Reasons NOT to buy a 6spd Manual Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
bought my dad a '16 corvette zo6 in auto, the auto smokes the manual, you can put into paddle shift mode if you need the "feel" or "control" of shifting

auto has surpassed manuals, i dont care what anybody says, the technology is there and getting better

650hp/650ftlb

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a fact, but some just would rather be in control. Myself included. I don't care if someone with an auto can beat me on the track. I just prefer to be able to tell my truck (or car) what to do :D

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
its not a fact. Just because you can control the launch and tire spin and automate the whole driving experience to produce a faster 0-60 time for the average joe driving around on all seasons doesnt mean that its a fact. The only "fact" is that its much faster for the average owner, who typically isnt a "car" guy in the first place. Status cars. But hey if i was rich, id probably drive one around too.

Automatics...They are also boring. Theres no actual driving going on. You point and shoot, and hope the car does "what its supposed to do". And manually shifting an automatic is as close to a manual trans as a camshaft is to a banana.

mike456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
the SAT runs the 1/4 .15 seconds faster than manual

i didnt see anything about launch control when i built the car at the dealer unless youre referring to some type of controlled power braking at launch

guess my dad isnt the "typical car guy" and he certainly isnt your "average owner", got 65 stingray parked next to the '16 in the garage and does all his own work, probably wont touch the '16 since its more of a computer than a car, it cost me $99,307 including tax, thats not a "status car" where i'm from

look at professional racing, SAT have been used for 15+ years, they are the standard, its not about automating, or making boring, its about peak performance

youre right SAT is not close to manual shifting, it has far surpassed it

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
the SAT runs the 1/4 .15 seconds faster than manual

i didnt see anything about launch control when i built the car at the dealer unless youre referring to some type of controlled power braking at launch

guess my dad isnt the "typical car guy" and he certainly isnt your "average owner", got 65 stingray parked next to the '16 in the garage and does all his own work, probably wont touch the '16 since its more of a computer than a car, it cost me $99,307 including tax, thats not a "status car" where i'm from

look at professional racing, SAT have been used for 15+ years, they are the standard, its not about automating, or making boring, its about peak performance

youre right SAT is not close to manual shifting, it has far surpassed it

Telling people how much you paid for your Dad's corvette on a Ram forum makes it a "status car" IMO
Driving an automatic is boring, just like drag racing.

mike456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
99k vs 62k(+nys sales tax) for my ram, they arent far off, probably around 30k

i always considered for the most part german or italian imports status symbols regardless of the group or forum where discussed

youre right, drag racing is boring if you dont have a fast car, but then again life is boring without money

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
99k vs 62k(+nys sales tax) for my ram, they arent far off, probably around 30k

i always considered for the most part german or italian imports status symbols regardless of the group or forum where discussed

youre right, drag racing is boring if you dont have a fast car, but then again life is boring without money

My dad had a steel body leaf sprung '68 charger that ran 9.70's without nitrous and 8.90's with on pump gas. I used to race junior dragsters in the 7.90 index with my fastest 1/8th mile at 7.74 when I was 15 (your Dad's z06 runs 7.40's) but what would I know about speed.

Lets not turn this into a ******* match about whose Dad's car cost more than the other, this isn't junior high.

Back to manual diesels please.

Markmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 3500 with a 6 speed manual, BDS 8" long arm with 4 link conversion sitting on 37" Toyo's I love driving this truck every day in traffic or on the highway. I traded a beautiful lifted fully loaded ford just so I could have a manual transmission. That being said stock the clutch is fine I tuned it and still was fine lift and tires went on and it does slip if you push it on anything over the dodge automatic transmission tune. Now everything I own has a clutch and would t have it any other way

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 105

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have a 2014 3500 with a 6 speed manual, BDS 8" long arm with 4 link conversion sitting on 37" Toyo's I love driving this truck every day in traffic or on the highway. I traded a beautiful lifted fully loaded ford just so I could have a manual transmission. That being said stock the clutch is fine I tuned it and still was fine lift and tires went on and it does slip if you push it on anything over the dodge automatic transmission tune. Now everything I own has a clutch and would t have it any other way

http://www.xtremediesel.com/South-Bend-G56-OFEK-Dyna-Max-Upgrade-Clutch-Kit.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Damn Beautiful Truck!!!!

freedhardwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I had an 07 Cummins and 6 spd manual, Thought way cool. ****, hated it. Wanna play? Shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, going 40, shift, shift, damn gotta slow down, shift, shift, shift, floor it, shift, shift, shift, wheee, damn, shift shift, shift, slow stupid traffic, yay, shift, shift , shift, red light, shift, shift, clutch, coast, stop, green, shift, shift, shift, shift, slow down shift, shift, going again, shift, shift, shift, shift, omfg I shift hate this truck shift shoulda shift bought an shift automatic, shift, DAMMIT shift, I'm going shift home shift truck pi(shift)ssing me off shift.
Get it?

That is funny.

After 4 million miles shifting 9's, 10's, 13's, & 16's, I don't even notice when I'm shifting. I keep waving the air with my right hand in my new pickup trying to find the stick. :grd:

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
That is funny.

After 4 million miles shifting 9's, 10's, 13's, & 16's, I don't even notice when I'm shifting. I keep waving the air with my right hand in my new pickup trying to find the stick. :grd:

Ain't it a ***** though when you reach for the clutch pedal and end up hitting the left side of the brake? :boxed:

Goodname4id

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2 x 2007 5.9’s, one auto and one 6 speed. I smile a lot more driving the 6 speed. Additional info - the 6 speed truck turns a lot more rpms at highway speeds and gets 2 to 3 mpg less than the automatic due to lower overdrive ratio.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is funny.

Just wait till they go to the rotary dial like the 1/2 tons.... you will be waiving air by the dash...

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I've had it for over 3 years as a daily driver and still enjoy driving it and happy I got it. Only issue I have is starting from a red light while trying to hold my coffee ;)