Skid Plate Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was looking into getting a front dif and a transfer case skid plate for my 2016 2500 4x4 CTD. After researching here, and some other places, I've come up with five part numbers for the two skid plates...

82210014 - (sometimes listed with an AC on the end of it)
82210021 - (sometimes listed with an AC on the end of it)
68089777 - (sometimes listed with an AB on the end of it)
6509233 - (sometimes listed with an AA on the end of it)

The confusion is, on the various forums and the various parts websites many of these are listed by one source as for the '16 2500 then the next website or forum post might list the same part number for (as an example) the '09 - '12 or for the 1500 not the 2500.

I actually went to the local stealership and the parts guy there couldn't figure it out and told me he'd research it and call me (which he hasn't so far).

It seems odd that even the parts guy can't figure this out.

My question to y'all here is has anybody put the factory skid plates on their truck (preferably a '16 2500) and what were the part numbers. As a secondary question has anybody put any type of aftermarket skid plates on their truck and where did you get those? Thanks in advance!

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 4x4 2500 has a solid front axle and as such there is no skid plate for the front diff. What you could do is replace the cover with something more sturdy, and possible add a "diff slider" to protect the yoke but unless you plan for serious rock crawling that's overkill.
The transfer case skid plate should be 82210021AC. The letters AA, AB, AC just indicate revisions so AC is the third revision of the part. Notice I wrote "should", I agree it seems impossible to determine *exactly* without having access to a parts catalog. Just too many "click me although I don't know jack ****" parts sites on the Internet ...

OP
OP
Cummins Dog

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks csuder99. This is why I'm asking. Now that you reminded me of the solid front axle I realize that the one's I've looked at that were supposedly for the front axle had to be for the 1500 only, even though some of them stated that they'd fit the 2500. You've got half of them saying it will fit and half os them saying it won't so this is why I was getting so confused on this. With this bit of info though I guess I'll drop the idea of the front axle skid plate and look into that transfer case skid plate part number you gave me. It was about the only one of the numbers I listed that I though might be right.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks csuder99. This is why I'm asking. Now that you reminded me of the solid front axle I realize that the one's I've looked at that were supposedly for the front axle had to be for the 1500 only, even though some of them stated that they'd fit the 2500. You've got half of them saying it will fit and half os them saying it won't so this is why I was getting so confused on this. With this bit of info though I guess I'll drop the idea of the front axle skid plate and look into that transfer case skid plate part number you gave me. It was about the only one of the numbers I listed that I though might be right.

I would double check my build sheet to see if it has or should have had the skid plate option. My 2014 had the option and it was about $75.00

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo