Rough Country or Bushwacker pocket fender flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlphaCT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Anyone have experiences with either of these flares on your 2500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have the Bushwackers. They are well made, look good and were easy to install. I take issue with how the weather stripping installs to the flares and how it looks once it's on the truck, but I am also very picky. I think they also look kind of cheap if they're not painted, but I can't swallow another 3-400 bucks to have that done.

Were they worth the 500 bucks or whatever my wife paid for them? Probably not...but I think the truck looks dumb without them.

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed the Bushwacker pocket flares on a buddies Wrangler. Very well made compared to others I have seen. He had his sprayed with Line X.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I also have the Bushwhackers and echo the comments made. I am very happy with them.

OP
OP
AlphaCT

AlphaCT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have the Bushwackers. They are well made, look good and were easy to install. I take issue with how the weather stripping installs to the flares and how it looks once it's on the truck, but I am also very picky. I think they also look kind of cheap if they're not painted, but I can't swallow another 3-400 bucks to have that done.

Were they worth the 500 bucks or whatever my wife paid for them? Probably not...but I think the truck looks dumb without them.

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the bushwackers but I have read that the weather strip may rub thru the clear coat over time. What issue do you have with the weather stripping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AlphaCT

AlphaCT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I also have the Bushwhackers and echo the comments made. I am very happy with them.

Thanks MADDOG!, any issues with the weatherstripping rubbing and making marks on the clear coat?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I learned, after seeing what it did to my '99, to use a strip of 3M clear bra material right at the edge of the flare/weather stripping to prevent clear coat damage.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paint things for a living, and in my day I have seen lots of different kind of aftermarket parts come through the doors, the reason I myself bought ,painted and installed Bushwackers on my truck is due to the great fit, terrific design, ease of installation, and the material in which they are made from. IMO if you buy any other flares your throwing your money away...

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have never had these but I did buy a cheaper brand off of Ebay. They were very well made and from a friend that had Bushwacker, said he could have sworn they were cause the stamps where the same in the inside and the markings.

I was able to hold them out and they didn't fold.. like some of the cheap ones do.

Maybe another alternative for you?

OP
OP
AlphaCT

AlphaCT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I paint things for a living, and in my day I have seen lots of different kind of aftermarket parts come through the doors, the reason I myself bought ,painted and installed Bushwackers on my truck is due to the great fit, terrific design, ease of installation, and the material in which they are made from. IMO if you buy any other flares your throwing your money away...

Thanks for the feedback, did you put any protection (3M or something else) under the bushwhackers to prevent rubbing thru the clear coat?

OP
OP
AlphaCT

AlphaCT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have never had these but I did buy a cheaper brand off of Ebay. They were very well made and from a friend that had Bushwacker, said he could have sworn they were cause the stamps where the same in the inside and the markings.

I was able to hold them out and they didn't fold.. like some of the cheap ones do.

Maybe another alternative for you?

Thanks brother, I ended up ordering the bushwhackers in matte black, thinking about seeing how they look without painting and color matching. Trying to see if I need to add 3M or something similar under the flares to help protect the clear coat and paint. They should be arriving tomorrow and I will hopefully get them on in the next few days.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I went right to color matching mine and I kind of wish I would have tried them black. With my color, would have fit. But I had them on for a day ... and I didn't like them! :(

haha - Went through all the work of painting (myself) and after all said and done.. I just didn't like them on the truck! :(

OP
OP
AlphaCT

AlphaCT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I went right to color matching mine and I kind of wish I would have tried them black. With my color, would have fit. But I had them on for a day ... and I didn't like them! :(

haha - Went through all the work of painting (myself) and after all said and done.. I just didn't like them on the truck! :(

So hard to tell until you see them on....

Attachments

• SideView AT2.jpg
    SideView AT2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 346

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback, did you put any protection (3M or something else) under the bushwhackers to prevent rubbing thru the clear coat?
No I didn't. I installed them mid June. Come October I'm due to fully detail truck for winter. (claybar seal,wax ect)
When I do that my intention is to pull them off to clean all the crud from building up behind them. When that happens I will see how they are wearing against my truck. From experience though I can tell you, I believe little of what I hear and 1/2 of what I see.
I feel if you follow them directions for install plus use a few things I have in shop to insure the sticking of the seal around flares (3M adhesion Promoter Sponges) and the fact that I take good care of my truck and wash and spray detail and use spray wax all the time on it so I am paying attention to the flares I should catch if they were to come unsealed and start rubbing..
In other words I'll believe mine are rubbing through when I see it, and I haven't seen that yet...

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just today ordered the Rough Country. I had them on my older 1500 and liked them a lot. They fit perfectly and looked good..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye