RAM over F450???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redz284u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not owner yet
Engine
Hemi 6.7
I'm looking at buying my first diesel truck. I've ha a 86 f150, have a 04 5.4 f150, a 94 f350. All gas. Never had problems with any of them. I'm looking to buy my first diesel. Here's the thing. While doing my research (edmunds, forums, and personal opinions) it seems like the ford diesel has way more problems than the RAMs. There are more comments like, radiators blowing up, engines with "internal failure" that ford is not willing to fix, trucks just dieing in kiddle of road, ect. Ect.

The RAM however SEEMS so have its owners and the review experts pretty happy. Better MPG, lower repair cost, least issues. What's the deal? I know people's reviews are subjective, but as RAM owners, if, "IF" you had a choice would you buy a F450 vehicle???

Looking for honest and mature responses.

Btw I'm looking at 2008 and newer f450 and ram 3500.

Last edited:

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
At our shop we were given a BRAND NEW F450. Within the first 3 days the radiator hose blew. So we used another F450 from another shop. The next morning I noticed a spot under the truck, I backed it up and there was about a nickle sized oil spot.

At that point I just took it to the maintenance guys.

Both under 1,000 miles.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
honestly I dont know if I would. Now a ford gasser, I would. Ive known people who have had each powerstroke, cummins, duramax and a lot of them would not recommend powerstrokes over the other two. I talked to a guy whos a ford diesel tech once and he told me all the horror stories about those 6.4's and that he would take a cummins over one any day. Not saying theyre terrible motors, ive just heard more bad things about them than others. granted im no diesel expert, just from talking to people

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all i know is the ford f450 rides rough! if you dont have a load in the back... omg. but its probably the same with a 3500 i dont know.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all i know is the ford f450 rides rough! if you dont have a load in the back... omg. but its probably the same with a 3500 i dont know.

My buddy has an 06 SWR 3500 Mega Cab/5.9 and I can sit here and honestly say it rides better than my RCSB 1500...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Just gotta know why f450 vs 3500? Why not f350 vs 3500?

I wondering the same thing
Typically 450/550 are for stake bed, utility bed etc
They have a higher payload but the same towing capacity (I think it might actually be less) then an f350
I do wish my f350 had the 19.5" Alcoa wheels the 450 come with but not bad enough to run an adapter

Same goes for dodge 3500 vs 4500/5500

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This thread reminded me one fun issue with Ford and their powerstorkes. A couple months ago we got told that we cannot idle any of our ford super duties for more than 10 minutes because it could case serious damage to the engine. Whenever a Ford super duty is turned into the shop for any engine related problems, the first thing ford does is download the computer to see if we've idled them for more than 10 minutes and if it was, they wont honor the warranty we have on those trucks. And of course, a couple weeks ago, the super duty starts acting up and now it's dead.

We have Ram, Chevy, and Ford super/heavy duties all over the place on base and Ford is the only one that's dropped this crap. I mean come on, who makes a diesel that can't idle for more then 10 minutes without it hurting itself? And then say you wont cover anything just because it was idled for 10 minutes?

Not that I'd ever look into getting a power stroke, but it definitely put a sour taste in everyone's mouth about them because it's so stupid. So when it comes to diesels, my vote is with Cummins.

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I would try and get a truck with out all the emissions crap on it, regardless of which brand you went with. 4.5-07 5.9 is the best cummins engine IMO.

I am a little biased towards cummins, but at one of the mx shops I go to the owner bought a brand new 2012 f350 they put miles on like crazy delivering bikes and atvs to people along with riding all over the country, it blew up around 100,000 miles. then they got a cummins and last I checked it had a little over 200k on the ticker.

Gardenfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If I had to have a newer diesel it would be a Ram or Chevy. I have to haul less Rams generally, but they still break down.

Fords more common around here than any other truck, followed by Rams, then Chevs.

Fords break down the most, then Chevs, then Rams.

Almost every single Ford truck is towed due to DEF issues which shut the truck down. Seeing some wheel bearings and front axle issues, but those are mostly because of the mine mud.

When they get the emissions stuff figured out, diesels will be reliable again.

OP
OP
R

Redz284u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not owner yet
Engine
Hemi 6.7
Thanks to all of your replies. It looks like I'm either going to go FORD V10 or defenetly RAM 3500. But no ford diesel. If any of u know some one selling a nice dually crewcab 4x4 longbed send em my way.

[email protected]

Last edited: