Rear end problems behind Aisin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mgood777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am on the verge of buying a 2015 3500 with the Cummins/Aisin combo. Just for giggles I asked the dealer to price out a 2016 for me. What I learned was that starting in 2016, the Aisin can only be ordered with DRW. He said it was because there were rear end problems in SRW models behind the Aisin. He said the Aisin's were too strong for the SRW rear ends. Apparently that's also the reason why the 2016s are getting a torque increase. They had to beef up the rear ends and to make sure people don't have problems that's why you have to now buy DRW to get the Aisin.

Anybody know anything about that?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's a first.. " a tranny that eats rear ends" I would put a call into Chrysler and try and get some one at the ram division, try and get a little bit more information. 800+ foot pounds of tourqe is a lot for anything to handle, but the rear end/gear set should be able to handle what ever these trucks can throw at it.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I would think if its that close to the ragged edge, every truck that has larger than stock tires would be fighting rear diff issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am on the verge of buying a 2015 3500 with the Cummins/Aisin combo. Just for giggles I asked the dealer to price out a 2016 for me. What I learned was that starting in 2016, the Aisin can only be ordered with DRW. He said it was because there were rear end problems in SRW models behind the Aisin. He said the Aisin's were too strong for the SRW rear ends. Apparently that's also the reason why the 2016s are getting a torque increase. They had to beef up the rear ends and to make sure people don't have problems that's why you have to now buy DRW to get the Aisin.

Anybody know anything about that?
As far as I know there were no warranty issues on any of the 11.5's for either GM or chrysler. They have been pretty solid for years now. If it was truly an issue they could just stick the 11.8 in the srw trucks.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IF there is a potential issue, it could arise from the lower 1st gear of the asin combined with the increased output for 2016.

Back in 1969, the 440 'cuda only came with an automatic because Ma didn't think the 8 3/4" would handle the abuse from a 4 speed.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Considering there are guys doing boosted launches all the time with 1,000+ lb/ft deleted 6.7s and then towing with same set up, I don't see how it would be an issue. If they do stop putting them in the SRW, I think it would more likely be due to higher cost/lower sells than the 68.

OP
OP
M

mgood777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I posted this question to a forum on another site as well, and so far the responses have been pretty similar everyplace. Thanks for all the input.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
lord knows ram guys love 37"s

Not all. Some of us need to actually use our trucks.

As far as the topic goes, I don't think that salesman knows what he is talking about. Then again, most car salesman rarely do.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Considering there are guys doing boosted launches all the time with 1,000+ lb/ft deleted 6.7s and then towing with same set up, I don't see how it would be an issue. If they do stop putting them in the SRW, I think it would more likely be due to higher cost/lower sells than the 68.

exactly! what i was gon say