Towing travel trailer question (need help please)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Completely different setup on the 2500 with the coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoops....yep forgot about that...

However...if the tow rating on the 2500 is 19k plus...he is still WAY below the rating...Not that the hemi is a bad choice, the diesel is still the better choice at his stated trailer weight...

Better power, better economy (esp. on biofuel) and better longevity...This is OEM stock...not even talking tuned yet which is a whole 'nuther beast..

He will more than recoup the extra cost up front over the life of ownership and might have to plan fuel stops a little better (at least in US) but that's no biggie. Not to mention the diesel has a much better resale..

Good luck OP! Let us know which way you went...

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azeemtn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went 2500 4x4 MegaCab 6.4 Hemi. Probably the best choice for me. So far 7K miles, and no towing, just a lot of Home Depot trips, so it's been perfect for that. The TT's I'm looking at max out at around 10K pounds, so I think for the towing I'm going to be doing (probably 10 - 15 days a year), this is a good choice for me. I got a good price on the truck, and am not the type that keeps cars forever as my longest was a '99 540i I kept for 8 years. Aside from that, everything is usually around 3 years or less. However, so far, I see no need to get rid of this truck. Now my only concerns are how much gas mileage will I lose going to 35' or 37' tires. I'm getting almost 17 right now (I do 90% highway), and like it. Not sure how thrilled I'm going to be with 12 mpg.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My MPG on the tuned diesel goes from about 23 mpg down 12-15 while towing on OEM tires....

On 35's or bigger and towing trailer you'll be lucky to see 9mpg I bet....

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I tow a Jay Flight 32BHDS with my 6.7 on 37" tires. Running 65 MPH I get an indicated 9 mpg, but my speedometer is off due to the tires so my displayed mpg's are even less accurate than normal. Trailer weight is probably around 8500 lbs and last trip I had the bed loaded down with coolers, cinder blocks, bikes, a grill and more. No problem towing it at all.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
He will more than recoup the extra cost up front over the life of ownership and might have to plan fuel stops a little better (at least in US) but that's no biggie. Not to mention the diesel has a much better resale..

Speaking of planning fuel stops. You can't just pull into any gas station towing ~34 ft of 11"4' trailer. On my last trip, I couldn't fill up until the 3rd gas station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Towed my 6500-7K travel trailer this weekend about 90-100 miles round trip with another 300-400 lbs in the bed. Tried to keep it under 55mph (hard to do) since I only had 650 miles on it and EVIC said 9.2mpg. I was timid with acceleration & wasn't winning any races, but barely knew the trailer was even there.

I locked out 6th gear with the +/- button and Used Tow/Haul. The truck seems to love 4th gear under 60mph towing. Also it would completely skip 3rd and downshift to 2nd on the hills at that low speed. Guessing the RPM's were too low @ 50mph in 4th so it jumped down to 2nd rather than 3rd.

Got a longer trip in a couple weeks with much bigger hills and more gear to take so we'll see how that goes. I'll be over 1000 on the odometer then so will push a little harder that trip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo