Transmission Downshifting issue???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I towed my sons utility trailer the other day and was a bit surprised.
It has the ramp type trail gate that acts like a big billboard being towed....big wind drag. Anyway, every time I came to a hill, the transmission would downshift from 6th directly to 4th, and then up shift almost immediately to 5th. Kind of irritating, but it this normal???

Seems like it should only drop one gear at a time.....

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What tranny? Tow/haul mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You weren't in tow/haul if it was in 6th.

I have the problem sometimes on mine unloaded. A little throttle input, and it goes from 6th to 4th, and sometimes breaks the tires loose. It's scary on the highway. I suspect it's the transmission trying to protect itself. 5th is an overdrive gear, just not as steep as 6th.

Put it in tow/haul, or manually work the transmission.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
what were the rpms when in 4th? are you giving more throttle also when getting the hill? How many miles on your truck?

I think I encountered this when my truck was new, but the transmission either learned shift points, or my driving style changed to more constant throttle. If lots of hills, I usually gear limit to 4th anyway to keep it in the power band.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback.....
I never even thought about putting it it tow haul mode....silly me. I am sure that would have made it better.....ugh!!!

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
That is normal although, I wouldn't say "good". Word of caution, be wary of the downshift when getting into 3rd at about 50 mph. If you attempt to throttle too hard, you will get a downshift. And I don't mean from 3rd to second. Third to first and will hit lock up at 6k or better. Had it happen "once" to me. Truth, at 50 mph, will turn the tires with a 5th wheel 13k toyhauler behind. Pulled so hard that it broke paneling screws in the front of 5'er. Until that happens, you have no idea the power that 6.4 can put out. "Will make your blood run cold!!!

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
That is normal although, I wouldn't say "good". Word of caution, be wary of the downshift when getting into 3rd at about 50 mph. If you attempt to throttle too hard, you will get a downshift. And I don't mean from 3rd to second. Third to first and will hit lock up at 6k or better. Had it happen "once" to me. Truth, at 50 mph, will turn the tires with a 5th wheel 13k toyhauler behind. Pulled so hard that it broke paneling screws in the front of 5'er. Until that happens, you have no idea the power that 6.4 can put out. "Will make your blood run cold!!!

Done it a couple times getting on the freeway around an idiot on the ramp. Kicked the reared out. Scary as hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk