train horns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Question being thrown out there. Has anyone with 2500/3500 with OEM air bags used the on board compressor/air tank to install train horns. Was wondering if it was possible to tap off of the air line somehow....

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
Like said above. It's a closed system. There is not a compressor. Air is stored and sent to the air bags when needed and when not sent back to the system for reuse later. If you were able to find a way to tap into the air supply you get one blow of the horn then back to the dealer to have it refilled.

That is my understanding on how the system works. Could be wrong but should be close enough in knowing you couldn't use it for air horns.

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I saw a small compressor underneath the passenger side rear door while I was installing my amp boards. If it wasn't so freaking cold out, I would go look again..

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Question being thrown out there. Has anyone with 2500/3500 with OEM air bags used the on board compressor/air tank to install train horns. Was wondering if it was possible to tap off of the air line somehow....

My neighbor had air horns on his Ram. He was involved in so many road rage incidents he took them off. Seems he would use them instead of his stock horn and people would go crazy.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ram air ride system is also nitrogen, at least on the 1500's not totally sure about the 2500 and up

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I saw a small compressor underneath the passenger side rear door while I was installing my amp boards. If it wasn't so freaking cold out, I would go look again..

It has a compressor and is a closed system.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nitro

The ram air ride system is also nitrogen, at least on the 1500's not totally sure about the 2500 and up

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Only real diff in nitrogen and normal air is the size of the molecules..

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

The reason they would use nitrogen in this type of system would be to eliminate moisture. No frozen/corroded valves, etc, more dependable system.

Normal air is already 78% nitrogen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
um no..
Air is compromised of 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, 1% of Argon, Carbon Dioxide and other gases. Also there is a varying amount of moisture (water vapor).... Nitrogen is just nitrogen, nothing else.

Nitrogen is used in the closed loop air suspension system to eliminate the possibility of contamination and moisture being introduced into the system.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Some of you are partially right. Some of you are completely wrong. This is an open system. If it were not, you would never be able to adjust the system pressure. There is a reservoir which is initially charged with 175 psig of N2. From there, the compressor introduces up to 220 psig of compressed atmospheric gas as needed. Over time, all of that N2 will be replaced by atmospheric gas, although there is a desiccant integrated to aid in drying of the compressed air.

If all system pressure is lost, it must be recharged with N2 manually. Aside from the fact that N2 is free from moisture, this is a safety feature as well as a diagnostic aid. The computer will not allow the compressor to run if that N2 precharge is not there, because it knows there is a leak in the system and the compressor would just run and eventually burn up trying to replenish the reservoir.

There is a manifold or "valve block" between the reservoir and the components which houses solenoids and isolates each component (downstream of the reservoir and manifold) so that if one component leaks, it will not deplete the entire system of pressure, but will let you know there is a problem by throwing a code. There are pressure sensors (as well as level/height sensors) on each component and the computer continually monitors and compares all of them for mismatches, much like speed sensors or any other integrated system sensors.

Here is a small quote from the manual:

"OPERATION

The air suspension system is an open system. The air suspension reservoir stores a specified volume of pressurized air for use when the air suspension system needs to raise the vehicle height. If a single component is damaged, the reservoir will hold any pressure left in the component. A scan tool is used to evacuate the component. After repair or replacement of the component, a scan tool can be used to refill the component from the reservoir.

The compressor cannot refill the reservoir and complete system if all pressure is exhausted, as in a compressor assembly or valve block replacement. The system will need to be filled at the reservoir with nitrogen. For complete filling of the air suspension system after a repair See: Suspension Control ( Automatic - Electronic )\Service and Repair\Rear Suspension - Complete System Fill. "

Last edited: