Stupid question about air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so clue me in, as dumb as it is, where is my stock airbox sucking are in from? the fender? if so, how easy would it be to get splashing water into it? or a small creek crossing? i have a 6 inch lift and slightly bigger than 35 inch tires on it.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Even with a lift, if you have the inner fender water should not infiltrate the air filter

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Even with a lift, if you have the inner fender water should not infiltrate the air filter

Unless you submerge the wheel well--then you are getting mighty close to hydro-locking your engine: bubble, bubble, bubble.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

There are tons of reports of hydrolocked hemis sue to water splashing up the inner fender. The placement was pretty poorly thought out.

OP
OP
R

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so i guess then my next question would be, since i have the fender liner, where does an aftermarket CAI like the AFE one pull the air from?!

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
so i guess then my next question would be, since i have the fender liner, where does an aftermarket CAI like the AFE one pull the air from?!

Appears to pull from the exact same place :) I think the factory snorkel just snaps into their box.

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
First, watch out what aftermarket "CAI" you select. Most are actually "Hot Air Intakes". If the CAI uses metal to make a "safe air space". that would actually be a hot box intake. Or if the CAI is just a pipe, with a cone filter in the corner of the engine bay. That is a hot air intake.

The factory air box mounts the filter up, above a cavity. That cavity (bottom of the air box) is where the intake pipe is. Some designs pull from the front, some from the side, some from the bottom.

This type of air box is the safest to use in water. Water may enter the box, but it will drain from weep holes at the bottom. It is important to remember, you ACTUALLY own a truck and NOT a boat. When forging water, it is best to not go deeper then the middle of the tires.

Having an open air filter, like a cone filter, and crossing water is very dangerous. If the filter is resting on a body part, like inner fender, it WILL suck up water like a sponge.

If you plan on forging water regularly, then keep the factory box, or get a real snorkel kit. Most are fake, for looks only. Although they can bring in fresh air. One thing to take into account with intakes is to keep the plumbing as short as possible. The longer the intake pipes, the less HP you will get. Go to McDonald's, put 10 straws together and drink a Coke. Then use one straw, and note the lower resistance.

Finally, if you have full coverage insurance. Insurance will cover the replacement of a hydro locked engine.