Temps a little higher with new cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So I put a new PML transmission pan on, as well as replaced the filters. With the stick pan I was getting readings around 168-172* once fully warmed up. After putting on the new pan, when cruising on the highway, I'm getting 177-179*. As soon as I get off the highway and into some stop and go stuff, the temp drops 10*.

Now, when I first did the pan swap, I wasn't sure how much tranny fluid I needed with the new cover. So I put in 8 quarts, let it sit overnight, and checked this morning. It wasn't quit reading on the dipstick, so I took 2 more quarts with me on my drive to work, and I was going to put some more in there once I got to work and it was light outside.

I put in the 2 quarts and the fluid level looks fine, no issues....drove her home and same thing, upper 170's on the highway, behaved just as it did on the way to work when it was technically low.

I'm not getting any leaks or drips anywhere, that I can see. I'm pretty bummed because I was planning on this new pan and extra 2 quarts of fluid to DROP my temps so I can feel better about the tranny lasting longer.

Is there something I could have done during the process that would result in this?

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure of the procedure for checking fluid level on something that new, but I'm guessing you are still low. How can you add 2 more quarts and overall temp goes up? Unless the new filter has reduced flow and is cavitating the fluid. With an HD trans, big torque converter, and probaby an external trans cooler, 10 overall seems like not enough. What's a service manual call for?

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya..good lord...according to the capacity list on amsoil, which is usually accurate, you are still low by far.

CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........7 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........16.6 quarts
Passenger Car & Light Truck Antifreeze & Coolant
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, 66RFE 4WD Initial Fill..........6.6 quarts
Automatic Transmission, 66RFE RWD Initial Fill..........5.5 quarts
Automatic Transmission, AS66RC Initial Fill..........7.2 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
6 speed 66RFE 4WD..........12 quarts
6 speed 66RFE RWD..........12 quarts
6 speed AS66RC..........13.7 quarts
Differential, 11.5 AA With LSD Rear..........8.5 pints
Differential, 11.5 AA Without LSD Rear..........8.9 pints
Differential, 9.25 AA With LSD Front..........4.2 pints
Differential, 9.25 AA Without LSD Front..........4.6 pints
Transfer Case, BW 44-47..........3.8 pints [2]
Transfer Case, BW 44-46..........3.8 pints [2]
[1] After refill check oil level.
[2] Fill transfer case to bottom

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm not sure of the procedure for checking fluid level on something that new, but I'm guessing you are still low. How can you add 2 more quarts and overall temp goes up? Unless the new filter has reduced flow and is cavitating the fluid. With an HD trans, big torque converter, and probaby an external trans cooler, 10 overall seems like not enough. What's a service manual call for?

I'm using OEM filters, picked them up from the dealership that day. I didn't flush the entire system, just drained it and added a little more. My temps were the same today before and after I added the 2 quarts, which seems odd. Before, the trans would get hotter when I would sit in traffic, lights, etc., and be a smidge cooler on the highway. Now it's the opposite. I was hoping that my temps would drop at least 10* with the new setup, kinda disappointed.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ya..good lord...according to the capacity list on amsoil, which is usually accurate, you are still low by far.

CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........7 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........16.6 quarts
Passenger Car & Light Truck Antifreeze & Coolant
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, 66RFE 4WD Initial Fill..........6.6 quarts
Automatic Transmission, 66RFE RWD Initial Fill..........5.5 quarts
Automatic Transmission, AS66RC Initial Fill..........7.2 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
6 speed 66RFE 4WD..........12 quarts
6 speed 66RFE RWD..........12 quarts
6 speed AS66RC..........13.7 quarts
Differential, 11.5 AA With LSD Rear..........8.5 pints
Differential, 11.5 AA Without LSD Rear..........8.9 pints
Differential, 9.25 AA With LSD Front..........4.2 pints
Differential, 9.25 AA Without LSD Front..........4.6 pints
Transfer Case, BW 44-47..........3.8 pints [2]
Transfer Case, BW 44-46..........3.8 pints [2]
[1] After refill check oil level.
[2] Fill transfer case to bottom

That's odd, because the fluid level is registering where it should be on the dip stick. I'll double check in the morning. Is that saying that just from dropping the tranny pan that you'll need to replace 12 quarts, or is that 12 quarts for the entire system (including what's in the TC)?

Last edited:

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Are you sure it's not just a coincidence with the warming weather? Not trying to be insulting, but sometimes we simply overlook things like that.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Are you sure it's not just a coincidence with the warming weather? Not trying to be insulting, but sometimes we simply overlook things like that.

I drove the truck all last summer here in Dallas and it never got above 175-177 in the middle of summer. And that would be idling in traffic, cruising down the road it would stay between 170-172.

Last edited:

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's odd, because the fluid level is registering where it should be on the dip stick. I'll double check in the morning. Is that saying that just from dropping the tranny pan that you'll need to replace 12 quarts, or is that 12 quarts for the entire system (including what's in the TC)?

It's 12 total. So I figure you drained most of the entire trans's contents when you dropped the pan. Depending how big of a trans cooler and converter these have, the only thing that didn't drain was maybe a quart in the converter/lines. Are you positive you don't have the trans that says 13.5?
If it just barely registers full I'm sure it can take more.

What's the procedure to check it? Being it's not 1970 anymore. Level ground,while warm, in neutral? I thought Chrysler stopped putting dip sticks in about everything after 2009

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It's 12 total. So I figure you drained most of the entire trans's contents when you dropped the pan. Depending how big of a trans cooler and converter these have, the only thing that didn't drain was maybe a quart in the converter/lines. Are you positive you don't have the trans that says 13.5?
If it just barely registers full I'm sure it can take more.

What's the procedure to check it? Being it's not 1970 anymore. Level ground,while warm, in neutral? I thought Chrysler stopped putting dip sticks in about everything after 2009

I have the 66RFE trans. I just looked up the check method for tranny fluid and it's ridiculous haha. Guess I need to do some driving to warm it up, shift through all the gears, put on the parking brake, and check when in neutral. Surely there's an easier way than this haha. Checking "cold" (65* or so), it reads right between the cold and hot marks on the stick.

And it does have a dip stick, it's poking up on the passenger side of the engine.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya. Check it the proper way. That's common. Cold in park isn't correct for anything I have ever owned. Including older muscle cars.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ya. Check it the proper way. That's common. Cold in park isn't correct for anything I have ever owned. Including older muscle cars.

Yep you guys were right. Checked it when warmed up and in neutral, and I was still low. Looks like a drain with the new cover takes a full 12 quarts to refill. I was barely registering on the dip stick, gonna put two more in there.

I was only reading 6* warmer than normal, so no big deal there.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
After getting the fluid level where it should be (just checked after driving to work), I'm still getting 177* on the highway. Once off the highway and doing some stop and go through traffic lights, it drops to 163-167*. Don't know what the deal is...I refilled with Red Line C+ fluid.

Could it be an issue with the flat filter not being seated properly? It seemed pretty straight forward when I did it, with that upper neck fitting into that little circle seal on the underside of the tranny. Is that filter the one that sucks fluid from the pan to the tranny? Could the new deeper pan cause issue with the fluid in the pan getting fully used and circulated down there?

Last edited:

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After getting the fluid level where it should be (just checked after driving to work), I'm still getting 177* on the highway. Once off the highway and doing some stop and go through traffic lights, it drops to 163-167*. Don't know what the deal is...I refilled with Red Line C+ fluid.

Could it be an issue with the flat filter not being seated properly? It seemed pretty straight forward when I did it, with that upper neck fitting into that little circle seal on the underside of the tranny. Is that filter the one that sucks fluid from the pan to the tranny? Could the new deeper pan cause issue with the fluid in the pan getting fully used and circulated down there?

2 things

1. most deep pans come with a filter extension, to keep the filter in the fluid.

2. If the system was supposed to be 12 when OE, and you put a 2 quart deep pan on it...12+2 is 14. its no longer 12.

call w/e company made the trans pan, and report your findings. AFTER you check it a few more times, and get what i'm assuming needs to be 14 quarts, back in it.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
2 things

1. most deep pans come with a filter extension, to keep the filter in the fluid.

2. If the system was supposed to be 12 when OE, and you put a 2 quart deep pan on it...12+2 is 14. its no longer 12.

call w/e company made the trans pan, and report your findings. AFTER you check it a few more times, and get what i'm assuming needs to be 14 quarts, back in it.

I emailed PML to get their opinion, and if I possibly missed something that would cause this rise in temps.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I agree. Always check a tranny warm. And i have also learned from others that i will catch all my drained tranny fluid to measure exactly how much has come out so i know what to put in.