Tire size question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sugarray

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Mega Cab, Laramie, 4.10
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, I'd like to get Firestone Destination A/T's for my truck.

Stock size is 275/70/18

Available size is 275/65/18

What do you all think?

Other size options?

When I look at tire rack, I see Goodyear Wrangler All-terrain and Michelin LTX M/S2. I had 2 sets of the Michelin's, but would like an A/T tire. Didn't like the BFG A/T KOs I had in the past as they didn't clean well enough for me and I didn't like the snow traction.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Other options aside, the nominal size of the 275/65 should yield a slightly shorter tire. However, the sizes are nominal and the actual height can be be greater/less than. Compare the installed heights as given in the manufacturer's specs. If that was the tire I wanted and the height is acceptable, I'd run it.

OP
OP
S

sugarray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Were you opposed to the Goodyear Duratrac design?

Just looked at them, and yes. They are much more aggressive that I'll ever buy.

The truck will come with Firestone Transforce A/T. I just haven't read good reviews on them.

OP
OP
S

sugarray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, here are the specs:

Transforce A/T => 125 (3638), R (106), 33.2" diameter

Destination A/T => 123 (3417), S (112), 32.1" diameter

I'm not sure my tire guy would put on a lower load rated tire.
You think only going above RAWR by 300 lbs would be much of an issue? The transforce are about 700 lbs above.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, here are the specs:

Transforce A/T => 125 (3638), R (106), 33.2" diameter

Destination A/T => 123 (3417), S (112), 32.1" diameter

I'm not sure my tire guy would put on a lower load rated tire.
You think only going above RAWR by 300 lbs would be much of an issue? The transforce are about 700 lbs above.

Specs would be fine but I wouldn't go down a tire size to switch to another Firestone tire. I would look at other sizes that are more comparable first.

OP
OP
S

sugarray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How about a 325/65/18?

1" taller, 2" wider and 13 lbs heavier?

Will this size fit?

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why go that wide? The tires are wide enough as it is stock.

Plus that much wider, if you stay with stock rim will probably rub on the inner wheel wells. You should have a fairly good selection in 18s for replacement, I would think. I went from 20s to 18s since they are much cheaper, and more options.

I went one size taller, and about same width and have a slight rub at full lock without a level kit - just an fyi.

OP
OP
S

sugarray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was just looking on the Firestone website at what sizes were available. I'd really like to get into a set, but doesn't look that way.

I have read and read and read reviews, posts, polls about A/T tires. I would like an A/T tire on this truck, just trying to get good info before purchasing. I am looking at the Goodyear all terrain Adventure, General Grabber A/T2, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 as well. Truck will spend most, 80%, of time on paved roads, but I hunt and live in WV so will see gravel, dirt, snow, ice, and small amounts of mud.

I had Michelin LTX M/S2 on my previous F150 and they are great on road, just would like an A/T on my 2500. The reviews of the Transforce A/Ts are not good at all so I want to swap.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was just looking on the Firestone website at what sizes were available. I'd really like to get into a set, but doesn't look that way.

I have read and read and read reviews, posts, polls about A/T tires. I would like an A/T tire on this truck, just trying to get good info before purchasing. I am looking at the Goodyear all terrain Adventure, General Grabber A/T2, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 as well. Truck will spend most, 80%, of time on paved roads, but I hunt and live in WV so will see gravel, dirt, snow, ice, and small amounts of mud.

I had Michelin LTX M/S2 on my previous F150 and they are great on road, just would like an A/T on my 2500. The reviews of the Transforce A/Ts are not good at all so I want to swap.

General grabber at2, bfg ko2. Those will be good tires in the stock size.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I had a set of C load rated firestone destination a/t on my 1/2 ton with 4.7L and they wore down very fast. I was considering new tires for winter then decided to buy this truck instead but i only got 27,000 miles out of them and probably would have only gotten a few thousand more at most. After the transforce tires i will never purchase another firestone product again.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a set of C load rated firestone destination a/t on my 1/2 ton with 4.7L and they wore down very fast. I was considering new tires for winter then decided to buy this truck instead but i only got 27,000 miles out of them and probably would have only gotten a few thousand more at most. After the transforce tires i will never purchase another firestone product again.

They get good reviews on tire rack so I was considering putting them on my wife's grand cherokee. But these transforce tires made me re-think that so I think I will go with the general grabber at2 on that unless the KO2 comes out in that size for a decent price.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah the ko2s are pricey. We ended up getting some 255/65r17 cooper atr for my dads durango. They are discontinued but we got a great deal on 5 tires...775 bucks installed. He likes them thus far in the snow. He even buried his truck in the snowbank in front of our house like i do and he walked it right out with minimal slippage in awd. Wanted to get him some grabber at2s but they didnt have them in his size unfortunately.

I do have to say i didnt really take good care of the firestone at's. They wore quickly but not unevenly. They probably would have lasted longer if i rotated them more often.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At 19,000 miles my firesrtone transforce tires are almost with out....especially the rear. I wouldn't put these things on my lawn tractor. Awful in snow, ok in rain, and just all around a second rate tire. I'm looking really hard at the cooper a t 3 's because I know several guys that have them and love them. They seem to wear well, great traction and less expensive than the ko2's or some others. Another option is the general grabber 2's. My neighbor has a set on an f250 and absolutely loves them.
Anyway, tirebuyer.com or treadepot.com have good prices on both.