PML tranny pan for 66RFE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Dodge Ram Transmission Pan, Extra Deep, 45rfe, 545rfe, 68rfe - PML

After looking under my truck, it looks like I have plenty of room for the extra deep pan from PML that's 2" deeper overall compared to the stock unit. Everything under the engine/tranny is stock exhaust and I have probably 4" from the stock pan to the exhaust pipe that crossed the tranny pan towards the rear of the pan.

Basically, has anyone here used the deeper 11039 pan on their 2014+ 2500? I just want some peace of mind and a "yeah that'll work fine, have it on my truck" type of thing haha. Thanks for all input!

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Edit, looked at the dimensions and realized that the 4.7" depth at the rear of the 11039 pan would be too deep...guess I have to go with the stepped pan without as much added fluid capacity, yay.

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I added the 10304, 1" deeper. You will have to bend the cooler lines to fit. And or, trim the pan.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I added the 10304, 1" deeper. You will have to bend the cooler lines to fit. And or, trim the pan.

Looks like the 11079 will fit fine, it's only an inch deeper at the rear and 2-3" at the front...the rear of the pan is the only tight spot where the exhaust goes under the pan.

Looking at tranny and front/rear covers, in black...not cheap. Something like $830 shipped.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't waste your money on the front cover.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FWIW, I used a Mag-Hytec pan designed for the 45RFE/545RFE without issue. You can't use the 68RFE pan due to the exhaust crossover.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just curious what is gained with the deeper pan? I get it that you can hold more fluid but does that equate to some advantage like cooler temps? fwiw, my 66rfe tranny temps seem very reasonable even when towing 11,000# out west with plenty of mountains. During an outing last year with hours of steep winding roads I don't think I ever got above about 190.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just curious what is gained with the deeper pan? I get it that you can hold more fluid but does that equate to some advantage like cooler temps? fwiw, my 66rfe tranny temps seem very reasonable even when towing 11,000# out west with plenty of mountains. During an outing last year with hours of steep winding roads I don't think I ever got above about 190.

170-175 is my usual...I hate how high it seems compared to my 2014 half ton with the 65rfe...never got above 125. But yes, more fluid = lower temps.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My OCD would kill me.

Put a Carli diff guard on instead. If you do a search on cumminsforum you'll find a bunch of complaints about clearance. The extra capacity/finned covers don't actually cool the front diff since the diff doesn't ever get up to full temperature unless you tow heavy in four wheel drive long distances. The front axle isn't a driven in most standard uses.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2014 half ton with the 65rfe...never got above 125.

That's just crazy low temp on a tranny. I didn't think that was even possible but was just "edumacated" in a recent thread.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That's just crazy low temp on a tranny. I didn't think that was even possible but was just "edumacated" in a recent thread.

Yeah normal cruising was 118-122, got to 125-127 towing 10k haha.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Pulled the trigger on the 11079 pan and rear diff cover...excited to get dirty and see how dark this rear diff fluid is after just 30k miles (done a good deal of tow/haul though).

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Please post a DIY with pics if you can!

Does the new pan come with a drain plug?

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Please post a DIY with pics if you can!

Does the new pan come with a drain plug?

Yes it does, and they just came in today...look great! Very excited to get them on and I'll take as many pics as possible.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes it does, and they just came in today...look great! Very excited to get them on and I'll take as many pics as possible.

Nice. looking forward to the pics.

I noticed in your sig that you are running the Power Wagon suspension. Did you upgrade to the Power Wagon front control arms too?

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Nice. looking forward to the pics.

I noticed in your sig that you are running the Power Wagon suspension. Did you upgrade to the Power Wagon front control arms too?

I put on new shocks and springs all around, track bar up front, and rear sway bar links in the back. I did not put on new control arms. Looking online just now, I cannot find any Power Wagon specific control arms.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I put on new shocks and springs all around, track bar up front, and rear sway bar links in the back. I did not put on new control arms. Looking online just now, I cannot find any Power Wagon specific control arms.

I don't think they're worth the effort. Radius arms have a lot of bind in them, the PW arms just add in two more rubber bushings. I've been looking at the DOR 5-link conversion.

Dodge Off Road 5th Gen Long Arms

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Here are the part numbers for the Power Wagon control arms:

4877283AF

4877282AF

I was thinking of running a hybrid PW setup. PW coils up front to tame the ride a bit and level the truck, along with PW control arms for better articulation. Rear articulates well already and I would keep the rear coils stock, I hate a sagging truck lol. And switch out shocks for PW Bilstein 4600.

I would think this would be the best of both worlds PW vs stock 2500. Payload vs. offroad. I didn't buy this truck to be a serious rock crawler (its too big anyway and I would need to mount a front camera), I have my Wrangler for that stuff.