Ram 1500 5.7 to 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello everyone

The issue I am having is pulling my 8.5x18" enclosed trailer with tools, two bikes and other stuff. My trailer is always loaded to 6000# to 7000# and pulls ok with my 2014 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 3.92 gears with no wind. I pulled this setup from OKC to Patrick AFB, FL in Febuary with the only issue being a slight headwind from FT Worth to Houston and a crosswind on I95 from Jacksonville, FL to Patrick AFB, FL. It wasn't white knuckle but noticable.

On my return trip once I got up into the north Georgia and Alabama area with the rolling hills and a 10 to 15 MPH headwind things started to get tense. The rolling hills with the headwind really put the hurt on my 1500. My eight speed transmission generaly stayed in 5th gear going up hill and 6th going down with speeds from 60-65MPH, a few times in shifted to 4th to maintain 60MPH. For comparison my truck will maintain 70 MPH in 7th on flat ground with no wind. Anyway my drive back sucked so bad I started looking at 2500's.

I do not pull that often and want the best daily driver tow vehicle I can get. My dealer has a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 3.73 gears that appears to be what I need. This vehicle will be used to pull my 8.5x18 enclosed from OKC to San Antonio once every two months or so (family staying here as I complete my last assignment in San Antonio), a trip to Sturges this year and short 2-300 mile trips around Texas. While I would love to have a 6.7 CTD im not sure it would be the best thing for me. First I would have a hard time moving from a limited to a Big horn or tradesman and 6.7 CTD for a 18" foot trailer?

What I would love to know is other peoples experience moving from a 1500 5.7 to a 2500 6.4 in regards to power and stability? If the difference is huge or small between the two trucks with towing?
I want to be able to tow the speed limit in all wind conditions, feel stable and not have to steer away from big rigs when they pass me, actually I don't want to be passed by every big rig on the road.

Thank you in advance for the advice and help with this.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Different scenario for me but I have been towing caliche to my ranch from a location about 17miles away. I had a 2013 1500 hemi 4x4 crew cab. I was at around 10k lbs pulling with it maintaining 65mph. Not a long distance but it was enough for me to realize that any continual pulling was gonna kill my truck. Had major squat.
Towing a few round bales as well. My 1500 did ok, but I needed better capability.

I decided to buy a 2500 but with the Cummins. That truck with the exhaust brake is AWESOME. I pulled 12k lbs of caliche to my ranch and did about 5 loads with no issue and NO SQUAT. the truck was almost level after the weight was added to the trailer.

The exhaust brake alone was a MAJOR help. Slowing down that weight, i barely had to tap the brake to slow that down.

After all this, my question is, why not go for a Cummins? I doubt theres anything you can throw at it that it cant do, and do well.

OP
OP
O

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the reply

I would love to have the 6.7 and it may be the way I go. I have heard two things about cummins, They are reliable from one camp and they will always be in the shop from the other.
Back in east Texas growing up it seemed everyone had 2500 3500's with a cummins, 5.9 I think? and those trucks did seem to last a long time with not many issues and they got used hard.
The new ones the same?

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
From what I've read, the people having issues with newer cummins trucks are those who idle them alot and city drive a lot.

Apparently the issue is that they need more heat to burn off the soot in the filters. Whats happening is that they clog up and have to regen a lot more. Im not sure how often these trucks need to regen but I have about 4k miles and its only a bit less than a quarter of the DEF tank. So thats not bad. Im seeing 14mpg pure city and 18MPG all highway 70-75mph. Mixed i see about 15mpg with some mild towing.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I went from a 5.7L MegaCab to a 6.4L CC. Both trucks had 3.73 gears.

The 6.4L has a lot more power available for pulling hills as long as you understand how tow/haul mode works.

I'm glad I did it.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
hello everyone

The issue I am having is pulling my 8.5x18" enclosed trailer with tools, two bikes and other stuff. My trailer is always loaded to 6000# to 7000# and pulls ok with my 2014 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 3.92 gears with no wind. I pulled this setup from OKC to Patrick AFB, FL in Febuary with the only issue being a slight headwind from FT Worth to Houston and a crosswind on I95 from Jacksonville, FL to Patrick AFB, FL. It wasn't white knuckle but noticable.

On my return trip once I got up into the north Georgia and Alabama area with the rolling hills and a 10 to 15 MPH headwind things started to get tense. The rolling hills with the headwind really put the hurt on my 1500. My eight speed transmission generaly stayed in 5th gear going up hill and 6th going down with speeds from 60-65MPH, a few times in shifted to 4th to maintain 60MPH. For comparison my truck will maintain 70 MPH in 7th on flat ground with no wind. Anyway my drive back sucked so bad I started looking at 2500's.

I do not pull that often and want the best daily driver tow vehicle I can get. My dealer has a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 3.73 gears that appears to be what I need. This vehicle will be used to pull my 8.5x18 enclosed from OKC to San Antonio once every two months or so (family staying here as I complete my last assignment in San Antonio), a trip to Sturges this year and short 2-300 mile trips around Texas. While I would love to have a 6.7 CTD im not sure it would be the best thing for me. First I would have a hard time moving from a limited to a Big horn or tradesman and 6.7 CTD for a 18" foot trailer?

What I would love to know is other peoples experience moving from a 1500 5.7 to a 2500 6.4 in regards to power and stability? If the difference is huge or small between the two trucks with towing?
I want to be able to tow the speed limit in all wind conditions, feel stable and not have to steer away from big rigs when they pass me, actually I don't want to be passed by every big rig on the road.

Thank you in advance for the advice and help with this.

I am in the same boat, bought a 2500 with the 6.4 (waiting on it right now) to pull my TT, my 1500 did the job, but not what I would call ideal.
From what I hear just going to the 2500 with the added weight, bigger axles, driveline, etc.... and how the power of the motor is transferred to the wheels, makes a world of difference compared to the 1500, whether it is pulling a trailer or just plowing snow.....then there is the choice of motor, I was planning to go with the 5.7, until I found our about the 6.4 early last year, which made it a no brainer to decide on the 6.4 when I finally ordered my truck a week ago.

From what I've read, the people having issues with newer cummins trucks are those who idle them alot and city drive a lot.

Apparently the issue is that they need more heat to burn off the soot in the filters. Whats happening is that they clog up and have to regen a lot more. Im not sure how often these trucks need to regen but I have about 4k miles and its only a bit less than a quarter of the DEF tank. So thats not bad. Im seeing 14mpg pure city and 18MPG all highway 70-75mph. Mixed i see about 15mpg with some mild towing.

That is what I hear as well.....people like your local municipality that buys diesel trucks, but never uses them for what they are meant for!!

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
You need to go drive a 6.4 and a CTD and determine which is best for you. They are completely different trucks...and one or the other may fit your driving style better even if you don't tow much. With the 8-speed and 3.92's in your 1500 that weighs ~1700# less than a 2500, I can tell you that the 6.4 is going to feel considerably different in everyday driving. The 8 speed has some excellent gearing for take off's. The 6 speed in the 2500 is much higher geared. Your fuel mileage is going to be considerably less also with a 6.4. Stability will be greatly improved towing your trailer with either a 6.4 or CTD. These new 2500 RAM trucks are stout! Big winds are tough on either, more so the 6.4 as it has to work more than the CTD. Very little mpg difference in the 6.4 when comparing 3.73 and 4.10's, so IMHO, go with the 4.10's for the extra grunt. There is lots of good info on this site. If you got a few days...lol....you'll be able to read enough until your head is about to explode. Good luck! :waytogo:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I came from a half ton to a 3/4 ton. I dragged 2,200 pounds in the bed about 300 miles through wicked terrain and I was blown away by how the truck handled. I couldn't spring the extra 10k for the diesel.. plus my wife makes tons of short trips.. and I let that pig idle a **** load. I love my truck..and sadly I will never go half ton again.. so many times in the past I found my self needing more truck and now that I have it.. I am in love lol. Go drive one, as said above opt for the 4:10"s it will help the mds activate more. and try to get them to throw in a set of factory steps.. these things are tall. you should be able to find a good deal on one. Best of luck.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Lots of guys replied here with much more Ram experience than I have. However, here is my take on why I have a 2500 Mega Cab 6.4 currently on order.

I will tow but not even as much as you do. I will get decent MPGs with the 6.4 considering how big and heavy the truck is. I didn't spend an additional $8K for the diesel, the PM and oil service will not cost nearly as much and repairs on the 6.4 compared to the diesel will be much less. And the biggest reason is that I will purchase the Chrysler Lifetime Warranty for my truck that you can't get with the diesel.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Lots of guys replied here with much more Ram experience than I have. However, here is my take on why I have a 2500 Mega Cab 6.4 currently on order.

I will tow but not even as much as you do. I will get decent MPGs with the 6.4 considering how big and heavy the truck is. I didn't spend an additional $8K for the diesel, the PM and oil service will not cost nearly as much and repairs on the 6.4 compared to the diesel will be much less. And the biggest reason is that I will purchase the Chrysler Lifetime Warranty for my truck that you can't get with the diesel.

The difference between the oil changes isn't that much because of the required 0w40 synthetic the 6m4 takes.

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Some good advice here. The others will always talk bad about their competing trucks, but in the end, the cummins are solid. They are having some issues with non drive train parts, but they are working them out. They will last longer than the fire throwing fords for sure! Good luck and let us know what you do.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Hmmm, how did this turn into a "I need to point out negative things about the 6.7L so I can justify my purchase of a 6.4L" thread?

the PM and oil service will not cost nearly as much.

This is not true. The 6.4L requires a special oil that drives the price up per oil change and you have to change the oil in the 6.4L almost twice per one oil change in the 6.7L CTD so yhe cost on PM is aout the same if you add a fuel filter change to the 6.7L as well.

repairs on the 6.4 compared to the diesel will be much less.

Yes, the parts and labor cost more for a diesel, but it is the difference in time (just like with the oil changes) that negate the cost difference.

Also, that $8K that you spoke about that a diesel cost more will mostly be gotten back on trade in or resale. Do a Kelly Blue Book value of your truck and than do one with a 6.7L in it. I can garuantee you the one with the 6.7L in it will be worth between $5k to $7k more, and more soo the higher the mileage goes.

Now let's stay on topic shall we.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
hello everyone

The issue I am having is pulling my 8.5x18" enclosed trailer with tools, two bikes and other stuff. My trailer is always loaded to 6000# to 7000# and pulls ok with my 2014 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 3.92 gears with no wind. I pulled this setup from OKC to Patrick AFB, FL in Febuary with the only issue being a slight headwind from FT Worth to Houston and a crosswind on I95 from Jacksonville, FL to Patrick AFB, FL. It wasn't white knuckle but ......

Oceancbr, to best help you we need more info and what your expectations are from this truck. You were rather vague on your expectations and only stated what your last truck did. The Ram 2500 has a wide array of engine options and configuration depending on what you are wanting.

If the power of your 5.7L was more than plenty, but you just want more stability when towing then the 5.7L will suit you fine. If you want more power than what the 5.7L can offer then you might want to step up to the 6.4L. If you want even more towing power especially i higher altitudes then that then the 6.7L diesel is available for you.

You mentioned speed limits in your post and how the 5.7L backed down to a certain speed when towing. Are you looking to maintain the speed limit at all times no matter what elevation or grade with this new truck? You also mentioned rpms in another forum. Do higher rpms concern you or do they not bother you? Be more specific so we can best help you out.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hmmm, how did this turn into a "I need to point out negative things about the 6.7L so I can justify my purchase of a 6.4L" thread?

This is not true. The 6.4L requires a special oil that drives the price up per oil change and you have to change the oil in the 6.4L almost twice per one oil change in the 6.7L CTD so yhe cost on PM is aout the same if you add a fuel filter change to the 6.7L as well.

Every 10k with the 6.4 vs every 15k with a cummins. That is irrelevant for most because a lot of people aren't going to go 15k between oil changes, there is still blowby and fuel contamination in the oil from cold starts especially in the wintertime.

Yes, the parts and labor cost more for a diesel, but it is the difference in time (just like with the oil changes) that be gate the cost difference.

Also, that $8K that you spoke about that a diesel cost more will mostly be gotten back on trade in or resale. Do a Kelly Blue Book value of your truck and than do one with a 6.7L in it. I can garuantee you the one with the 6.7L in it will be worth between $5k to $7k more, and more soo the higher the mileage goes.

Now let's stay on topic shall we.

It is funny you bring up resale. I decided to do that exact test a few weeks ago. The Cummins was worth $2200 more than my truck, so not exactly a great selling point.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Last edited:

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
A cummins would be great man. Personally id love to have one but where i drive and what use my truck for its not reasonable. I can tell you anything under 8k is nothing for the 6.4. Even hills and wind arent going to affect how it drives much. The biggest limiting factor is the transmission behind both of these motors. As far as im concerned the 6.4 is as close to a diesel as you will get with a gas motor. To me it sounds like a 6.4 hemi will do just fine but if you really want the cummins then the $10k upcharge will be well worth it. If you do get a 6.4 just make sure it has 4.10 gears.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It is funny you bring up resale. I decided to do that exact test a few weeks ago. The Cummins was worth $2200 more than my truck, so not exactly a great selling point.

Tell me about it. I wish some guys would just be happy with what they got.
Please guys, do not start this **** again. This guy does not need a cummins, he wants one. This now has nothing to do with capability or resale value. Whether 10 grand is worth his happiness or will the 6.4 be fine. To me if theres something you want, get it because nothing is going to be exactly what you want other than the original thing. We can all agree the 6.4 will do everything he needs it for and he can spend his money however he seems fit. If a diesel is what he wants then the 6.4 will always seem inadequate. Just my .02 though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963