Service 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowhunt32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
First post, and thank you all in advance for any information you all may have. I have a 2015 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi. Starting last weekend I began getting the "Service 4wd" message on the information screen. Typically it lasts only a minute or two directly upon start up, then goes out. Today it came on and stayed on most of the day. I took the truck in yesterday to the dealer. They seemed stumped, checked all connections and said all was good. No codes when scanning the computer. Today it came on and off three times. I call them back, again met with a stumped sounding service manager. He said he'd discuss with his tech and get back to me. He called me back and said they were going to replace the powertrain control module. I'd like to be confident in what they are doing, but have to say, I sensed a lot of doubt in his voice with this suggestion. So, my question for you all is, does this sound right and have any of you encountered a similar problem?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wich problem? the one the truck is having with the codes? or the one the dealership can't figure out so they are just gonna start throwing new parts at it? .. On the bright side at least they are gonna throw new parts at it, that's better than them doing nothing. best of luck hopefully it gets corrected with the new parts

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
@bowhunt32

Tell them to reflash the Drive Train Control Module (DTCM). There was a TSB on the very same issue on some of our fleet trucks a few years ago. That fixed the issue on most, but some had to have all front drivetrain sensor connectors regreased to get the issue fixed.

OP
OP
B

bowhunt32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the suggestions, but thus far none of any of this has fixed the truck. After the initial visit and several hours of checking connections and programming updates, the "SERV 4wd" light returned. Called them back, they ordered a drive train control module and replaced. Again on way home, light returned and continued to come on and off. Over the next few days, light came on when I actually needed the use of the 4wd system which irritated me. I contacted RAM and they forwarded to a case manager. Case manager proceeds to tell me about how he works on atv's and dirt bikes and how 4 wheeling and "rock crawling" is hard on 4wd systems. I'm further irritated at this point as at this time truck has 1900 mile or so on it. I remind him that this is not a wear and tear issue and the truck has not yet made it to it's first oil change. I also remind that on the first day I bought the truck, the touch screen radio was blanking out. It took two trips to get this fixed as well, so in all this was now going to be my 5th trip into the dealership, again on a vehicle that has not even seen its first oil change. Fast forward, a couple weeks go by, dealership is supposedly in contact with engineers. This time they crack into the transfer case. They report finding a "coil" with a high draw and a melted connection. Those parts along with transfer case wiring harness ordered. Dealer has the truck for 10 days at this point. Repairs are made again (this being now the third attempt at same issue). Again driving home, light returns and has now come on and off 4 times in 30 miles or so. At this point I have 2500 miles on the truck, and will now need a 6th trip to the dealer. I have asked RAM for a replacement vehicle and intend on obtaining legal counsel should they refuse. So, I guess that's the update if any of you run into a similar issue.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you are on the right track. that totally sucks, you are prolly thinking of brand jumping now, as I would be. Best of luck man.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Look into your state lemon laws and shove the truck back up their behinds. Clearly something is seriously wrong.

OP
OP
B

bowhunt32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, to put a bookend on this, my dealership did get this issue fixed. Turned out to be a wire that tied into the 4wd shift motor was rubbing and had an intermittent short. I've put about 3000 miles on it since they found the wire issue and have had no other problems. Now truck works perfectly! Thank you for your input on the issue!

JAILER 23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
2015 RAM 2500 (OUTDOORSMAN - CREW CAB) 6.4 GASSER - 4.10 DIFF. - ORDERED 3/31/15 - PICKED UP FROM DEALERSHIP THURSDAY 5/28/15 WITH 7.5 MILES -----SUNDAY 5/31/15 GOING 25 M.P.H. TURNED DIAL 2WD TO 4WD (GOING STRAIGHT - NO SHARP TURNS) ON WET ROAD (RAINING) - "SERV 4WD" CAME ON - NO 4WD ENGAGED - 123 MILES ON ODO. --- TRIED FIGURE 8's IN EMPTY PARKING LOT - SWITCHING 2WD 4WD 4WD LOW - ENGINE ON ENGINE OFF WITH IGNITION ON STILL " SERV 4WD" ------ALSO E.V.I.C. SHOWING "SERV 4WD" ----

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Caps lock is not ur friend. What's that placed called where they fix New vehicles that have problems... starts with a D.. they also sell new vehicles.. take it to the dealer.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 RAM 2500 (OUTDOORSMAN - CREW CAB) 6.4 GASSER - 4.10 DIFF. - ORDERED 3/31/15 - PICKED UP FROM DEALERSHIP THURSDAY 5/28/15 WITH 7.5 MILES -----SUNDAY 5/31/15 GOING 25 M.P.H. TURNED DIAL 2WD TO 4WD (GOING STRAIGHT - NO SHARP TURNS) ON WET ROAD (RAINING) - "SERV 4WD" CAME ON - NO 4WD ENGAGED - 123 MILES ON ODO. --- TRIED FIGURE 8's IN EMPTY PARKING LOT - SWITCHING 2WD 4WD 4WD LOW - ENGINE ON ENGINE OFF WITH IGNITION ON STILL " SERV 4WD" ------ALSO E.V.I.C. SHOWING "SERV 4WD" ----

First step is to see what the trouble codes are. You need to just take it back to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAILER 23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Tues: June 2nd, Replacement actuator motor & spline fork assembly installed at dealer (170 miles on odo.) 4WD capable .... :)

Tmcb2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
Well my 2500 with 1400 miles just did the same. 4x4 service light. I took it to dealer and they cannot get to it till next week. Could be two weeks. What frustrates me is I purchased a 2019 1500 and within 500 miles it began having issues. 8 trips to dealer for several issues. I traded for a 2500 and loved it till now. I maybe thinking Ram is not the way to go

Tmcb2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
Well my 2500 with 1400 miles just did the same. 4x4 service light. I took it to dealer and they cannot get to it till next week. Could be two weeks. What frustrates me is I purchased a 2019 1500 and within 500 miles it began having issues. 8 trips to dealer for several issues. I traded for a 2500 and loved it till now. I maybe thinking Ram is not the way to go
Update. Replaced 4x4 transfer case. Picked up truck. On the way home, 4x4 service light reapers. Took back to dealer. Replacing. drive train control module DTCM