Suspension Softening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Let me preface this by saying I know a 3/4 ton is meant to have a stiffer suspension for hauling and while I do plan on hauling, it's not gonna be super crazy. What I'm looking to do is soften the suspension just a little so I don't feel every tiny bump in the road and don't get the **** tossed out of myself while off-roading.

Now, onto what I've got and what I know I wanna do...

Stock 2015 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi

Plans:

Level it out
Carli sway bar
17" Level 8 wheels w/35" rubber
And hopefully soften the ride just a little...

So, I am open to suggestions on how to soften things up a bit. Hit me with what you got! And thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Letting air out of the tires when not hauling is easy but sets the TPMS ablaze. There are some "fixes" out but I don't know if they work. You can redo the entire rear suspension with an air kit but that is definitely some big $$$.

Also, I don't know if a full air ride kit is even available for these trucks. A buddy had one on his 2006 2500 GMC which was awesome. The thing rode like a luxury car until he hit a button on the dash and aired up.

Driving an HD truck is the classic trade-off. Carrying/hauling capability = a harsh ride.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look into medium duty air ride seats . I drove one for 7 years and it was a life saver. The seats do move, but you get used to it. If you haul, I wouldn't loosen that up too much.

Looks like most are for seats 2006 or older, but this is what you need. They may have spring ones out there, dunno for sure.

Is it lifted?

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Why don't you swap your coils with the Power Wagon coils? They are softer linear rate coils.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does your truck have 17 " wheels now ?

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Letting air out of the tires when not hauling is easy but sets the TPMS ablaze. There are some "fixes" out but I don't know if they work. You can redo the entire rear suspension with an air kit but that is definitely some big $$$.

Also, I don't know if a full air ride kit is even available for these trucks. A buddy had one on his 2006 2500 GMC which was awesome. The thing rode like a luxury car until he hit a button on the dash and aired up.

Driving an HD truck is the classic trade-off. Carrying/hauling capability = a harsh ride.

Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from spending HUGE money on it. I grew up on the rodeo circuit and I remember more of the towing than the daily driving of the heavy duty trucks. I chose the HD with the knowledge of the stiffer suspension, I just didn't remember how stiff it was. Plus, as a kid we didn't go off road in the HD. We had a 79 Power Wagon for that. Lol

Look into medium duty air ride seats . I drove one for 7 years and it was a life saver. The seats do move, but you get used to it. If you haul, I wouldn't loosen that up too much.

Looks like most are for seats 2006 or older, but this is what you need. They may have spring ones out there, dunno for sure.

Is it lifted?

The truck is not lifted. I don't plan on putting a lift on it, only leveling.

I'll look into the seats, thank you.

Why don't you swap your coils with the Power Wagon coils? They are softer linear rate coils.

Holy ****! I didn't even think about that! That would make so much sense, especially since it's a plug and play part. I will have to look at those!

Does your truck have 17 " wheels now ?

It does not at the moment. I much prefer the "classic" truck look of "more rubber than wheel" than the newer style. Not that I take issue with it, it's use not my thing.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Lowering the tire pressure definitely helps the ride and the TPMS "fix" does work. Assuming you can find a dealer willing to do it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just the 17" wheels alone will help your ride due to more sidewalls on the tire itself . Imo a much better look than 20" + wheels on a truck.
Don't lower the tire pressure too much , that will promote uneven tire wear and could damage the tire . A 4-7 psi drop makes a difference in ride quality ! 10+ psi drop is not recommended for everyday driving .

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Lower the tire pressure and people will say don't, but remove the front and rear sway bars completely. Ram sway bars are terrible and are a lot to blame for the harsh jarring bumps. I pulled both off the mega and my '01 Cummins and the ride difference is night and day. The ones on the '01 have been gone for years... Lol
Plus you drop 40+ pounds of unsprung and highly unneeded weight.
Try it, I promise you won't put them back on. If you don't like it, both bars can be reinstalled in less than 20min.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lower the tire pressure and people will say don't, but remove the front and rear sway bars completely. Ram sway bars are terrible and are a lot to blame for the harsh jarring bumps. I pulled both off the mega and my '01 Cummins and the ride difference is night and day. The ones on the '01 have been gone for years... Lol
Plus you drop 40+ pounds of unsprung and highly unneeded weight.
Try it, I promise you won't put them back on. If you don't like it, both bars can be reinstalled in less than 20min.
Hmm , I've never heard of that ?
I must say when I installed my bilsteins up front I was looking at my anti-sway and thought. " I don't think that's helping anything "
I reinstalled it , but I can kinda see what your saying .

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Let me preface this by saying I know a 3/4 ton is meant to have a stiffer suspension for hauling and while I do plan on hauling, it's not gonna be super crazy. What I'm looking to do is soften the suspension just a little so I don't feel every tiny bump in the road and don't get the **** tossed out of myself while off-roading.

Now, onto what I've got and what I know I wanna do...

Stock 2015 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi

Plans:

Level it out
Carli sway bar
17" Level 8 wheels w/35" rubber
And hopefully soften the ride just a little...

So, I am open to suggestions on how to soften things up a bit. Hit me with what you got! And thanks!

My 2014 2500 is the roughest truck I have ever driven but I knew that before I bought it. I have noticed if I put 3000 lbs. in the bed it rides like a Cadillac but I don't want to buy the gas to pull that load all the time. I know, I'm not much help but just wanted you to know I feel your pain.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lower the tire pressure and people will say don't, but remove the front and rear sway bars completely. Ram sway bars are terrible and are a lot to blame for the harsh jarring bumps.

I'll say it: Don't. ;) It's a common misconception that "sway bars" (technically anti-roll bars) only reduce body roll. They are also a tool to tune oversteer/understeer characteristics. If the anti-roll bars are removed the handling at the limit changes, often drastically. The dangerous part is that a truck typically is not driven at the limit and it won't show until an evasive maneuver is performed or a turn tightens/changes surface/drops to the outside etc..

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I knew I left mine on for a reason ! Under/oversteer...

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I took some brand new Mopar Performance Super Stock springs, which were supposed to go in my 64 dart bracket car, into a leaf spring manufacturing company in Seattle to take a little of the arch out to level the car. Huge mistake. Car became nearly uncontrollable. What used to be predictable behavior became like playing Russian roulette. I never knew which guardrail it was hunting. I know that was a race car, but I guess my point is be careful, deal with professionally manufactured parts. Maybe 1/2 ton springs would work for you.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I'll say it: Don't. ;) It's a common misconception that "sway bars" (technically anti-roll bars) only reduce body roll. They are also a tool to tune oversteer/understeer characteristics. If the anti-roll bars are removed the handling at the limit changes, often drastically. The dangerous part is that a truck typically is not driven at the limit and it won't show until an evasive maneuver is performed or a turn tightens/changes surface/drops to the outside etc..

If y'all are driving a 2500 truck at the limit, you need to go buy a new toy...
You'll never get a 6.4 to oversteer first off, it will under steer terribly with or without the bars.
And since you brought it up, if you remove a away bar, you've softened the suspension, allowing it to do its job, and softer=weight transfer=traction. So you're handling on a vehicle that isn't designed for corners will effectively get better.

Like I said, try it out. You don't like it, you're out almost an hour to remove and reinstall them. I promise you won't put them back on.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I haven't found anything searching around, but does anyone know of a list or resource that shows spring rates for all the coils used on the 2500 (mine is a 2015 4x4 5.7 LB SC with the snow plow package). PW coils sound of interest, but how does one know which ones to order?

es

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
In addition to the Power Wagon coils option, has anyone heard good things about Dodge Off Road llc? They have coils which they say will level out the front and rear and offer a softer ride.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Carli springs I have read ride much better and will level the truck out.

They don't make them for stock height or for 2015... Unfortunately