Thin Body Panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Is anyone else having issues with body panels denting easily? Seems like about all you have to do is lean on your truck to make a dent. I have even noticed places that flex a lot like around your door handle has slightly distorted as well. I needed to get rid of some gas out of a plastic gas container & just above the fuel door where the can rested it left a small dent. As heavy as this ******* is you would think that the body panels would be thicker than that! I guess most of the weight is from drive train & framing.
I guess it's time to call the paintless dent removal guy!

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Haven't had any issues on mine.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's a frequent complaint.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They call the side bed dents "leaner dents" for a reason.... it sucks.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I got news for you guys, unfortunately GM is no better in fact is likely worse. My 2015 Silverado had extremely thin body panels. The aluminum Hood was so lightweight I could visibly see it shaking at highway speeds. GM junk

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Everytime I look at the side of my bed i get sick. Looks wavy. No dent but waves.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Welcome to modern vehicles. The roof sheet metal is particularly flimsy. I can push down on it in certain spots with light pressure and deflect it.

Years ago I dented in most of the drivers door of a buddies 80's Ford Ranger (lol don't ask alcohol was involved) We pulled out the panel with a plunger and it was like it never happened. Can't do that on todays trucks. :weld:

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
True story. I had a 1971 Chevy Nova in the 1980's. It was a beater and I wanted to make 1" hole in the back 1/4 panel to install an antennae. I had a pointed chisel and a 5 pound sledge. I was also 25 years old and a lot stronger than I am today. So I took the chisel and the sledge and hauled off and gave it a massive shot... the sledge and chisel bounced off and my arm was ringing like a bell. Not a dent, not even a scratch.

I always think of that when I look at the marks made from opening my door and barely touching anything in my garage on all my new trucks. I don't park next to anyone at stores either if I can avoid it. I tell the wife the walk is good for her.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
True story. I had a 1971 Chevy Nova in the 1980's. It was a beater and I wanted to make 1" hole in the back 1/4 panel to install an antennae. I had a pointed chisel and a 5 pound sledge. I was also 25 years old and a lot stronger than I am today. So I took the chisel and the sledge and hauled off and gave it a massive shot... the sledge and chisel bounced off and my arm was ringing like a bell. Not a dent, not even a scratch.

I had a '72 Nova back in the day. I remember breaking 3 drill bits trying to install a CB radio under the dash!

-K

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I guess this is what happens when manufacturers build vehicles to meet safety
requirements. After all, you can't sell a vehicle if it doesn't meet these requirements. Vehicles today have to be able to absorbent and deflect impacts away from the driver unlike the old days where the panels were so stiff and strong that most of the energy from the impact got transferred to the driver.

Today's vehicles also have to meet emissions and mpg requirements too. Which is why things are being added to them that actually decrease reliability and longevity like EGR systems or thinning out metal parts to lighten the vehicle in order to meet mpg requirements.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye