Squishy Brakes??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Guys, I've noticed the brakes are a little squishier than i like on my 14 ram 2500 CC. My ford F250 work truck's brakes are very responsive and I would like the same feel from my 2500. Have any of you upgraded rotors, pads, and lines on these trucks to get the better response?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I haven't tried anything, but I know what you're saying. I've had several occasions where freeway traffic has come to a stop, and I have had to consider running onto the shoulder. Luckily I have not had to do that yet.

I'm eager to see what others have to say about this.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
same here buddy

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Look up "brake burnishing procedure" and run it on your truck. My brakes were 'squishy' when I first got the truck (2015 model), and they're better now after having done this. In panic stop situations, I could wish for more, still....

es

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of guys run those SS lines and it seems to help the horrible braking these trucks have. I upgraded to better pads and it seemed to help a bit.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've been reasonably happy with the brakes on my 2014 2500. They seem similar to the ones on my 2006 Duramax. The first vehicles I owned 25+ years ago had no power assist and made me want to do the Fred Flinstone heels through the floorboard trick to help stop. Panic stops are usually the result of driving too fast and/or following too closely. Don't get me wrong, I've had them with this truck but I try to remember this is a 7000# truck not a sports car.

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Remember that brake fluid is NOT a lifetime fill. I make it a point to flush the fluid in all of my vehicles about every two years if I'm able and it ALWAYS firms up the pedal.

Personally, I would also stay with OEM parts. However, I would possibly go with an aftermarket stock-like rotor (not drilled/slotted) if I wasn't getting good life out of my rotors.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge OEM parts are made by the lowest bidder they can find. the last thing on earth I would ever put on my truck is OEM brakes...lol..

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Dodge OEM parts are made by the lowest bidder they can find. the last thing on earth I would ever put on my truck is OEM brakes...lol..
Just stop it. Unless you have proof of that, or proof that ALL other MFRs don't also do the same thing, go somewhere else with that mess. Until then, it's just your opinion. Of course, feel free to stay and post all the useful information you can.

I do know that I had 10 years and 120k (with lots of towing 10k) on the original OEM brake pads in my 2004 Cummins and they still had life left when I changed them with new OEM pads (not Value Line). Oh, and I didn't even turn the rotors since they were still true with zero warpage. Drove another 2 years before I sold that truck at 200k and the original rear brake pads were still going strong (and the front rotors were still true). Stopped on a dime and as good as any other 7,000 lbs vehicle on the road.

My experience with AC Delco parts has been similar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I appreciate all the responses. Didn't mean to get this conversation heated. lol. I have owned dodge vehicles in the past and the brakes were top notch. I've always heard ( from family and friends ) that dodge was known for having good brakes in the past also. I'm also taking in the fact that my (white mistress) is a little on the heavy side. I've considered doing a rotor and pad swap (not slotted or drilled) and maube throwing some ss lines on it. I really didn't consider changing fluid yet because the truck is mainly used on the highway right now. The truck is about to turn 40k miles but i might consider changing to fluid too if it helps.

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I appreciate all the responses. Didn't mean to get this conversation heated. lol. I have owned dodge vehicles in the past and the brakes were top notch. I've always heard ( from family and friends ) that dodge was known for having good brakes in the past also. I'm also taking in the fact that my (white mistress) is a little on the heavy side. I've considered doing a rotor and pad swap (not slotted or drilled) and maube throwing some ss lines on it. I really didn't consider changing fluid yet because the truck is mainly used on the highway right now. The truck is about to turn 40k miles but i might consider changing to fluid too if it helps.

Didn't mean that. But I'm not fond of drive-by rude counter-points either.

Brake fluid is a great place to start and can certainly be a cause of brakes becoming "squishy". It absorbs water over time (highway miles or not), which can lead to less than ideal stopping feel as the water heats up. Ultimately, you may improve your braking with about $10 worth of fluid. Or you can totally drop a bunch of money on SS lines and "high performance" parts without knowing if you really needed to spend all that money.

A graduated response is always best, and don't do more than one thing at a time so you can see what each new part change affects.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
reviews on that kit for the 2500 are hit and miss. plenty of kits for the 1500 though. I know talked to a guy at stoptech brakes and he said thier fleet side sells a fleet performance pad that works great on heavy duty trucks. He recommended bleeding the vrakes and adding these pads along with properly bedding them.