Ram 2500 5.7 Torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skiffler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just traded my 1500 with the 5.7 and picked up a 2017 2500 5.7 got a good deal truck only had 15k miles on it. Anyhow I love the truck but wish it had a little more punch. It definitely feels slower than the 1500 I am sure due to the weight.

I stepped up to the 2500 because I tow my boat of 8500lbs often. The 1500 handled it ok the engine had plenty of power just wanted a little more truck when pulling. I actually haven’t pulled the boat yet plan to do so this weekend.

So are there any upgrades I can do to give it a little more low end torque and ideally not mess with the warranty. From what I read an engine programmer would be a good start. What about a cai and a high flow muffler on the other end.

Thanks for the help.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Gears. They would makes the biggest difference all around.
Are you 4x2 or 4x4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Gears. They would makes the biggest difference all around.
Are you 4x2 or 4x4?

this! mopar makes an oem 4.44 gear and if I ever re gear from my 3.73s, I'm going straight to the 4.44

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^^ agreed. Best money spent would be gears. You can quickly chew up the same amount in other mods and be at the same result. Regearing doesn't mess around with anything under the hood :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you got the 5.7 a lot of the same mods will fit ur 2500-
Gears are hands down best bang for the buck-
A good custom tune would help-

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know what you have for gears in yours but mine has 4.10's already.

I added a BullyDog GT tuner and MBRP single cat back.
I haven't done a BFI(or CAI)because of different reports on whether they actually make a difference for low end power and torque numbers.

I haul sleds and a boat all the time and I wanted better mileage and low end power. I don't Rev my truck to the moon, and I don't care to know how fast in a quarter mile it goes. I just wanted something that was better on fuel than factory and had some more bottom end to keep it running in that 2k range while knocking on 60-65mph.

So far I'm impressed, unloaded and loaded. Fuel mileage improved drastically(an extra 150km to a tank unloaded. 100km loaded) which over time means the mods I did will pay for themselves in fuel savings over a single year. I'm all in for that!

I haven't even played with the tuner or buying custom tunes for it(although I think I'd go with hemifever's tune for the GT) if I get that far.
I think my next investment is a electric fan next spring. I heard that is good for 1mpg.

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should add, I'd love to do long tube headers for their torque increase but I have an issue swallowing a 2k price tag. And I hear shorties make the cab smell of fuel. With 3 young kids and a wife with me most times, that's not gonna go over well at all.
But if money wasn't an object, I'd be in for headers in the near future.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So to clarify, if you have a 4x4 and upgrade gears, you have to upgrade both axles?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As others mentioned, gears first. Nothing else is going to come close to helping as much with towing (sort of going FI). CAI and muffler are going to do nothing noticeable except make the truck louder. Programmer with a custom tune will help considerably with the factory trans tuning, as well as some additional HP. But it won't solve the Hemi's soft bottom end.

Otherwise bolt on a Whipple and damn the warranty. You'll never need to complain about lack of power or torque again.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
LOL...My 1994 Chevy had the exact amount of torque rating as these 2018 5.7 Hemi engines....LoooooooL

Last edited:

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Gears would be an instant improvement. There are ALOT more mods available for the 5.7L vs. 6.4L. Pretty sure you could mod it to make more power vs. stock 6.4L without too much difficulty.

Bigger TB, Headers, Cam, Tune etc.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Gears would be an instant improvement. There are ALOT more mods available for the 5.7L vs. 6.4L. Pretty sure you could mod it to make more power vs. stock 6.4L without too much difficulty.

Bigger TB, Headers, Cam, Tune etc.

I haven’t seen a cam yet, but the others are available for a 6.4. They use the same TB and headers.

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW - The exhaust didn't do anything for power I don't feel. But it helped in fuel economy. Headers is where I'd expect power to change. Also, with the jump in torque numbers at 2100rpm means economy will be better too. Even if it's small, it's a gain.