Towed with 3500 -6.4 Hemi.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its pretty crazy how everyone is getting such different numbers. I use an app to track mine so not exactly sure if its 100% correct. How is everyone have calculating theirs? I may give that a try and see what the end result is

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Its pretty crazy how everyone is getting such different numbers. I use an app to track mine so not exactly sure if its 100% correct. How is everyone have calculating theirs? I may give that a try and see what the end result is

Ain't that the truth. I use an app to track my mileage as well and EVIC is generally 1-2 mpg less than actual the times that I record it. In fact, my average difference between EVIC and calculated from the times I have recorded it below is 1.4 mpg off.

The "Fuel Efficiency" column is hand calculated.
Latest mpg.jpg

Last edited:

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here is my latest Fuelly chart. The MPG has gone up for me on average -- aside from the highway driving.

My highway is around 16 ish.

My city is around 11-12 ish. I can do better or worse on either depending on driving habits, terrain and wind.

Speaking of which -- I have noticed two huge variables.

1) Tire Pressure
2) Wind

If I'm at 80 psi all the way around on the factory Firestones AND am not moving into a headwind, I can keep in MDS on flatland pretty well. If that's the case, I can do much better than if I can't.

fuelly_3_17_2017.png

-Guzzler

Squirrel6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What gradw of fuel are yall using? 87 89 91 93? I can tell a different between 87 and 93.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm doing 11.8 city right now with stock tires, fronts set at 60 and rears set at 50. Don't do much highway but when I have I'm in the 16s depending on how inpatient I am. I also have a heavy foot. I'm looking for the review on the afe air box to see if any gains are there. Not hopeful but still curious

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
What gradw of fuel are yall using? 87 89 91 93? I can tell a different between 87 and 93.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I believe my owners manual says 89 is preferred, so that's what i run.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I'm doing 11.8 city right now with stock tires, fronts set at 60 and rears set at 50. Don't do much highway but when I have I'm in the 16s depending on how inpatient I am. I also have a heavy foot. I'm looking for the review on the afe air box to see if any gains are there. Not hopeful but still curious

I don't think you will see an fuel economy improvement with an intake on a gas engine. You may get people that swear up and down that they get better fuel economy, but I have yet to see someone post actual recorded numbers.

Gasoline engines are power regulated by air and add fuel to compensate because they have to stay around a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1. Running too lean will damage a gas engine and being too rich will flood it. Adding more air will cause the engine to add more fuel which is why gasoline turbocharged engines burn a lot of fuel when in boost. You will probably see some performance gains, but not fuel mileage gains.

I think the reason why people think that an intake will make a gas engine more efficient is due to the fact that they make diesel engines more efficient. However, diesels are power regulated by fuel and suck in air to burn the fuel. They also run lean just about all the time and do not have to say around a certain air/fuel ratio. The more air you add, the leaner it gets and the less amount of fuel is needed to make the same power as it would have with less air. This is why turbos and intakes actually make diesels more efficient.

Last edited:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't think you will see an fuel economy improvement with an intake on a gas engine. You may get people that swear up and down that they get better fuel economy, but I have yet to see someone post actual recorded numbers.

Gasoline engines are power regulated by air and add fuel to compensate because they have to stay around a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 because running to lean will damage a gas engine and being too rich will flood it. Adding more air will cause the engine to add more fuel which is why gasoline turbocharged engines burn a lot of fuel when in boost. You will probably see some performance gains, but not fuel mileage gains.

I think the reason why people think that an intake will make a gas engine more efficient is due to the fact that they make diesel engines more efficient. However, diesels are power regulated by fuel and suck in air to burn the fuel and run lean just about all the time. The more air you add, the leaner it gets and the less amount of fuel is needed to make the same power as it would have with less air. This is why turbos actually make diesels more efficient.

Ill disagree to an extent as every Hemi powered vehicle Ive owned, Ive put a piece of garbage K&N intake on and gained mpgs across the board. The power is debatable I know, but if you can make it flow more "freely" there CAN be something to gain. I dont buy into their posted numbers but this is my 4th Hemi powered vehicle, all the others have calculated MPG gains no one can argue with those facts and everything was kept the same, fuel air temps and it was over the time of ownership. However, Id agree the gains may or may not be anything at all, which is why Im waiting to see what the one guys who posted his install says about it. :favorites13:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Ill disagree to an extent as every Hemi powered vehicle Ive owned, Ive put a piece of garbage K&N intake on and gained mpgs across the board. The power is debatable I know, but if you can make it flow more "freely" there CAN be something to gain. I dont buy into their posted numbers but this is my 4th Hemi powered vehicle, all the others have calculated MPG gains no one can argue with those facts and everything was kept the same, fuel air temps and it was over the time of ownership. However, Id agree the gains may or may not be anything at all, which is why Im waiting to see what the one guys who posted his install says about it. :favorites13:

With a gas engine, more air means more fuel, period.

If you added more air without adding more fuel then you will run lean (15.0:1+) and have the potential to damage your engine and 3-way catalytic converter unless your engine was designed to run lean like the old Toyota lean-burn engines. This is why older vehicles without wide band MAF or MAP sensors would throw cylinder lean codes with certain intakes. The sensor will read how much and how dense the air is coming in which will determine how much fuel to add. However, these sensors could only read up to a certain amount(a narrow band) and if the intake pushed more air than the sensor could read then the engine would run lean causing damage.

If you had a fuel mileage increase, then your vehicle was probably had a narrow band MAF or MAP sensor and was running lean causing potential damage and reduced engine and catalyst life which is not good. Nowadays, we have wide band MAF and MAP sensors which read a wider band of flow and pressures so it will pick up the added air from the intake and just dump more fuel to stay around 14.7:1.

The only time the more "freely" comes into play to reduce fuel consumption is with exhaust. A free flowing exhaust does not have to waste power and fuel to overcome the back-pressure of a less free flowing exhaust. This should not be confused with exhaust pipe diameter sizes increasing/decreasing torque at certain rpms through scavenging.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All were tuned via canned tunes from diablo before the intakes were added and same with my current 6.4 so I'm sure that played a role. But, my numbers, wallet and mileage isn't made up, you CAN get better mpg on a gas engine with an intake under the right set up.

Should stop here and stop clogging thread with this discussion.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
All were tuned via canned tunes from diablo before the intakes were added and same with my current 6.4 so I'm sure that played a role. But, my numbers, wallet and mileage isn't made up, you CAN get better mpg on a gas engine with an intake under the right set up.

Should stop here and stop clogging thread with this discussion.

Agreed on the clogging, but I will believe it when I see the hard numbers like the spreadsheet that I posted above of consistent mileage before and after an intake. Until then, my experience working for various engine and vehicle manufacturers tell me otherwise.

Custom tuning and altering fuel maps has different effects since it alters ignition and valve timing.

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know that I'll get hammered on this but I have to say in my experience on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine, CAI units are good for sound and looks and not much more.

I have a Fiat 500 Turbo and that's another ballgame. There are tuners out there who can dump fuel and generate boost that far exceeds the factory spec. The factory intake is designed to quiet the turbo sounds and is quite restrictive. Tuning + a good CAI in that scenario really helps and makes a difference. Dyno proven.

But I think CAI's on naturally aspirated gasoline engines are a scam if anything more than sound and looks are promised.

-Guzzler

Last edited:

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would take that fuel mileage any day than deal with all the emission problems with the new diesels.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I know that I'll get hammered on this but I have to say in my experience on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine, CAI units are good for sound and looks and not much more.

I have a Fiat 500 Turbo and that's another ballgame. There are tuners out there who can dump fuel and generate boost that far exceeds the factory spec. The factory intake is designed to quiet the turbo sounds and is quite restrictive. Tuning + a good CAI in that scenario really helps and makes a difference. Dyno proven.

But I think CAI's on naturally aspirated gasoline engines are a scam if anything more than sound and looks are promised.

-Guzzler

I 100% agree. Intakes alone on an N/A gasoline engine do very little if anything at all other than hearing cool engine sounds. On FI engines, intakes plus tuning that is mapped to take advantage of the added incoming air will be were the benefits of a CAI will come in.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I would take that fuel mileage any day than deal with all the emission problems with the new diesels.

The only diesel emission problems I have is them taking up space on my shop floor. :naughty:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't want to jam up this thread with CAI discussions or Hot air intake discussions but I think people who buy have to great if expectations. If paired correctly, like with tuner and exhaust, there is something to be gained. It's not a lot for the money and whoever says otherwise is in fairy land. But I have seen mpg increases when paired with a tuner, should have mentioned that before. Note all installs came after a tuner so it wasn't measured at same time. People expect to lose a second in 1/4 or something with an intake which simply isn't possible. The gains aren't measurable. A lot of the numbers floating around are gimmicks. It's all about being realistic. If I can gain .5 mpg city driving and a slight bump in noise and throttle response, that's satisfactory for me but I understand it's not for others.....

96043d31d3db6aab53af9ff3ce325551.jpg