Tailgate Led Light Strip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to install a LED Brake light strip under my tailgate and was wondering what would be the better brand to go with. Seems a lot of the reviews I read allways go to say how the lights fail here and there. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
would like to do this mod to.
I know they make an adaptor that you can unplug the harness for trailer lights from bumper, plug the adaptor in then plug harness on back of it, that way there is no wiring cutting, BUT I cant remember which member told me about it,

Ixxblitzxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
I've had mine for well over a year, no issues. It's seem snow, salt, mud, water, I even accidentally snipped one of the wires but was able to fix it. I got it off Amazon, can't quite remember the brand though. It looks awesome and functions great. Had to splice into my reverse wire, no big deal at all, and I ended up getting to 1 to 2 trailer plug wire so I can plug a trailer and the tailgate bar in at the same time.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
nice.
Hope someone posts a link to harness and a good led strip.
I am seeing them more and more and really starting to like them, at first I didn't, BUT guess there growing on me.

Bferren

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never actually installed one but putco has one called switchblade that from what I've talked to them about and seen are easy to install and are probably by far the brightest one I've seen. Amazon has the 60" for $150. I saw it at a show for work when they first came out about a year ago and I could not believe how bright it was.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Does the 2500 have "Plugs directly into a standard flat 4-pin trailer light connector"?

So I just went outside and looked at mine, has the towing package on it from Ram, and yes....it does have a standard flat 4 pin plug as well as the larger towing harness plug.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yeah plugs into 4 pin. I bought a splitter from ledz off amazon so easy to connect to trailers. Splicing the tow harness isn't hard I was just to lazy. Mine are redline from opt7. Super bright and only 50 bucks. Been on almost a year now with no complaints. I actually have two on.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Also they aren't drilled in. Just 3m tape and I live on the beach so if it wouldn't of held the salt would've eaten it off by now.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
So I just went outside and looked at mine, has the towing package on it from Ram, and yes....it does have a standard flat 4 pin plug as well as the larger towing harness plug.

Thanks - considering all the rear end accidents I see because people are distracted when driving; these lights might help a bit in getting noticed.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
not to sound like a ****, but personally I think installing LEDs under the tailgate looks cheap and childish. thats just my honest opinion.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
I just looked at the rear area of my truck as the opt-7 light looks like a great add on, and I see there is the hole for the spare tire crank in the location the light would go, so wondering if the light covers that hole up?
The other thing I would be concerned about is the when I got my truck bed Line-X'd, they sprayed that area of the truck bed, so will the light stick to the line-X material?

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
not to sound like a ****, but personally I think installing LEDs under the tailgate looks cheap and childish. thats just my honest opinion.

If it was just a LED light that only lite up, I would likely not consider, but the opt-7 lights up for night time, works for signals & brakes, as well when you reverse....great functionality IMO.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stoney

Thank you, I never thought about the hole for spare tire.
Now I would like to see more pics before I make the jump

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45