Tire pressures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Dealership put brand new Firestone’s on the 6.4 crewcab I just bought. Filled them with nitrogen if the green caps are to be believed. They set them at 65 front and 80 rear which seems excessive. What pressures work well for a daily driver that doesn’t haul or tow often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Dealership put brand new Firestone’s on the 6.4 crewcab I just bought. Filled them with nitrogen if the green caps are to be believed. They set them at 65 front and 80 rear which seems excessive. What pressures work well for a daily driver that doesn’t haul or tow often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What's the tire and wheel sizes? I believe the factory settings for the 6.4L Hemi is 60 front & 80 rear but check the door jamb sticker. The TPMS warnings will come on at 20% below those values. There's lots of opinions on psi settings and the chalk test is a good one. Personally I'd run 50 front and 45 rear but you're going to get the light, chime and EVIC warnings. If that's something you don't want to live with, then check out the stickie in this section or shoot me a PM.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
According to this 2014 towing guide your total truck weight is 7000# rounding up, 4000 front and 3000 rear. Now use the Toyo Load Inflation Table as a guideline and it shows your size could be aired to 50 front and 40 rear and still have more than 1000# of extra capacity. Of course all tires are created equal but IMO 1000# is more than sufficient.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just be aware that you'll have a TPMS warning at around 65 psi as that is below the low pressure stock programmed threshold.

There are ways to alter that threshold using an Autel tool that can access two modules in the truck. Dodge techs used to be able to access both modules with their OEM diagnostic tool but Ram decided, when the tool was updated to access newer models, to lock out access to those options.

There's a LOT more info and discussion in this thread:

http://www.ramforum.com/f158/hd_tire_pressure_monitoring_system_reset-70913/

As far as recommended pressures in the stock tires, you can air down to 60 psi cold but be prepared for some abnormal wear at the outside of the tread.

Many Ram owners have moved to a tire that requires less pressure but still has a Load Range E rating required for the loads an HD can carry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo