Power Wagon - King of the North

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Let's pump up the RAM brand shall we this morning! An interesting little article. PW beat out the Raptor and ZR2 on a long rough Canadian trip...just cruzing the rough roads. How do I get someone to give me a credit card and go beat the crap out of a truck for 8 days. Anyways... GO RAM!

Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 vs. Ford F-150 Raptor vs. Ram 2500 Power Wagon

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a awesome article and 3 awesome trucks to be honest.. definitely the PW owns the #1 factory off road truck, it is a beast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I read this when it came out the other week. Great article and ANOTHER great win for the Power Wagon. Ram has got a hell of a winner with that rig. Now if only they build the TRX...

It is nice to see the Big Three all building amazing off road machines. Would take the Power Wagon though, for all the reasons they summed up at the end of the article. It just does everything and is a real truck. Still has the spirit of the original PW.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was shocked it beat the raptor with all new new tech in it. I know nothing about the zr2 though.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I Second the Rebel Trx

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you believe the insiders on Allpar then something Trx'ish is likely with the next gen 1/2 ton. Exactly how far they will go with it was never discussed. However the Hemi life cycle was apparently extended to at least 2021 so good chance it will use some derivative of an SRT Hemi motor.

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
You mean I've GOT me a Jon Snow Truck? LOL
All kidding aside, this just reaffirms my decision to go with a new Power Wagon. I like this truck more each day!

tim57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
If they actually build the TRX my only problem will be convincing my wife why she needs to trade in her subaru so we can get another truck.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Raptors are cool and all, but I have met so many Raptor owners who were so smug. This article made me laugh as their precious Raptor got whooped by a lumber wagon(And I mean that in a good way!). LOLOL

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The only place a Raptor would beat a PW is in the dunes. Fast dune running for the PW is like throwing an Alaskan grizzly in the desert. Thats why Ram needs the TRX, it would slap the Raptor again, even in its own arena.

Oh, and FFS, keep the side dumped exhaust for production :happy107:

Last edited:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read this last week aswell and it was refreshing the "old" truck took top honors. I was prepared to see the usual "these 2 new trucks are so much better Yadayadayada......" you get when new models are tested, just makes me want the PW that much more.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Kind of funny how Chevy had to send the mid-side truck to play with the full-size boys.

Stock form these trucks are great. But the aftermarket world, I think had to go to Ram. I don't think any Raptor tuned/upgraded could hang with a 2500 CTD Carli or Thuren truck on Kings.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was shocked it beat the raptor with all new new tech in it. I know nothing about the zr2 though.

There is really nothing actually new besides slightly bigger shocks on the Raptor's suspension. The electronics are just gimiicks.

The Raptor is such a niche vehicle. Everyone thinks it's some king of off-roading. But it's not. It's good at going fast on the woops. That's it.

To wide for most trails, terrible payload and terrible tow rating. Can't even really use it like a truck. Might as well buy a Corvette.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kind of funny how Chevy had to send the mid-side truck to play with the full-size boys.

Stock form these trucks are great. But the aftermarket world, I think had to go to Ram. I don't think any Raptor tuned/upgraded could hang with a 2500 CTD Carli or Thuren truck on Kings.

Exactly- Take that 10k msrp difference and throw it at a carli or thuren set up and you got a truly bad ass truck.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just snapped this pic real quick out my office window but that's my "company" raptor. I drive it weekly and I will definitely say I was EXTREMELY let down when I first took it out lol. I had this idea in my head that this supercharged SVT blah blah blah was gunna be balls out..... Yeah definitely not. It's a older one obviously but my 07 hemi with just a tune and a few cheap bolt ons makes that thing feel like a school girl. The handling sucks, I load 10 sheets of 4X8X5/8 sheet rock in it and it's already squatting lol, the shifting is god awful it will hesitate like crazy sometimes, other times it shifts super early just to immediately shift back down. It's got 50k on it and serviced regularly through ford. Ever since we got it I've simply laughed at all the guys thinking there the stuff in there craptors 7a3f31e804fd917f765c57fa3a85bb61.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

hammer40

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Love my PW. Parked it next to a new Raptor last night and the guy came out and said, damn that is a big truck. I bet it will go anywhere. I told him that he needed to get his dirty and he said it would never be off the pavement. Go figure.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is really nothing actually new besides slightly bigger shocks on the Raptor's suspension. The electronics are just gimiicks.

The Raptor is such a niche vehicle. Everyone thinks it's some king of off-roading. But it's not. It's good at going fast on the woops. That's it.

To wide for most trails, terrible payload and terrible tow rating. Can't even really use it like a truck. Might as well buy a Corvette.

Do you mean besides the completely new power and drivetrain?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also bigger shocks, re-enforced frame and lighter truck amongst other small changes. It is a better performer than the previous generation. It all depends what you want your truck to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
For the kind of off roading I do, I would take the Raptor as a secondary truck especially since the new one has the new HO Gen 2 450 hp Ecoboost engine in it. Although the diesel ZR2 would probably do just as good while being more economical for the long trips I make during deer season.

Everyone's off road is different just as what everyone looks for in a truck is different. There is no perfect truck or perfect engine for everyone. If there were, then we would all buy the same truck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963