Ram 1500 5.7 to 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If its possible for you to get a Diesel, get it. I always told myself I didnt "Need" a diesel. But the more I towed the more the itch got me.

Now that I have it, I love it! Ill never go back down to gas :)

Heres my Tradesman with OEM Laramie wheels on 285/65R20 BF Goodrich All Terrain TA/KO2

20150428_111333_zpsrxt93fl4.jpg
20150428_111344_zpshsg16vas.jpg

OP
OP
O

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I went and drove the 2500 6.4 today and came to this conclusion, either upgrade to the 6.7 or keep what I got. That said I am going to keep my 1500 limited for now and deal with it as the 2500 6.4 seemed to shift even more than my 1500 5.7 leaving me to believe that while it may be more stable towing platform it wouldn't be a huge jump in capabilities.

In regards to F150's and Silverados, my 2013 F150 broke with 8k miles (trans) pulling 8k pounds from Washington state to Oklahoma. I drove F150's all my life (7 total) until that trip and after it taking ford two months, five lies and two dealerships to fix, well I was not happy. That F150 was a 5.0 max tow 3.73 gears etc. After that I bought a 1979 CJ7 and drove it for a year in protest to new trucks, followed by a Subaru WRX and a CBR1000, freshly divorced and in chick chasing mode I guess. Then I got a 2014 Silverado with the new DI 5.3. Honestly the silverado was a nice truck and felt like it had plenty of power but after 7 yes 7 trips to the dealer for repairs and weird vibrations I said to hell with that truck. Then I drove the tundra and Ram, and became one of the fastest growing truck in america bandwagon people. I never considered ram before I got this one and can say it is superior to the others. I may feel that way because I got a limited but it is nicer and more powerful than other half tons I have had. The ford ecoB may be better for towing but after my last F150 and turbo WRX (to tempting to modify) I didn't even consider the ECOB.

FYI my truck has the factory air ride and it keeps truck at the proper stance regardless of the load. The ram air suspension is neat, check it out if your not familiar with it.

All that said Im going to just wait and see what the future holds, maybe a new bigger trailer one day hooked to a limited 6.7 CTD, for now Im going to keep what I got and have some fun riding motorcycles. No worries zone

thanks everyone for the info

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I went and drove the 2500 6.4 today and came to this conclusion, either upgrade to the 6.7 or keep what I got. That said I am going to keep my 1500 limited for now and deal with it as the 2500 6.4 seemed to shift even more than my 1500 5.7 leaving me to believe that while it may be more stable towing platform it wouldn't be a huge jump in capabilities.

Im going to just wait and see what the future holds, maybe a new bigger trailer one day hooked to a limited 6.7 CTD, for now Im going to keep what I got.

thanks everyone for the info

The cummins is way more capable than your 5.7, if I were you I'd drag your trailer to the dealership and hook it to the 6.4 and 6.7. I have heard of plenty of dealerships that allow this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Hmmmmm you don't think a 6.4 2500 is more capable than a 5.7 1500?

I haven't driven a Ram 1500 but somehow I'd have to believe the 6.4 2500 is more capable in pretty much every aspect.

Just my opinion. .......

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
^^^yes it is much more capable...

OP
OP
O

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As I said I believe it is more capable. However not the huge jump I would want if making the switch.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
..... my 2013 F150 broke with 8k miles (trans) pulling 8k pounds from Washington state to Oklahoma. I drove F150's all my life (7 total) until that trip and after it taking ford two months, five lies and two dealerships to fix, well I was not happy. That F150 was a 5.0 max tow 3.73 gears etc.

Ford never made a max tow F150 with a 5.0L in 2013. It was only a 3.5L Ecoboost or the 6.2L V8.

If you wanted pulling power in the F150 in that year, then the 3.5L Ecoboost would have been the way to go. I have pulled about 9.5k lots of times with that truck and it always kept speed of 65 or 70 mph even up some steep grades. Especially after I had it 5 Star tuned and it put out 420 hp and 530 lb-ft (@ 2,500 rpm) with my tow tune. Tuned, that engine is about the closest thing you will get to a diesel with its gobs of low end torque. Where most N/A V8s I had were spinning at 5,000 rpms barely able to do 55 mph pulling the load up a hill, that Ecoboost would be at 2,000-3,000 rpm keeping the speed limit of 65 mph.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Max tow, referring to the most capable 5.0 at the time.
Your right though, it's been awhile but I do slightly remember the "max tow" F150. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

I have heard really good things about 3.5 eb

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As I said I believe it is more capable. However not the huge jump I would want if making the switch.

Guess it depends on what you need it for. Double payload, lots more usable towing, bigger brakes, stiffer frame more hp and torque. Now a seat of the pants hot rod it's not and not meant to be. It's a working truck and handles and delivers in that department. The diesel does as well with a small reduction in payload. I'm a fan of the cummins, just not in the stop and go traffic I am in daily.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I was talking about you....

I knew you were which is why I said what I said. To show how little I care. All this because I have a different engine in my truck. I wonder how you feel towards people that drive a different brand.

Research post-purchase rationalization and choice-supportive bias. Then come back to this thread and see where it is happening. I am not saying anyone made a bad decision or that they feel like they did. I am just saying they feel the need to confirm or justify their decision which is just human nature to do so. Most people do it without even realizing it. The very fact that one feels the need to point out the negatives of something else that they did not choose proves that they have post-purchase rationalization. If they didn't feel that way then they would not feel the need to say anything at all.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well that's awsome.. start socking away money know so when u upgrade u can get what you want!!
those Eco boost f150"s are awsome!! I almost got a fx4 and with my work discount that truck was still 7k more than my ram was otd. Now when I say awsome I mean as a daily driver.. and with minimal towing, I have driven one with 9k worth of trailer behind it.. and **** that ****. talk about a white knuckle expereiance.. that thing was way light in the front end.. remember it's only a v6, will they pull it.. sure.. but not as easily as some of the other trucks. plus if I had one I would have to spend the 4k for full intake/exhaust/ and tune. Hey now that cummins is going into nissans and toyotas, I bet people will buy those like hot cakes untill they realize the only good thing is the motor.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The payload was the biggest reason for me. I'll never tow over 12k so I couldn't justify the diesel but wanted the headroom that you get with a 2500 plus SFA etc. You'd be amazed what you can put in the bed or hook up to these and it acts like nothings even there.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You cared enough to quote me, twice. thanks for giving a damn....

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You can keep obsessing over me but it's not working. Im straight Texan. Look elsewhere to smoke pole...

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
You can keep obsessing over me but it's not working. Im straight Texan. Look elsewhere to smoke pole...

Okay, gotcha Bro. Don't worry, I am married to a beautiful wife so no ****.

Last edited:

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The payload was the biggest reason for me. I'll never tow over 12k so I couldn't justify the diesel but wanted the headroom that you get with a 2500 plus SFA etc. You'd be amazed what you can put in the bed or hook up to these and it acts like nothings even there.

It is impressive, I haul near or at capacity at lease once a week and it handles it like a champ. A couple of days ago I had a pallet of concrete dropped in the bed and could still beat some of the other trucks off the line...The towing I've only tested lightly but the way it handles 3k in the bed is awesome