Please tell me I'm going crazy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Been doing 15-18k a year or more depending on road trips. And far as maintenance, not actually much different, at 15k I will have done 3 oil changes at $80 each, or one cummins and fuel/water filters for $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Under $100 you can do a Red Line oil change in the 6.4 with Fram Ultra synthetic media filter and go 10-12k between changes. If you want to talk just standard oil changes, then get some cheaper stuff if you want to do 5k oil changes...no need for an $80 DIY oil change if you're gonna change it every 5k.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Been doing 15-18k a year or more depending on road trips. And far as maintenance, not actually much different, at 15k I will have done 3 oil changes at $80 each, or one cummins and fuel/water filters for $250.

It's a minimum of 2 oil changes per year. The cost to maintain these trucks isn't that bad though if you do it yourself. I changed my fuel filters in January of this year and the minder says they have 50% life left over 6400 miles. One thing I noticed was it says I have used 170 gallons of diesel since the change on the EVIC even though I have put 374 gallons in so I plan on just replacing them after 1 year regardless of mileage or what the minder says.

Congrats on the new truck, you'll love it.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

A Cummins oil/fuel filter change should not be even close to that much. If you do the oil change yourself then you are looking at $50 depending on the oil you use. I get my oil changes at the dealer and it is $65 if I catch their special and $75 regularly. I would not recommend the dealer change your fuel filter because they will grossly overcharge you when they are really easy to change. You can get both online for about $80- $85 and will take you about 20 minutes to change.

I don't see why a lot of people think the maintenance on the Cummins is so bad. It really isn't especially since the interval is 15k.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
A Cummins oil/fuel filter change should not be even close to that much. If you do the oil change yourself then you are looking at $50 depending on the oil you use. I get my oil changes at the dealer and it is $65 if I catch their special and $75 regularly. I would not recommend the dealer change your fuel filter because they will grossly overcharge you when they are really easy to change. You can get both online for about $80- $85 and will take you about 20 minutes to change.

I don't see why a lot of people think the maintenance on the Cummins is so bad. It really isn't especially since the interval is 15k.

When I had my 5.9L the only fuel filter I ever changed was the one under the hood. Where is the second one on the new diesels?

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
When I had my 5.9L the only fuel filter I ever changed was the one under the hood. Where is the second one on the new diesels?

By the rear axle, and that's why I went with a cummins also, 15k for the maintenance intervals, after just going on a 450 mile trip yesterday. It was nice to set the cruise. And maintain a nice steady pace in overdrive the whole time on the interstate

Joseph61189

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you so much for posting this. I have been having engine trouble as of late very similar to that being described and after reading this I investigated my manufacturing date, which is in September. Contacted my dealer about 10 minutes prior to posting this.

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

15000 mi but 6 mo is if you don't get to 15,000 first then it's every 6 mo ,drive it or not . Filters is another thing .

Personally I won't go 15,000 mi per oil change due to my turbo experience . But I'll never get there anyway per 6 mo warranty requirements

When you USE the 6.7 it's priceless

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
15000 mi but 6 mo is if you don't get to 15,000 first then it's every 6 mo ,drive it or not . Filters is another thing .

Personally I won't go 15,000 mi per oil change due to my turbo experience . But I'll never get there anyway per 6 mo warranty requirements

When you USE the 6.7 it's priceless

You can go longer than 6 months, but I would not recommend going past the 15k miles. Cummins recommends a full year in other 6.7L application with similar or even more strenuous than our duty cycle. Why Ram has it at 6 months in their manual I have now idea.

See thread below for more info.

2016 cummins... oil change