Thuren Coils & Shocks Installed (Pics & Opinion Included!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey Guys,

Link to my original post about the choice between spacers and coils/shocks is here – http://www.ramforum.com/f158/2_5_sl_spacers_thuren_coils_shocks_my_new_2016_2500_6_4_mc-93129/

Leveling kit has been installed! First few pics show “before” and the last pics are obviously “afters”. From the pictures it doesn’t look like a big difference, but adding the coils and shocks made ALL the difference to me! While I’ve only had the truck for just a little over a month the added presence of it now being level has been noticed by several people. I get comments like “Man! That’s a big truck!” all the time and I can only image what you other guys who are running more lift and bigger tires get!

The driving impression isn’t that much different, but I can tell my headlights throw more light out now, so an adjustment might be in the plans, even though I’ve only been flashed once from oncoming traffic since lifting the truck last week. As far as the ride goes, I was impressed with the stock ride quality from the start, so this is just that much better! Not a huge night and day difference, but it is more compliant over choppy stuff like expansion joints.

My plan was to run it as-is until the stock Transforce tires wore out, but I don’t think I’ll be able to resist putting 35’s on! I’d love to run 37’s, but the 6.4/3.73 gear combo most likely wouldn’t like that too much with regard to fuel mileage. But when you only get 11mpg how much worse can it be? (I’m joking about that one! Running 35’s will be bad enough on the fuel efficiency!)

To summarize, I’m glad I went with the coils/shocks vs. just the spacers. The work/time required to do either is about the same (maybe less if you consider you don’t have to drill for the shock spacer. And I got mine professionally installed, with the price being the same either way). I plan on keeping this truck for at least 10 years, so choosing parts/accessories is a long-term decision for me, and I’d rather do it correctly the 1st time!

BEFORE

AFTER

Jake2544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks great, did you end up with the 2" coils ?

OP
OP
moonshinexxx

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That looks great, did you end up with the 2" coils ?

No, these are the 3" Hemi coils. Made my truck EXACTLY level; measured at the center of each wheel well to the ground.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Looks great man! Definitely bigger and beefier looking for sure. Once you get tires that will make a huge difference as well and just add to the wow factor.

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looks good! I hope to be installing mine Friday night. Was going to ask how that went for you but I saw you had it done.

Jake2544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now you hurry up and put those new tires on!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dis u just do the front? Or front and rear? Did u do the sway bar?

OP
OP
moonshinexxx

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
dis u just do the front? Or front and rear? Did u do the sway bar?

Just did the front. And it was done without the Thuren track bar due to it being brand new with approx. 1,500 miles on it.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just did the front. And it was done without the Thuren track bar due to it being brand new with approx. 1,500 miles on it.
Where did you buy them and how much?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cjc offroad has tons of dodge Hd stuff - including this kit

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought mine direct and I got the track bar. I have 10,000 but doesn't the track bar pull the front axle back to centered? I didn't know why they said with less miles you wouldn't need one

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought mine direct and I got the track bar. I have 10,000 but doesn't the track bar pull the front axle back to centered? I didn't know why they said with less miles you wouldn't need one

Two different issues. The track bar will allow you to re-center the axle after lifting (or lowering) the truck. Mileage won't affect this in any way. Some people have experienced "death wobble" after altering the suspension and/or installing different tires. Excess play in the track bar bushing can contribute to this occurrence. Thuren actually has a write-up on the issue.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/death-wobble-in-depth.html

OP
OP
moonshinexxx

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Two different issues. The track bar will allow you to re-center the axle after lifting (or lowering) the truck. Mileage won't affect this in any way. Some people have experienced "death wobble" after altering the suspension and/or installing different tires. Excess play in the track bar bushing can contribute to this occurrence. Thuren actually has a write-up on the issue.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/death-wobble-in-depth.html

Yes, I talked to Thuren directly (nice guys, BTW!) and was told that while their track bar is beefier and a bit longer to help aid in centering the axle after lifting it wasn't a mandatory requirement for a new truck. My particular truck has approx. 1,600 miles and while the axle is now just a tad off, (no more than 1/2" out on the driver's side) I'm fine with not having the Thuren track bar. And since my truck will see little to no offroading and will only experience normal wear, the factory bar should be fine for my particular usage for a long while. But should a change be needed in the future I will add the Thuren track bar, no question.

Thuren suggests going with their bar if your truck has 20k+ miles due to the potential for worn bushings to have an adverse effect on the handling when adding longer coils and shocks. It seems to me that they just want to assure the customer is getting quality stuff and doing things correctly.

And from what I've gathered, the "death wobble" issue isn't as prevalent in the 4th gen trucks due to the redesigned suspension, so that was comforting to know!

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FYI, I did install their track bar and it made a huge difference in front end confidence/stability. Highly recommended.

OP
OP
moonshinexxx

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FYI, I did install their track bar and it made a huge difference in front end confidence/stability. Highly recommended.

Good deal! How many miles do you have on your truck?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good deal! How many miles do you have on your truck?

Mileage is about 19k now but installed the bar when I probably had about 5k. Even with fresh OEM parts there was a very noticeable difference.

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I ordered it as well. So when I start the install tomorrow I will be adding the track bar

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well the install went nicely. Didn't take much time at all. It's at the tire shop and they just called and said it was aligned and tires on. Will be picking it up soon!

Jake2544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the install went nicely. Didn't take much time at all. It's at the tire shop and they just called and said it was aligned and tires on. Will be picking it up soon!
Pics???