Those with amp power steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Just ordered the amp power steps, those of you with them, did you use the rivet nuts that come with the steps. I have steps now that will be coming off, so I have the threaded clips that came with them.. With the success of the rivet nuts on the deezee, not sure I want to have to use them...

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need the rivet nuts. I cant imagine the bolt pattern or thread is the same. I used them with ease, Im not sure what your experience was but they went smooth as butter for me.

The threaded inserts you have from your old boards you can try to reuse, but again there is a reason Amp uses this setup of the steel plate threaded setup?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not sure the bolt thread size would be the same between two. I had RBP steps previous to the AMP's. I pulled, (or attempted to) the RBP rivnuts and used the ones that came with AMP's kit. Before I installed the AMP's I cleaned and repainted the areas the RBP rivnuts and step hardware had rubbed to prevent rust. 4 of the 6 came out ok, 2 busted and I had to retrieve half from inside the rocker panel with a magnet. If you are going to pul the old rivnuts, go slow and easy.

On an aside, the AMP's for my year are also riveted to the rocker panel. A right angle drill is about a must for installation if you plan to use the rivets.

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque

No, but the directions show they come with something for inserting them..

Not sure the bolt thread size would be the same between two. I had RBP steps previous to the AMP's. I pulled, (or attempted to) the RBP rivnuts and used the ones that came with AMP's kit. Before I installed the AMP's I cleaned and repainted the areas the RBP rivnuts and step hardware had rubbed to prevent rust. 4 of the 6 came out ok, 2 busted and I had to retrieve half from inside the rocker panel with a magnet. If you are going to pul the old rivnuts, go slow and easy.

On an aside, the AMP's for my year are also riveted to the rocker panel. A right angle drill is about a must for installation if you plan to use the rivets.

current ones do not have rivnuts, just the clamp looking things with the threaded portion in the hole. Not sure what they are called. Should be easy to pull out.

You will need the rivet nuts. I cant imagine the bolt pattern or thread is the same. I used them with ease, Im not sure what your experience was but they went smooth as butter for me.

The threaded inserts you have from your old boards you can try to reuse, but again there is a reason Amp uses this setup of the steel plate threaded setup?

My experience with the riv nuts on my F150 were with the deezee tailgate damper and they were going into an oval hole instead of round. Worked for a little while, then had to modify..

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely want a round hole for the collar portion of the rivet nut or nutsert to to smash down on to pinch the sheet metal to hold in place..

I use these a lot when tooling up our Firetrucks with tools since there is many many locations I cannot get to both sides when installing mounting brackets and such, so far they hold up well and I have yet to have a failure on my work, not the factory installed ones that's a different subject.
I ask if you had a tool like that cause I am not a fan of the bolt to smash the collar, but that is just my personal preference.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They come with a tool that uses a wrench and ratchet. They are really easy to do. Stop overthinking it. Other than the blind rivets that hold the plate in place while you setup the nutserts, thats really the only oddball thing you need.

Just a heads up, you may need to know how to repin a connector. Both motors were wired backwards. So a jewlers flat head you pull the wires from the connector into the motor and swap the wires around.

It was funny, close the door and they go down, open it and they suck up into the truck.

As well if you wire the OBD backwards they fire on the wrong side. So when I first wired it up you open the driver door it would pull up the passenger door, close the passenger door, it would deploy the dirver side.

Take your time, do not over think the install.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They come with a tool that uses a wrench and ratchet. They are really easy to do. Stop overthinking it. Other than the blind rivets that hold the plate in place while you setup the nutserts, thats really the only oddball thing you need.

Just a heads up, you may need to know how to repin a connector. Both motors were wired backwards. So a jewlers flat head you pull the wires from the connector into the motor and swap the wires around.

It was funny, close the door and they go down, open it and they suck up into the truck.

As well if you wire the OBD backwards they fire on the wrong side. So when I first wired it up you open the driver door it would pull up the passenger door, close the passenger door, it would deploy the dirver side.

Weird. First I've ever heard of something like that. Mine were just plug and play. Flawless. Didn't even have to do the jump up and down seating/adjustment.

TheOPWK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They come with a tool that uses a wrench and ratchet. They are really easy to do. Stop overthinking it. .......

Agreed. The install is time consuming. But it is straight forward. The riv-nut install tool thing they give you works fine. The Riv-Nuts themselves have a hex collar, and they fit into hex shaped holes. As long as they are seated against the metal, you cant really mess them up.

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I installed them on my F250, but there were no riv nuts, the rockers were threaded for bolts. Did not have any weird wiring issues either...

thanks all

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
If you have stock steps the AMP steps will bolt on directly to where the stock ones did. You can use the rivnuts that are already in the truck. You shouldn't need to install any.

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
not stock steps, have the n-fabs that came with the threaded clips that set in the holes in the rocker....

InvictusII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yes, you should use the new hardware that includes the steel backing plate. I thought the entire install was pretty easy. The riv-nuts were not hard at all and only took about 15 minutes to do all 8. As I recall, I counted the number of turns and also checked them with a torque wrench.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not very hard if you have mechanical ability and common sense. Follow the directions, don't shortcut the install , nor think you know better. Its very very straight forward and the results are simply amazing. I love the steps!!!

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I put them on my 05 and loved them. Getting ready to order for my 16. Did everyone go with the plug n play or did you wire it up under the dash?

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Not very hard if you have mechanical ability and common sense. Follow the directions, don't shortcut the install , nor think you know better. Its very very straight forward and the results are simply amazing. I love the steps!!!

Like I said before, put them on my F250, but they already had threaded rockers.. Going in tomorrow...

I put them on my 05 and loved them. Getting ready to order for my 16. Did everyone go with the plug n play or did you wire it up under the dash?

Yes, plug and play is the way to go.. If you have a tuner or something, just get a splitter off of amazon, they are cheap enough...

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
installed today, had issues with the driver side hitting the pinch welds. The "seating in" as they call it does not explain what it does. Makes sense after talking to Amp Rep on phone..