ram 2500 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
Hi all.... just wondering any 2500 regular cab owners with the 6.4? looking at a 2500 6.4l slt 4x4 reg cab with the 8.4a and alot of other stuff both backup cameras... was wondering if
1. whats your mpgs?
2. with the 6.4 it brings the gvwr to 10,000# correct? im just seeing if id have to register it commercial or anything like that
3. yes i have considerd the diesel engine as i will be plowing and towing a trailer for landscaping but not sure if its worth the extra 8k
IF I WENT DIESEL ID MOST LIKELY GET A CREW CAB SHORT BOX TRADESMAN...

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Check out the 6.4 thread. Lots of info there. As far as gas vs diesel, we can read for months on that subject. I had diesel, loved it. But I do lawn care also, and the diesel didnt like the short low speed trips that I frequently do. I had dpf issues that cost lots of money. You can delete some of those systems, but at expence of your warranty.
Ive been plowing with a gasser for 25 yrs with no issuse, so Imo, either works ok.
I have a 3500 crew cab with the 6.4 and am getting around 14 mixed.

OP
OP
D

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
Check out the 6.4 thread. Lots of info there. As far as gas vs diesel, we can read for months on that subject. I had diesel, loved it. But I do lawn care also, and the diesel didnt like the short low speed trips that I frequently do. I had dpf issues that cost lots of money. You can delete some of those systems, but at expence of your warranty.
Ive been plowing with a gasser for 25 yrs with no issuse, so Imo, either works ok.
I have a 3500 crew cab with the 6.4 and am getting around 14 mixed.

Plowing I'm going to assume the mpg is bad.. Maybe a 2500 crew can with the 6.4 wouldn't be that bad. I just don't want to go broke due to the fuel costs

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
On my worst in town errands, traffic, idling, I've gotten to 11.0. Most time I'm in high 12s to mid 14s on other trips, with into the 16 on the highway. I've only 400 miles though on my CC.

cubscory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm in the same boat as "mowin"....I own a landscape company as well. I had a 2011 and a 2012 2500 Mega cab Cummins, constant DPF issues on both. Was actually able to get buy backs on both. I have ditched the idea of a diesel and have a 2014 6.4 2500 Mega on order.

If you're using the diesel hard, day in day out, you should be fine. If you're doing a lot of estimates/short trips between jobs/idling..... My experience says better off gas. I have other diesels (Chevy) in the field everyday that are fine, but they pull heavy loads every day.

My 6.7 averages 14.7 with my driving style. I don't see the 6.4 being that far off......just my 2 cents.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Plowing I'm going to assume the mpg is bad.. Maybe a 2500 crew can with the 6.4 wouldn't be that bad. I just don't want to go broke due to the fuel costs

MPG's plowing are gonna be lower, but dont think a crew cab is gojng to do better or worse mpg wise than a reg cab while plowing,

OP
OP
D

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
I'm in the same boat as "mowin"....I own a landscape company as well. I had a 2011 and a 2012 2500 Mega cab Cummins, constant DPF issues on both. Was actually able to get buy backs on both. I have ditched the idea of a diesel and have a 2014 6.4 2500 Mega on order.

If you're using the diesel hard, day in day out, you should be fine. If you're doing a lot of estimates/short trips between jobs/idling..... My experience says better off gas. I have other diesels (Chevy) in the field everyday that are fine, but they pull heavy loads every day.

My 6.7 averages 14.7 with my driving style. I don't see the 6.4 being that far off......just my 2 cents.

Here diesel is 4.15 a gallon. I plan on keeping this truck a few years and in that time it's going to work hard. Towing and plowing a lot. I love the sound of a 6.7 but just can't decide if it would get better mpgs and be worth it for me. With gas plowing the mpgs will be horrible and that may be an issue

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
calculate the estimated fuel cost differences... see how long it would take to break-even for the added cost of the diesel vs. the gas. Just to give ya an idea?

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Here diesel is 4.15 a gallon. I plan on keeping this truck a few years and in that time it's going to work hard. Towing and plowing a lot. I love the sound of a 6.7 but just can't decide if it would get better mpgs and be worth it for me. With gas plowing the mpgs will be horrible and that may be an issue

All depends on how much and what type of plowing you do. I do residential only and my route is pretty tite. My amount of time spent plowing is minimal compared to other tasks, so mpg's while plowing while are a concern, are toward the bottom of the list.
If I was using the truck strictly for plowing, then mpg's while plowing would be more of an issue/concern.

OP
OP
D

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
All depends on how much and what type of plowing you do. I do residential only and my route is pretty tite. My amount of time spent plowing is minimal compared to other tasks, so mpg's while plowing while are a concern, are toward the bottom of the list.
If I was using the truck strictly for plowing, then mpg's while plowing would be more of an issue/concern.

im deff going to be towing alot and driving alot of trips all over the place to go dirtbiking with friends and stuff. i can afford a tradesman crew cab short box 4x4 cummins which is about 46k then upgrade the stereo system later..

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
im deff going to be towing alot and driving alot of trips all over the place to go dirtbiking with friends and stuff. i can afford a tradesman crew cab short box 4x4 cummins which is about 46k then upgrade the stereo system later..

Sounds like your not towing a ton of wt. Few bikes and gear, maybe 4k? Realistically, how many mi a yr will you be towing? All questions you need to look at to figure out whats going to work best for you.

I tow everyday durring the summer, but its only 3k. The diesel, while nice, wasnt worth the extra money.

OP
OP
D

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
Towing landscaping trailer in summer. Not sure how much it weighs Mabey 6k I'm thinking just go with 6.4 gas tradesman and upgrade the radio and speakers and add a sub with the 8k I saved going gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk