Single-in/Dual-out mufler options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
Hey guys, looking for opinions and possible sound clips. I wanna do a muffler back swap out on my 2500 5.7HEMI. Has anyone on here done a Single-In/Dual-Out muffler swap and ran rear exit duals ? Every "kit" I have found is side exit behind the wheels, and that can be a pain in the ass when plowing and back into a snow bank. I am gonna have them run straight out the back on each side on the hitch. My biggest concern is cab drone, def dont want any of that. I dont mind it a little when I romp on it, but not during highway cruising speeds. Any recommendations??

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My personal opinion is this as I have my aftermarket muffler sitting on my toolbox awaiting install....If you have dual exhaust coming out of motor and then it goes into a y pipe making it a single exhaust, and you were to then send that through a muffler and come out of the muffler with dual exhaust again, your wasting your time and money cause you do not have dual exhaust...So why pay for it??? I'm just switching out my muffler for now just to give the truck a little sound, for $150,verses the kits you buy for like at least $700...I would bet you could take it to an exhaust place and have them run true duals for not much more than them kits!!!!

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
It's usually always cheaper to have an exhaust built than buy a kit.
My local shop did my 40Series for 135$ dumped under the bed. To run a dual pipe set up out the back it was $350 however I wanted it to exit.
Build, don't buy!

most shops except highend places don't have mandrel benders. If you find one with a mandrel machine they're gonna **** you cuz they can...
Just remeber, after the muffler mandrel doesn't gain anything except bragging rights on a daily driver.
As far as drone, the 14" Magnaflow is a great choice, nice deep smooth sound. I put one on my sisters ram 1500 amd it's niiiice.

OP
OP
SlightlyTweaked

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
OK, saying I do just a muffler swap, what do you recommend for the resonator, keep it or lose it?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I just installed a 1 in 2 out direct replacement flowmaster on my 1500 with dual tailpipes. It sounds good but not much louder but its rear exit with resonators still in place. On my 03 2500 hemi I had a 1in 2 out flowmaster no resonators out the sides and it was the perfect sound and volume. Fyi, it started as a kit and with the lift I had the tailpipes didn't fit right and looked like crap so I went custom bent. Get the muffler and find a good local shop to make the tail pipes. Mandrel bent is irrelevant unless you drag race your truck for a living. Run them out where you like. Also my "direct replacement" on my 1500 didn't fit perfect either and if my tail pipes weren't already duals and new I would have gladly went custom bent.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd keep the resonator unless you get a programmer and turn off MDS.

I've done two Dodge single in/dual out muffler conversions and they worked out pretty well.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've got a single in magnaflow 22" with dual 4" tips out back, sounds great to me didn't like it at 1st thought it was to quiet but its done grown on me, don't get much drone but do keep mds off I have the 6.4 dunno how much of a difference in sound it is compared to a 5.7, I have a vid on youtube playing in some wet grass ill try and post up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6OBSFMbLdo

OP
OP
SlightlyTweaked

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
I've got a single in magnaflow 22" with dual 4" tips out back, sounds great to me didn't like it at 1st thought it was to quiet but its done grown on me, don't get much drone but do keep mds off I have the 6.4 dunno how much of a difference in sound it is compared to a 5.7, I have a vid on youtube playing in some wet grass ill try and post up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6OBSFMbLdo
That's sounds awesome, nice deep growl when you romped on it. So at highway speeds you have no can drone? Also how did you exit your pipes?

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
no drone, at 1st I got it dumped and it was bad with drone and sounded almost stock couldn't deal wit it so a week later got them out the back, muffler man said it was a pain

Attachments

• DSC00134.jpg
    DSC00134.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC00135.jpg
    DSC00135.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC00132.jpg
    DSC00132.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC00129.jpg
    DSC00129.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 109

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a different set up with the 4th gen trucks but from what I can see it's doable.

Here's the single in/dual out set up I had on the 2007 MegaCab:

e07.jpg

e08.jpg

e09.jpg

e10.jpg

e12.jpg

e15.jpg

I see some problem areas on the 4th gens that need to be addressed:

1. The post cat to muffler pipes are squished all to hell and there isn't a lot of clearance under there. It will take a custom bend and some creative work by a shop to fit something in there so that the pipes don't get crushed. It may be possible to put in a "Y" a bit further upstream towards the cats and eliminate one small run of pipe to give it a bit more room. As long as you aren't into the cat or O2 sensor area it should work.

2. The route for the two tailpipes out to the back seems a bit more complicated than the 3rd gens.

3. The stock tailpipe/resonator really droops down. If the resonator can be chopped off and re-positioned that would be a plus. Of course, you'll end up adding a second resonator if you go with two tailpipes.

Unless I plan on adding a programmer to turn MDS off, or plan on driving in manual mode so as not to engage MDS, I'm thinking I want a resonator back there to eliminate drone.

There may be some smaller, bullet or small can shaped, resonators that can be used back there. I plan on talking to my exhaust guy at length about this in the coming week.

FlatLandRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was in the same boat as you with my 2014 ram 2500 5.7. I went with the flowmaster American thunder 3 inch inlet / 2.5 inch dual out stainless system. You have the ability to run it out behind the tires or straight out the back. The system comes with the 50 series HD muffler so its pretty mild but when you lean on it she barks. Ultimately a good investment if your looking to remove exhaust restriction and get the motor flowing better. I will be investing in the vararam air grabber kit so hopefully it will make a little more power and give me better mpg. Highway mph for me is 17-18 unloaded and set at 115km/h with no wind. Cant complain about that!!

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ holy crap, another Saskatchewaner! I ran the American Thunder System for 2 years on my 2013 4.7 before trading in on my Sport, was very happy.

FlatLandRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yup. I am a northern boy though. One of those bush babies. If you ever see a white HD ram with camo & cat tails down the side of the rig honk and wave!

OP
OP
SlightlyTweaked

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
Yup. I am a northern boy though. One of those bush babies. If you ever see a white HD ram with camo & cat tails down the side of the rig honk and wave!

FlatLand - any chance you would be able to upload either a video or sound clip of the exhaust? Also how is the resonance in the cab under basic highway speeds 60-75mph? Any drone? Thanks bro

FlatLandRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Once I find my go pro ill forsure take some video footage of it. I love the sound so far. No cabin drone and really rumbles when you want it too.

bcolwell81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I ran the magnaflow 3.5" single in- single out and removed the resonator and it sounds good. Not too loud but let's you know your driving a V8.