Shift points after update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just had the 15k oil change and dealer flashed some updates. Before we would roll uphill in 3rd holding around 50-55. Holy wombat turds. Headed through WV today and the damn thing is flying into 2nd and taching as high as 4500rpm. AND.....doing the same thing on descents with no amount of throttle or button mashing getting it back to 3rd. Highest tach was 4700. Any one else seen a motor change after updates recently?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Sounds like your transmission is relearning after the flash. Unless the TC ins't locked, your engine rpm is dictated by your gear(gearing) and speed. So it isn't that the engine acting weird, it is your transmission acting weird causing your engine to rev high due to erratic gear changes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PippinAin'tEasy

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Man, I guessed as much as well but even when it was new it didn't scream like this. Sort of leaves me wondering what the code monkeys at FingCA poked into mah Truck.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It kind of sucks that on a new truck when the transmission is learning that you're in the break-in period and it generally sets up a pattern of sluggish driving. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about how they learn, but from reading it seems once the tranny thinks it has how you drive figured out it's set (kind of like a woman :)) Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know after my tranny blow up and rebuild I pretty much hammered it after about 100 miles. The shift points seem to be a bit better than before but it still does some stupid lugging BS at times. There's one place on my daily drive that I just laugh at every time. 30MPH road goes from flat to pretty steep. It will hold 3rd until the truck coughs and just about dies. I watch the tach and it dips well below 1000. Then is sputters into second where it barely has any power. Most days I remember and put it in 2nd and all is good. Makes me wonder if the engineer that approved this tranny ever actually drove the truck??

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The truck has major balls, but fca has put them in their purse. I had my tranny reflashed and the first hour of driving was chirping tires with barely touching the gas and fast and powerful. Of course that went away and I'm back to driving a three legged dog.

OP
OP
PippinAin'tEasy

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
UPDATE:
Okay, it's not that big a deal but the all caps make it look impressive. I really paid attention to the new tendencies and today was actually kind of fun. Found a pattern to the tow/haul-lock out 4-ride the pedal combinations and managed almost 10mpg heading east by south out of WestbygawdVirginny. Gonna try it again tomorrow from Pilot Mtn. to the Triangle and see if I get the same (or better,heh) results.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
The weirdest thing my truck has done is hold first gear I am guessing when I went to pass someone on a 2 lane highway. It damn near got me killed. I went to pass this car, the truck dropped a gear and as soon as I got side by side with the car I was passing the damn thing stopped picking up speed at about 50mph and was stuck in gear at redline. It never shifted up. I had to let off and get back behind the car I was trying to pass. I tried again and it acted normal.