Transmission learning curve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Last week the truck went in for a possible coolant leak. They went ahead and flashed the transmission with an update (which is nice to know they watch for) and now it drives like a complete *************. Slowing down the downshifts are abrupt and coasting down hill sometimes it will shift down to hold speed- never used to. Feels like tow/haul is on all the time.

I was told it's still "learning" and it will get better. How long have you guys had this learning curve? It's been a week now with a few hundred kms.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've never been back to the dealer for this fear exactly. Having said that, my truck down shifts to hold speed going down hill but other than that, no harsh downshifts during deceleration.

If the learning period is the same as when you leave the battery disconnected for a while, I'd imagine you've waited long enough for things to improve. But maybe give it another week for good measure before you go back to the stealer.

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could not believe the difference in shifting over 1500 mi. Went from not towing to all towing tho. At first I didn't believe that leaning curve propaganda,but seems there's something to it

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I could not believe the difference in shifting over 1500 mi. Went from not towing to all towing tho. At first I didn't believe that leaning curve propaganda,but seems there's something to it

I'd agree. During the summer when I do a lot of towing or longer trips with trailer in tow. The truck seems to drive better unloaded. Might be all in my head from just the lack of a loaded truck but sure seems that way to me too.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
I'd agree. During the summer when I do a lot of towing or longer trips with trailer in tow. The truck seems to drive better unloaded. Might be all in my head from just the lack of a loaded truck but sure seems that way to me too.

X2....I really like the feeling of the truck after towing.