AT Tires for HD... bear with me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok gents, there's a reason I put this in the Heavy Duty sub so mods- please don't move it yet!

I need a set of new ATs that will stand up to the weight of a loaded HD. I have BFG AT KO2 and I like them, but honestly they wore like complete **** on my 2500. I got literally half the mileage out of them that I got on my half tons.

So the hunt is on. You need some information:

1. Deep ugly snow 6 months a year. I live in Saskatchewan! It's like Siberia only with fewer trees.
2. We live on a farm in the middle of nowhere.
3. All of our roads are one step above garbage. Durability is a must.
4. I tow and often load the bed heavy.
5. I am frequently off road and off trail.

I had Duratracs once- was impressed with how they chewed up snow, but less than impressed with their towing manners. Have they changed or improved? What other recommends? Disclaimer- Nittos are out of the question. There's a backstory that requires a ton of typing.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BFGs suck butt on a 2500. Personally I'll never run them on anything I own.

I've had many many years experience with 2500s and CTDs..

The Toyo AT is your best tire. E rated and will last twice as long as those crappy BFGs.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
BFGs suck butt on a 2500. Personally I'll never run them on anything I own.

I've had many many years experience with 2500s and CTDs..

The Toyo AT is your best tire. E rated and will last twice as long as those crappy BFGs.
I'll give those a look. Checked the site and I am intrigued. Wonder how they stand up to gravel? What is the price point compare d to BFG?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Toyo CT or Nitto EXO will give you the 3-ply sidewall(tougher than the AT)and are Winter rated and have provisions for studs.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got stuck twice while plowing last year. This year I'm investing in winter wheels with Firestone Winterforce (Studded) tires. I read a ton of threads and reviews before settling on Winterforce. Some people claim studs are overkill because the tire performs so well on ice/snow but since these will only be my winter skins I'm going to stud them.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The Cooper ST Maxx can also be studded. So far I've been very impressed with them.

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Scheduled to get a new set of Toyo AT II's on my truck this Saturday.
The first set lasted over 90k.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i'd put toyo C T on the list. apparently a friendlier version of the M55 with more sizes. Haven't tried on any and not on a 2500. Reviews seem to be bipolar.

Have the BFG and like them, its a 1500, tire wear has been decent but i've read the stories for the 2500 folks. Performance wise i put them at 80% of the traction of my duratracs and much better at everything pavement related.

Ran duratracs on my jeep. Were great but loud and i rotated 5 tires frequently. Minimal tire wear but aged cracked after 4 years. Would buy again, go anywhere on winter roads and off.

What didn't you like about towing with duratracs?

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What didn't you like about towing with duratracs?

The flex and "grabbiness". The lugs grabbed every rut and pothole and pulled the truck all over the place. That said, it may be specific to the roads I frequent. They are like moguls and this was on a 1500. Haven't tried them on my 2500 yet. May be worth looking into I guess.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The flex and "grabbiness". The lugs grabbed every rut and pothole and pulled the truck all over the place. That said, it may be specific to the roads I frequent. They are like moguls and this was on a 1500. Haven't tried them on my 2500 yet. May be worth looking into I guess.

The duratacs are known to have a very soft sidewall, not exactly what you want when towing. I do like the open country at's but keep in the back of your mind once they hit about 40 to 50% tread they drop off in the snow tremendously.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
LOve my Cooper ST Maxx 295/70/18. It is an aggressive tread for an AT with load capaciities far exceeding the RAWR at about 4075# per tire. They ride great and are quite inexpensive for the tire you get compared to other brands.

IMG_1530.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
BFGs suck butt on a 2500.

The Toyo AT is your best tire.....

Switched from KO2’s to the Toyo AT as recommended by my tire shop..... I’ve been happy. Last set of BFG’s wore down way too fast. Tire shop said they’re getting the same complaints from everyone about them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jettix2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500HD
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to run Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus tires this winter. Not sure how they'll handle the snow but Nokian has an AWESOME reputation for their snow tires, and these are Snowflake rated. So far the wear and performance is good.......

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
I've tried the Goodyear Wranglers Pro-Adventure. Good towing manners and fairly durable, just wore out too quick and traction sucked after 50% tread life. Toyo AT II's seem great for the first 50% of tread life, but after that I didn't like their abilities after that and they're relatively spendy.

I'm now running Hankook Dynapro ATM in stock size. They've taken some abuse and are wearing very well. They have that little 3 peak snow rating also. They were $50 cheaper a tire than the Duratracs so they got the try this time. 17,000 miles on them so far...I'm confident I should easily get 40K or more out of them if I keep them rotated. Quiet tire and don't affect mpg either.