R46 Another Recall And Steering Related

Are you satified with the build quality of your truck

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
To me it seems the 14's are having more recalls then the 15s. I haven't had 1 recall with my truck yet but my buddy with a 14 has had just as many as you guys.

And fit/finish for my truck is just as nice as my 14 Silverado that I got rid of for this truck.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only recall on my 15 so far has been the uconnect.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've had 3 recalls.. 2 of them reprogramming and just the other day same has everyone here.. the weld issue related to steering, my truck was built in Nov/Dec 2013 in Mexico and Delivered to Canada late Jan. Do these recalls have anything to do with where they were built too?

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
I've had 3 on my 2014, got them all fixed last week. Steering wheel wires, side airbag recalibration, and side airbag foil patches.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah Ive gotten all of them, told the dealer mechanic he has spent more time wrenching on my truck then I have. TPMS one they can't do larger tires, but said they would pay shop of my choosing to get it done. No complaints with the build quality yet.

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I've had 3 recalls.. 2 of them reprogramming and just the other day same has everyone here.. the weld issue related to steering, my truck was built in Nov/Dec 2013 in Mexico and Delivered to Canada late Jan. Do these recalls have anything to do with where they were built too?

The weld recall I believe is only on the HD trucks as far as I know and I may be wrong all HD trucks (2500 and 3500) and all Regular cab trucks (1500, 2500 and 3500) are built in Saltillo Mexico. All the 1500s with the exception of the regular cabs are built in Warren Michigan.

If that is correct then yes the affected trucks are all built in the same place. I did read the chronology of the weld failure. The weld that fails is a lap weld. The subject welds were done at a vendor and lack the proper fusion. In addition Lap welds are usually never a good idea anyway. There have been at least 4 documented cases of failure, 2 full and 2 partial. There is a thread on the cummings forum by one of these guys who it happened to.
According to the NHTSA there has been at least one minor crash attributed to this with no personal injury.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...getCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=15V541

Last edited:

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm with a lot of these guys... I don't want people welding or drilling in my new truck.... Isn't with these frames your not suppose to drill holes on them? It's use existing holes or weld?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've had one recall on my '12 and that's getting done tomorrow (R-34 air bag harness in steering column).
I think RAM is a victim of their own success. A huge sales increase pressurized the production line and corners got cut in 2014.

Same thing Toyota went through a couple years ago when their quality went into the crapper.

Add to that NHTSB has amped up enforcement of recalls and it makes RAM look egregious when they're probably more average for the US industrial base.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
If I wouldn't take a bath on this thing, I would get rid of it also...

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Recalls are common with all makes and most of the time its from outsourced parts and/or labor. So far I've only been notified of the USB recall. I'm just happy that they are making us aware of the issues & willing to fix them at their expense.

I would like to know if the steering issue has affected any 2015's.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Got notice of R36 and R46 in the last 2 weeks. I keep my U-Connect up to date from the website(which is newer that what FCA will send or install), but I got the R40 a week before those.

New model year vehicles have more recalls than those that have been out a couple years. It is what it is.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
New model year vehicles have more recalls than those that have been out a couple years. It is what it is.

It kinda sucks though because R46 could be a major issue. I just checked my VIN and it's an outstanding recall for my truck although I haven't received the notice in the mail yet. I don't want to be around if that thing lets go at 110kmph and what about the trucks that are not exhibiting symptoms now, but could in 3 or 4 years? A broken track bar weld to frame is not something I would consider normal wear and tear- that **** should be solid for the lifetime of the truck.

But... reading into the issue a little deeper, it seems these are really isolated. I may be reading incorrectly- but possibly an issue with a second shift at the manufacturing plant not receiving proper training prior to replacing them with automated systems?

The day by day of this recall:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM485365/RMISC-15V541-7061.pdf

Just one more damn thing to be paranoid about. I am tempted to take it to our local speed shop and have them grind the welds out and weld it again just so I don't have to think about it. I shudder at the thought of the techs at the dealership doing any welding on/ around the frame of my truck :/

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just went out and checked my welds. They are OK, sloppy but OK. Mine wrap all the way around the bracket rather than just (as it looks in photos of those failed) just a couple end to end welds. No cracks or evidence of breakage. Hopefully they devise some kind of re-enforcement bracket to bolt over it so we don't have to deal with people who have no business welding a frame welding a frame.

Last edited:

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It kinda sucks though because R46 could be a major issue. I just checked my VIN and it's an outstanding recall for my truck although I haven't received the notice in the mail yet. I don't want to be around if that thing lets go at 110kmph and what about the trucks that are not exhibiting symptoms now, but could in 3 or 4 years? A broken track bar weld to frame is not something I would consider normal wear and tear- that **** should be solid for the lifetime of the truck.

But... reading into the issue a little deeper, it seems these are really isolated. I may be reading incorrectly- but possibly an issue with a second shift at the manufacturing plant not receiving proper training prior to replacing them with automated systems?

The day by day of this recall:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM485365/RMISC-15V541-7061.pdf

Just one more damn thing to be paranoid about. I am tempted to take it to our local speed shop and have them grind the welds out and weld it again just so I don't have to think about it. I shudder at the thought of the techs at the dealership doing any welding on/ around the frame of my truck :/
Looks like the scare tactics work well for you [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looks like the scare tactics work well for you [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Scare tactics?

Not sure if something like this would be a scare tactic, but maybe I am missing something- it is kinda late and I am a little loopy from lack of sleep
:crazy:
E8D46ED3-7F25-4075-9DC9-A38D6F0EBD9A_zpsxgt0clzz.png

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Mine looks fine. The weld is sloppy, but I can actually see the penetration behind the bracket. I wonder if there will be any, "well, your lift caused extra stress" on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I wonder if there will be any, "well, your lift caused extra stress" on this one.

By law, they can also refuse to work on it if you made a modification or added a part that they (the manufacturer) does not know how to repair or impedes in the repair of the warrantable part. I have seen this happen one time although the guys crappy attitude probably attributed to the dealer telling him this. They basically told him that they have no knowledge of how take off his suspension lift that is impeding the repair so in order for them to not be held liable they requested him to take off his lift and then they would perform the warrantable repair. I looked it up and this is 100% legal for them to do that.

Last edited:

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've only got 5100 miles on my 15 and have yet to have anything go wrong, but then if I had stuff breaking or quitting at 5,000 miles on a $50k rig I'd be way less than happy. I did do the security update, and don't probably use my truck near as hard as many others, especially since I bought it just to pull my boat down the highway and it will probably never see much off road action or work truck life. Having said all that, I'm giving pretty serious thought to buying the lifetime bumper to bumber warranty!