Traction control-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So a couple months ago we were tearing down a dirt road- Went to drift a corner at about 70mph- went to put my foot in it half way through the turn to power out of the corner and my truck just fell flat on its face.. Today was driving in some snow had continual low speed tire spin.. I could feel and hear the traction control cutting fuel by the motor bogging - again pissed me off-
I take it the only way around it is a Tuner?

2014 Ram 250@ 6.4

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That or the button that turns the traction control off. Or does that not work above a certain speed. Never used mine much.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Turn the traction control off? I had that happen in the snow/ice. Power kept cutting off, slow tire spin. Turned the traction control off and it would red line.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am 80% sure I triggers the tcs button.. Maybe I didn't - but that damn thing .. Daughter had to pee on a trip once ... Saw a turn out with - 2 foot snow berm and 2 feet of snow in the lot- So I went for it- And again the damn tcs just threw the truck on its face.. It's annoying.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can't fully turn off the TCS. Push and hold the TCS button for 10 seconds in 4x4Hi and it will reduce the TCS (it says it's off but it's not). The only way to disable the TCS is by pulling the ABS fuse. F6 if you're so inclined.

Reactions: U&A

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
After a lot of research and trials here's what I did.

Turning Traction Control off and on:

F26 (30 amp - Antilock Brakes - Stability Control Module - Valves) is the fuse to pull.

Or, complete this mod and turn it off and on, on the fly:
Wire in a 30amp fuse from F26 socket to a NC (normally closed) 30amp relay.
Wire in a dash on/off switch to control the relay. *
You know when it is off because the EVIC displays "Service ESC" and "Service ABS"

* Optionally I used a remote controlled wireless switch to control the relay and linked it to a HomeLink (garage door) button.
This saves the trouble of pulling wires into the cab and installing a switch.

F76 fuse (10 amp - Antilock Brakes - Electronic Stability Control) - DO NOT PULL THIS ONE!
EVIC displays "Service ESC" and yellow engine (MIL) light.

F06 (40 amp - Antilock Brakes - Electronic Stability Control Pump) - DO NOT PULL THIS ONE
Leaves error codes that have to be cleared.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Traction Control System (TCS)

The TCS monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s), and engine power is reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS functions similarly to a limited-slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active even if TCS and ESC are in the “Partial Off” mode. This brake pressure modulation transfers drive torque from slipping to non-slipping wheels to provide optimal forward traction.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

The ESC system enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for oversteering or understeering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path. ESC uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the vehicle path intended by the driver and compares it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path does not match the intended path, ESC applies the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or
understeer condition.
• Oversteer - when the vehicle is turning more than appropriate for the steering wheel position.
• Understeer - when the vehicle is turning less than appropriate for the steering wheel position.

All Ram Two-Wheel Drive Vehicles And Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles In 2WD, 4WD AUTO, Or 4WD LOCK Modes Can Choose The following ESC Operating Modes:

ESC On
This is the normal operating mode for ESC in 2WD/4WD AUTO/4WD LOCK modes and in 2WD vehicles. This mode should be used for almost all driving situations. ESC should only be turned to “Partial Off” or “ESC Off” for specific reasons as noted below.

ESC Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the “ESC Off” switch. When in Partial Off mode, the TCS portion of ESC, except for he “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the "ESC Off Indicator Light" will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESC function normally. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than TCS would normally allow is required to gain traction. To turn ESC on again, momentarily press the “ESC Off” switch. This will restore the normal “ESC On” mode of operation.

This Is the ESC operating mode in 4WD LOW:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Sorry, the above isn't complete --
Here is the most important part - Note you have to be stopped and in 4WD low to turn traction Control off.
The above mod allows you to turn it off or on while on the fly and there are no 40mph or 30 mph aspect mentioned below.

This Is the ESC operating mode in 4WD LOW:

ESC Full Off
This mode is intended for off-road use when ESC stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by pressing and holding the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STOPPED and the engine is running. After five seconds, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate and the “ESC Off” message will appear in the odometer. ESC and TCS except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode. When the vehicle speed drops below 35 mph (56 km/h) the system returns to Full Off mode. To turn ESC on again, momentarily press the “ESC Off” switch.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
John has it spot on. My only addition to his comments are that my truck does not store codes when I pull F06. Also, if you have push button start and pull F26 (or install relay/switch) you will have to push the start button three times to start the truck.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
John has it spot on. My only addition to his comments are that my truck does not store codes when I pull F06. Also, if you have push button start and pull F26 (or install relay/switch) you will have to push the start button three times to start the truck.

Reloaderguy,

The differences may be I'm dealing with a 2016 1500 Ecodiesel and you have I believe a big boy Cummings. My mod works perfectly. if I pull and reinstall F06 it throws a code and F26 starts normally but I don't have push button start. Lesson learned is anyone planning to play be sure of their fuse functions, etc.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Reloaderguy,

The differences may be I'm dealing with a 2016 1500 Ecodiesel and you have I believe a big boy Cummings. My mod works perfectly. if I pull and reinstall F06 it throws a code and F26 starts normally but I don't have push button start. Lesson learned is anyone planning to play be sure of their fuse functions, etc.

I have a Laramie Power Wagon with a 6.4L Hemi. I assume there are differences between all engines, models, trim levels, and individual options. Also, when I pull F26 the red "BRAKE" indicator comes on. When I put the fuse back in all is normal. Additionally, if you wire a relay into F26 you only have to buy a 40/30 or 50/30 relay whereas if you wire the F06 circuit you need a minimum 40A NC relay.

Also to clarify, with F26 pulled, on start up you have to toggle the start button three times with your foot on the brake. ON>ACC>RUN then the truck starts.

Thanks for your input John, that is very valuable information for anyone considering offroad use with their truck.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Makes me wonder if your F06 is same as my F26. When I pull F26 the EVIC dislpays "Service ESC" and "Service ABS". When I plug F26 back in the EVIC goes normal. What does your EVIC say when you pull your F06?

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Makes me wonder if your F06 is same as my F26. When I pull F26 the EVIC dislpays "Service ESC" and "Service ABS". When I plug F26 back in the EVIC goes normal. What does your EVIC say when you pull your F06?

Mine says the same, then the TCS, ABS, and BRAKE indicators stay lit.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Reloaderguy,

My answers and picture to your PMs are not going through to you. Please use email to correspond privately, I know that will work

[email protected]

Last edited: