Recommend me some Tires !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahiaring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So last Friday I put 295/70 18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 2014 Ram 2500 CC Long Bed 4x4...Drove them this weekend and HATE THEM!!! Loud, rattles, doesn't feel safe above 70 mph - just plain a bad experience. I called the tire shop and they said bring them back and they would switch me out for another tire. I am here looking for recommendations..

1. I plan on going back to a 275/70 18, 90% of my driving is freeway - I drive 23 miles each way to work. My off-road is probably 3-4 weeks a year during hunting season, but nothing too extreme - I have a 4 wheeler for that.

Here in the Boise valley, we probably get snow in town no more than 10-12 days a year, rest of the time its just rain.

When I tow, its probably a total of 10-14 days and typically its a 5000# TT.

With those criteria outlined, I have identified at least two options...
1. Michelin LTX AT2
2. BF Goodrich AT KO

Any feedback/other options?

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Tire preerance

I also am looking for a new set of tires for my 14/ 2500. At least I know now which one I "don't want". I have been leaning toward the Michelin as I think they have the 70k warranty. Also, think Big O, if you have one in your area, might have the best price and the most dealerships around the country. I will and have been pulling 13k 5'er with mine and need something that will wear well and I can warranty easily if I have a problem. Also, I think they are one of the only ones that will give a road hazard warranty on a trailer tire as well. Sure would appreciate any thoughts you or anyone else has.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I'm lovin my Nitto Trail Grapplers. 35 X 12.5. Pretty quiet for diggers.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live near you in meridian. I'm looking at the bfg at2s or cooper discover atp. The cooper atps are discount tire only but are relatively cheap and have a 50k mile warranty.

OP
OP
A

ahiaring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have to go through Big O as that were I have credit...As much as I would love to run oversized off road tires, the reality is I do a LOT of city driving...That's why I was looking at the Michelins LTX AT2...Can get tougher tires, but feel confident I could get 50-60k miles on them and would suit just find on most of the logging roads I drive were we hunt/camp.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had put a set of at3's on a gmc truck and loved them....no hum or wabble, smooth and comphy . I fully intend to do them again on my 2014 ram 2500 when the lousy firestones are done.....

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I'd probably go Toyo AT2 or BFG ATKO. I like Michelin tires, but that AT tread just doesn't impress me at all.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I have put General Grabber AT2s on the past 3 of my trucks and love them. I started with the BFG's and then found the Grabbers. The grabber has virtually the same pattern but seems to roll a lot quieter down the highway than the BFGs. They are also quite a bit cheaper... the have always worn great and I have gotten right at 40,000 miles out of them. Last truck with them was a 2006 cummins and they still lasted the 40,000. They provide great dry, wet, snow, mud and decent ice traction. I did actually stud my tires a few times as I live in a small town and dont travel far and that was incredibly helpful during some of our snow and ice storms...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the trail grapplers and for an aggresive mud tire they have great road manners. Not too loud. They have great off road traction! and on a 37x13.50 tire I've had my truck up too 90mph once and didnt feel unstable at all, just loud. If I were to get an all terrain I'd stick with Nitto or Toyo's as they are basically the same.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I agree.. I've got a set of TerraGrapplers on my truck and they are an awesome tire.. Nice and quiet on road, good traction in snow (not Mtn / Snowflake Rated), have never had them in mud. I've had them up to 170kmph with no vibration. I've had them on for ~50Kkm and the tread is still north of 50%. I expect I'll get 80Kkm+ out of them.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Knew I wasn't the only person who hated the Trail Suckers, I mean Grappler. :p

Also folks, the Trail Grappler and Terra Grappler are two different tires. I had unpleasant experience with the Terra's. And I'd beg to differ about their road manners. Try driving from FL to Utah on them and get back to me about what you think. I didn't start to hate them till I drove a really long distance in bad weather with them.

I will say though, they are F***ing amazing off road, in mud and over rocks. Seriously, they rocked. I just realize that AT's are better suited for Expo rigs, not M/T's.

This opinion however is totally informed based on my other vehicle, not the Ram.

I'm a big fan of the General Grabbers A/T2.

Last edited:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm very pleased with my Terra Grappler g2. Much better ride than the firestones and no noise. They have a nice a/t tread pattern. I trailer around 3k a month, so I will know pretty quick how the milege hold up.....

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have ran a set of the Terra Grapplers on my Silverado and got over 50,000 miles on them. And I had driven from West Virginia to Alabama and West Virginia to Texas several times. Had them in mud up over the tires, clay so slick it was like 2 snails in a bowl of snot. And they held their own for an AT tire. They are not a big murder tire. I've ran buckshot murders, ground Hawg murders, and super swampers. And put them thru the ringers. On my old 85 power wagon I had 44" ground hawgs and drove that truck from West Virginia to ft Riley Kansas a couple of times. Now that was a rough ride. But these are trucks. Not Cadillacs. Lol. Here is what I worked out last night with tire direct, I posted it in another thread. It's one heck of a deal.

"OK. Here is a deal for y'all. I went to tiredirect.com yesterday evening and was talking to a sales rep there. Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in 35/12.50 /18s for $291 each. And ya get free shipping. Plus, if your in the military or a veteran. They will give you an additional 10%-20% off. I'm getting my tires for roughly $230 a piece. If anyone else has a better price on the new G2's, please let me know. But that's gonna be hard to beat."

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So last Friday I put 295/70 18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 2014 Ram 2500 CC Long Bed 4x4...Drove them this weekend and HATE THEM!!! Loud, rattles, doesn't feel safe above 70 mph - just plain a bad experience. I called the tire shop and they said bring them back and they would switch me out for another tire. I am here looking for recommendations..

1. I plan on going back to a 275/70 18, 90% of my driving is freeway - I drive 23 miles each way to work. My off-road is probably 3-4 weeks a year during hunting season, but nothing too extreme - I have a 4 wheeler for that.

Here in the Boise valley, we probably get snow in town no more than 10-12 days a year, rest of the time its just rain.

When I tow, its probably a total of 10-14 days and typically its a 5000# TT.

With those criteria outlined, I have identified at least two options...
1. Michelin LTX AT2
2. BF Goodrich AT KO

Any feedback/other options?

Are you sure there wasn't something wrong with the tires, when ya got them. I have Nitto Trail Grapplers and love em so far. Awesome in the snow, and for a MT tire very quiet and smooth. Been up to 80mph and no vibes at all for me. lol - will be curious to how many miles I can get out of them though.

OP
OP
A

ahiaring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I talked with Big O yesterday and they told me to bring back the tires and they would swap them out. Going to swap out for a lt295 70 18 Terra Grappler G2. I am anxious to see how these new G2's hold up for milage.

A friend bought a pair of Toyo AT 2'S (which tread wise and make up wise) are very close to the Terra G2'S and he got 65k miles out of them...If these are smooth and quiet and can get me a legitimate 50k miles - Ill be happy.

Sarsabious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I live near you in meridian. I'm looking at the bfg at2s or cooper discover atp. The cooper atps are discount tire only but are relatively cheap and have a 50k mile warranty.
I'm running those Coopers and like them substantially more than the BFG.