Pulling the trigger on tuner and CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Ok y'all, I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on the Diablo tuner from hemi fever tuning and a K&N CAI. Anyone have any other recommendations I may want to do. I already have an exhaust. 3" true duals from the cats back with 40 series flow master mufflers. I'm wanting to finally open it up with a tuner and take advantage of the exhaust and CAI.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sean will do a good job with your 6.4L HEMI. I really like how my tuning turned on the truck.

Do you want to keep MDS or turn it off? Let him know if you decide you want it off.

I just let him know what my mods were, that I wanted MDS off and that I wanted WOT shifts to occur at around 5300 RPM, just below the redline and max HP rating/RPM.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally would get the measurements of that filter from K&N"s web site - And go to afe"s web site and order their "Dry " version in the same size and order up a " Pre filter" bag for it. I have been wanting to do a cold air intake but I am personally not a fan of the oiled filters. I have looked into this as it is what I would do since K&N is the only one to currently offer a Cai- Afe has one in the works but it's not done yet. I know they have the same size filter and the bags and I think it would cost a extra 100$ from the last time that I looked into it. If you had some 456 gears ur mds would activate a hell ohf a lot more. " wish I did" lol - keep us posted. Gratz on the new mods to come-

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ok y'all, I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on the Diablo tuner from hemi fever tuning and a K&N CAI. Anyone have any other recommendations I may want to do. I already have an exhaust. 3" true duals from the cats back with 40 series flow master mufflers. I'm wanting to finally open it up with a tuner and take advantage of the exhaust and CAI.

If you have some extra time to tinker, Viking on here had a DIY Mod to the air box. While I was installing my K&N I did this as well. Go to the 4th Gen DIY & you will see how he did it. Basically adds another 3" tube from the grille to the bottom of the air box. It's not going to throw you back in the seat but I would imagine it adds 1 or 2 HP. It only costs a few bucks & about an hour of your time.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I personally would get the measurements of that filter from K&N"s web site - And go to afe"s web site and order their "Dry " version in the same size and order up a " Pre filter" bag for it. I have been wanting to do a cold air intake but I am personally not a fan of the oiled filters. I have looked into this as it is what I would do since K&N is the only one to currently offer a Cai- Afe has one in the works but it's not done yet. I know they have the same size filter and the bags and I think it would cost a extra 100$ from the last time that I looked into it. If you had some 456 gears ur mds would activate a hell ohf a lot more. " wish I did" lol - keep us posted. Gratz on the new mods to come-

aFe already sells one. Search for 'Power Wagon' on their site and it'll show up. It's a true CAI intake so it's a closed unit.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm waiting for AFE to release that CAI in lieu of getting the K&N setup that is currently available as the AFE is enclosed, takes cold air from the fender connection and has a LOT smoother inlet tube than the stock setup.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Here in West Virginia where I live the MDS never kicks in.

Hardly ever happens out here in Orygun either. :D

But I didn't care for the drone I got in full auto when MDS kicked on so I told Sean to shut if off.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Man I would love to get a tuner, maybe one day, but I'm looking on getting a light bar first maybe a 20" to 24".

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

This is nearly the exact same set up as I have minus the tune. Tell me how it turns out. I may finally pull the trigger on a tune within the next 12 months. Viking on here has the bass ass set up! I just can't get myself to purchase all of that with some of the other priorities/responsibilities I have now. Really would like to have headers but they have them way overly priced right now. Headers & tune probably helps a great deal with it's ability to pull loads.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
IMO, I would use the K&N money towards headers or a torque converter. Both will give you much greater benefit than the CAI, unless you're just looking for sound. The tuner will definitely help a bunch, especially with the right trans programming. But that said, just make sure you get a custom tune and not just the DS tunes. Otherwise you will be disappointed.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
IMO, I would use the K&N money towards headers or a torque converter. Both will give you much greater benefit than the CAI, unless you're just looking for sound.

SOME OF US ARE NOT THAT RICH VIKING!!!
:roflsquared: Just kidding.
Those headers are really high though. I am guessing cause they have the converters & O2 Sensor mounts in them. :shrug:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you'd sell that nice 68 Power Wagon you would have more than enough money for header, tune, and whatever else one could dream up:)

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, they are catted headers. No doubt they are expensive, but if you see the build quality and spot-on fitment it helps explain the price. ARH, Kooks and SW are the premium (made in the US) brands are all pretty similar price wise. When I bought Kooks for the Mustang it was pretty much the same ballpark. Guess I just get numb to it after a while. But when you compare them to the stock POS log style manifolds it's easy to understand why they make such a big difference.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you'd sell that nice 68 Power Wagon you would have more than enough money for header, tune, and whatever else one could dream up:)

Unfortunately that is not mine. :(That is one of my dream trucks.:naughty: I think that one is a 52'. When I win the lotto I am going to buy a fully restored one & then another one to play in & get dirty. :)
When you did your headers & exhaust, did you cut the long tubes at the Y Pipe & run true duels or run a single in duel out muffler?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No, the ARH headers bolted right up to the stock exhaust assembly. I later bought the MF19200 (single out) and obviously that bolted right up to the headers/midpipe. No cutting involved. Nobody makes a true dual and I don't trust anybody local to fab something up out of stainless.

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Is there any reason to buy brand new / from a certain retailer vs a used on on eBay? Looks like you can find intunes for $250 on ebay. Is it cheaper to get a custom tune right away vs down the road? Main changes on my truck I want to make would be adjust speedometer and turn of MDS; more interested in the tuning features for the Challenger.