Rear Diff Fluid Change Interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2014 2500 6.4 Hemi 4X4

The only info I can find in the manual is that if I use my truck as a taxi or police car it should be changed every 20K. Otherwise, it just says "inspect" it. So, when am I supposed to change it under normal conditions?

I'm having some binding issues when towing heavy and during hot times. The dealer wants to change the fluid and charge me $125 but I thought the interval was longer than the 27K miles I'm at now. If it's due for changing I'm fine doing it.... I'm just checking to be sure the dealer isn't blowing smoke up my butt. And the manual sure could be more clear.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Most manufacturers from Ford to Mercedes Benz have an oil change interval for the oil in both diffs and tansfer case at 60k miles.

Last edited:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I haven't actually looked at my rear diff yet, but they are generally super easy to do yourself. I'd suggest you research how they are done on our trucks and consider doing it yourself. Perhaps someone can point you (and I) in the right direction on this, but usually you just open a drain bolt to empty the diff, then pour or pump fluid back into the fill hole and you are done. Its usually a 5-10 minute job.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I haven't actually looked at my rear diff yet, but they are generally super easy to do yourself. I'd suggest you research how they are done on our trucks and consider doing it yourself. Perhaps someone can point you (and I) in the right direction on this, but usually you just open a drain bolt to empty the diff, then pour or pump fluid back into the fill hole and you are done. Its usually a 5-10 minute job.

Yep... super easy to do. I've done it on other trucks. Usually, you just pull the bottom plug to drain and then fill it up on the top plug until the fluid starts coming out. sometimes using a pump and plastic tubing helps but be a bit messy.

My situation is that I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my rear end and the dealer is trying to blow me off and tell me I should change the fluid. I wish I could find it documented what mile interval is specified so I can tell them no.

JTrean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did mine at 40k along with all the other fluids. It was much darker than the new stuff. I used a hand pump to suck the old fluid out so no need to re-silicone the diff cover. The manual doesn't state an exact mileage on change intervals but I'm gonna go with a 30k interval.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The manual suggests checking at 48k I think was the mileage and changing if needed.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I did mine at 40k along with all the other fluids. It was much darker than the new stuff. I used a hand pump to suck the old fluid out so no need to re-silicone the diff cover. The manual doesn't state an exact mileage on change intervals but I'm gonna go with a 30k interval.

That's a pain in the neck... I wonder why Ram didn't provide a drain plug? I plan to change my front and rear out for synthetic either this fall or spring. I only have 11K miles on it, but figure that most of the metal shavings I ever make will be done by then... or at least I hope!!!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upgrade the covers so you only have to do it once.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
WTF??? There's no drain plug? I'm 10 minutes from bed but may have to go out and crawl under my truck to verify. I'd have to think removing the cover would just result in fluid running everywhere. What a mess. Somebody mentioned switching to synthetic.... isn't that what it put in at the factory?

On Edit - Yep, no drain plug - also, there is a bracket or something that looks to be attached to some brake lines that is covering a couple of the diff cover bolt heads. What PITA. Why must everything be so complicated? I thought technology was supposed to be making things easier. In 30 years of owning vehicles I've yet to have one w/o a drain plug on the differential. Maybe they should just start welding the hoods of new vehicles closed :)

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 and no drain plug? My 2012 has one, but that's a 1500. That wouldn't be fun.

JTrean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 and no drain plug? My 2012 has one, but that's a 1500. That wouldn't be fun.

You may want to double check that... Mine is a 2010 and there is no drain plug.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know for a fact it has one, I've changed both differentials already. I think it was 2011 where they added a drain plug when they switched to the ZF axle.

Edit: here's a picture2b4dbc3ea7c02fc011234665fd0664d8.jpg

Last edited:

JTrean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know for a fact it has one, I've changed both differentials already. I think it was 2011 where they added a drain plug when they switched to the ZF axle.

Edit: here's a picture2b4dbc3ea7c02fc011234665fd0664d8.jpg

Well aren't you just a lucky son of a b.... Jelly

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol the trade off is I pay out the ass for a gear swap :(

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The fact that there is no drain plug is a good thing, that means you have to remove the cover and can see if there are any metal shavings/ bearing material in the bottom of the diff. Take a 13mm deep well socket and ratchet and start removing bolts from the bottom up and let it drain, if you do it this way there is zero mess. The gasket is reusable so clean out the diff and put the cover back on and refill the diff until it comes out of the fill plug hole. It shouldn't take any longer than 30 minutes and that is if you take your time.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
That's a pain in the neck... I wonder why Ram didn't provide a drain plug? I plan to change my front and rear out for synthetic either this fall or spring. I only have 11K miles on it, but figure that most of the metal shavings I ever make will be done by then... or at least I hope!!!

I am a huge fan of synthetics but ya have to be careful of what the manufacture recommends. For instance if there are any clutches in there synthetic would probably not be recommended. It could make it too slick & the clutches would not work properly.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe having had a Jeep and Dino- conventional is actually better for differentials.

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Yep... super easy to do. I've done it on other trucks. Usually, you just pull the bottom plug to drain and then fill it up on the top plug until the fluid starts coming out. sometimes using a pump and plastic tubing helps but be a bit messy.

My situation is that I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my rear end and the dealer is trying to blow me off and tell me I should change the fluid. I wish I could find it documented what mile interval is specified so I can tell them no.

if there is something wrong with your rear the dealer should be one footing the bill for this, you are still under warranty and they should do the fluid for you. if it fixes your issue then you will know it was the fluid, if not dodge can replace what ever is wrong. if they are telling you to change the fluid they must agree that there is something wrong...

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I have literally worked on hundreds of vehicles, maybe a thousand, and I can't remember any of them having a drain plug on the bottom of the rear axle. So I don't think it's unusual at all.