Slight engine knock when cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hey yall,

My truck has about 900 miles on it now. When i stand outside of the passenger side wheel well when the engine is cold after just starting it, i swear i hear a slight engine knock that goes away when the engine warms up, or at least is barely noticeable.

Is that normal? I can try to record it later today.

Thanks
G

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Mine had a similar knock when cold but it went away when it warmed up. For me it was normal.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
id say its normal. my trucks done it since day one. havent heard it as much now that the weather is warming up though.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That is normal for most engines depending on the oil. Even 0 grade oil is too thick to properly lubricate the whole engine on a cold start especially the valve train and camshaft due to their placement in the engine. It is not until engine oil gets closer to operating temp(usually after 10-15 minutes of running) that its viscosity gets thin enough to properly lubricate the whole engine.

So during the first 10-15 minutes you will hear more knocking until the oils viscosity gets thin enough to lubricate the upper parts of the engine. This is why they say that the most wear on an engine comes from the first 10-15 minutes from a cold start. This is also why you should take it easy on the engine during this time period.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check YouTube for some vids on knocking. Some (here) have had their engine replaced. Mine did it before my first oil change, around 3-4K miles. It was regular and not good sounding. I had videos of cold starts ready to show my dealer, but after the first oil change it didn't do it any more.

I'd say if you don't think it's normal, document it with vids and show your dealer.

Edited to add- The noise I had came from the passenger side also.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Document it, even if it's nothing now it could get worse or could be normal. I just had my engine replaced at 20k miles bit mine was a horrible knock

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sadly, it seems everything is normal with these trucks.. I haven't had a motor with a knock or tick at startup since 1993, and that was a 4.0 cherokee with a ton of miles on it. Somehow its normal on these trucks. Haven't had a vehicle smoke on startup since the early 80's, that was an 81 chevy that was never right..somehow thats normal on these trucks too..so In short, you should have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ok, sounds good, thanks guys. It's not incredably loud or anything and from insude the truck i don't hear it. Only noticed it when i started it the other day and happened to be outside next to it.

Again it's not loud, but it caught my attention.

Thanks guys

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ps, i will also make a video as well to document things

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if its a ticking that goes away after 2-3sec its probly the lifters. my '16 did it quit a bit if it sat for few days. i think the antidrain back valve in the filter is supposed to keep oil in the top end but if its not keeping the oil there it takes few sec for lifters to pump up

Last edited:
OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It's defiantly a knock and not a tick. It takes several minutes of running for it to go away on a cold start. It reminds me of rod knock. Sounds like a diesel for those first few minutes, at least that's what it reminds me of.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A

I will say this is unfortunate to hear and hope your engine is okay. For not having hardly any miles on it. For this engine to be in its 3rd generation going on its 4th soon you would think they would have this thing dialed in. I remember when Ford came out with the V10 in 99 they had some early engine failures but after that they got it dialed in and only had the spark plug issues after that. I am doing a nice long tow in a couple weeks with mine will see how it does. Towing my almost 10k travel trailer from NW ohio to Tennessee. Will see how this goes. I know my engine sometimes doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies. With the puffs of smoke and what not. Which according to some is "normal" for a hemi or a motor running synthetic oil. I just dont know. Heck my john deere x475 runs synthetic oil and is a ohv kawasaki gas engine. It does not smoke or knock or tick. My 77 ford didnt smoke or knock. Would tick when really cold but only for a second. I would expect a slight valve train chatter but man sometimes its loud.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a vid of what mine sounded like, not my truck or vid though. It hasn't done it since my first oil change, but I'm keeping an eye out for it.

I'm at 26k miles and have towed a TT through the mountains here in AZ pushing 5k RPM on inclines. No further issues with mine so far.

https://youtu.be/-9KBOAiCzD0

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will say this is unfortunate to hear and hope your engine is okay. For not having hardly any miles on it. For this engine to be in its 3rd generation going on its 4th soon you would think they would have this thing dialed in. I remember when Ford came out with the V10 in 99 they had some early engine failures but after that they got it dialed in and only had the spark plug issues after that. I am doing a nice long tow in a couple weeks with mine will see how it does. Towing my almost 10k travel trailer from NW ohio to Tennessee. Will see how this goes. I know my engine sometimes doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies. With the puffs of smoke and what not. Which according to some is "normal" for a hemi or a motor running synthetic oil. I just dont know. Heck my john deere x475 runs synthetic oil and is a ohv kawasaki gas engine. It does not smoke or knock or tick. My 77 ford didnt smoke or knock. Would tick when really cold but only for a second. I would expect a slight valve train chatter but man sometimes its loud.

No, none of that is normal.. It's sad, that's what it is. Like I said the only time I have experienced anything like what I have experienced with this new 6.4 is on old antiquated technology from decades ago, or engines that are just plain worn out and about to give up the ghost.. there absolutely should not be any tick, any knock, or any smoke on startup.. period.. this is not 1950.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
No, none of that is normal.. It's sad, that's what it is. Like I said the only time I have experienced anything like what I have experienced with this new 6.4 is on old antiquated technology from decades ago, or engines that are just plain worn out and about to give up the ghost.. there absolutely should not be any tick, any knock, or any smoke on startup.. period.. this is not 1950.

Agreed...:puke:

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here's a vid of what mine sounded like, not my truck or vid though. It hasn't done it since my first oil change, but I'm keeping an eye out for it.

I'm at 26k miles and have towed a TT through the mountains here in AZ pushing 5k RPM on inclines. No further issues with mine so far.

https://youtu.be/-9KBOAiCzD0

That's my truck, have a new engine now. The number 2 and 4 pistons were slapping

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's defiantly a knock and not a tick. It takes several minutes of running for it to go away on a cold start. It reminds me of rod knock. Sounds like a diesel for those first few minutes, at least that's what it reminds me of.

Take the truck to the dealer. It took me 4 tries and calling Ram customer care to get a case opened up before the dealer would even acknowledge there was something wrong. Mine started at 5k miles and finally was replaced at 20k miles

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'm about due for the first oil change and i have a free one due at the dealer, so I'll be making some videos to show them. It could be piston slap i think the 5.4 fords did that also