Track Bar play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello all,
I had installed an adjustable track bar from carli for my 2500 after I got the truck leveled a while back.

When I jerk the steering wheel left/right, i notice a little clunk. When I went under the truck, the track bar has alittle play. when i had someone jerk the steering wheel, the treaded end of the track has a play. I attempted to tighten the bolts along with the lock nut. all is tight.

Is the play normal or should it be solid.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Have you torqued all the bolts up to proper spec? Track bar bolts need to be very tight. 200 ft-lbs is the stock torque spec. If you don't have it torqued right up it will move around slightly. And no, it shouldn't; it should be solid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've tighten it by hand with an 18" breaker bar. I don't think it's tight enough, especially 200lbs with very little room to work with. I'm going to buy an impact wrench tonight...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You should put a torque wrench on it. A lot of auto part stores rent or loan out tools.
With an impact wrench, it's possible to damage and or break stuff by overtightening. It is entirely possible to strech fasteners and they not break until your driving down the road.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Definitely don't use an impact gun. You have no idea what you're torquing it do with that. As crash68 said, you need to get a torque wrench and actually get it up to spec and know it's right. A track bar is not something you want to be compromising on. If that comes apart or breaks from being too loose or tight you'll lose total control of the truck.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's a pretty good price. Just remember to unscrew it to "0" when you are done torquing the bolts. Otherwise the tool will take a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Price
2012 Goldwing
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummings
2016 Denali 389RK

We were taught at Boeing to never take a took wrench to 0, but down to 20% of Max torque

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Alright, the bolts were tight enough. It was the lock nut that loose. I moved the tie rod out of the way and was able tighten the lock nut. Unfortunately, the lock nut is a stripped. Don't ask why. I was able to get nice and tight. Now it's rod solid.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We were taught at Boeing to never take a took wrench to 0, but down to 20% of Max torque
I'm more curious as to why would have a clicker type torque wrench to begin with. They are pretty much the most inaccurate torque wrenches out there.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm more curious as to why would have a clicker type torque wrench to begin with. They are pretty much the most inaccurate torque wrenches out there.

i WOULD BE INTERESTED IN ANOTHER OPTION THAT YOU MAY KNOW OF. AS LONG AS ITS NOT OVERLY EXPENSIVE.

Pricejh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I was taught, in Tech School (about 45 years ago) that the clickers were more accurate than the pointer type. We could dial in the torque we needed. The pointers could be bent. And, you had a hard time differentiation between 50 ft-Lb and 60 on the manual scales.

John Price
2012 Goldwing
2016 Denali 389RK

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i WOULD BE INTERESTED IN ANOTHER OPTION THAT YOU MAY KNOW OF. AS LONG AS ITS NOT OVERLY EXPENSIVE.
Dear God... No need to yell. Answer below.

I was taught, in Tech School (about 45 years ago) that the clickers were more accurate than the pointer type. We could dial in the torque we needed. The pointers could be bent. And, you had a hard time differentiation between 50 ft-Lb and 60 on the manual scales.

John Price
2012 Goldwing
2016 Denali 389RK

This is very true. They are more accurate than the beam type. However they are not as accurate as the dial type or the new electronic type. At work (the company that makes the axles in your truck) we only have one clicker torque wrench and I've never seen anyone use it. We have all dial type and 5 or the new snap on electronic torque wrench.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Pricejh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is very true. They are more accurate than the beam type. However they are not as accurate as the dial type or the new electronic type. At work (the company that makes the axles in your truck) we only have one clicker torque wrench and I've never seen anyone use it. We have all dial type and 5 or the new snap on electronic torque wrench.

The digitalis would be nice. Never got to use one though. I retired before they were introduced. As a hobbiest, it just doesn't pencil out to spend that kind of bucks.

John Price
2012 Goldwing
2016 Denali 389RK

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having the same issue but my track bar is stock. Haven't got under there to verify that's what it is, but I'm guessing

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

What is more accurate, a clicker type torque wrench or a 18" breaker bar?