Transmission Problem CODE P0750

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpsfj60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 HD
Engine
Hi everyone, Pulled out of work and truck makes a clunk which was it shifting
in 4th gear manual shift mode. Truck would not go out of that mode nor would
it allow me to use the buttons on the gear shifter handle. Had to restart truck and started to drive home again. I thought maybe i hit one of those buttons by
accident but that wasn't the case.
Now i am on the highway with the cruise control set and I hear that same loud
clunk and it downshifts itself into 4th gear manual shift mode again and would not go out of that mode until I turned off the truck and restarted it. Now i made it a couple of more miles until it did it again. Now it does it all the time when on the highway or just coasting on a back road.

Code is P0750 which is the Shifter solenoid. Truck doesn't even have 5000
miles on it yet and they got to replace this part. I think damage has already
been done by how many times it has made this loud hard clunk and gone into
4th gear manual shift mode.

I drop it off at the dealership today. The dealership that i bought it from
couldn't even get me in till this Thurs. Went to this other one and they said
this isn't good and got me in today after work and giving me a rental car.

Anyone out there with a 6.4 2500HD having any issues like this or heard
of any problems like this. Any info would be great. Thanks John

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Haven't heard a lot about this issue specifically so I'm not sure if it's a recurring problem for these trucks or not. My 6-speed, in manual or full auto, has been flawless. I did have the engine replaced though. Stuff happens, ya know?

You might ask the service manager if there are any open TSB's or Response Bulletins for this on your truck, just so you know. The tech should be checking for those first thing, then go from there.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The tranny in my 6.4 blew completely at 38K miles and had to be totally rebuilt. It sound different then what yours is doing though. Mine went quickly when sitting traffic and accelerating from a near stop when starting to move.

Even after the rebuild it doesn't seem perfect. I recently got a really nasty "shudder" when coasting around a corner and heading into a steep hill. It's like it didn't know which gear to lock into. Part of me would actually be excited if the thing just blew up again. Maybe I'd get a new one instead of a rebuild.

When mine did blow it was roached and I had to drive it about a mile to get out of traffic and the tach was revving like crazy and I was barely moving. I didn't get a CEL until I came to a stop at the end of the freeway off ramp. I reminded me of the "dummy lights" on older cars. The overheating light would go on at about the same time steam started pouring from under the hood.

I have a lifetime Maxcare warranty but have to say I wouldn't have much interest owning my truck w/o a warranty of some type. I suppose without the previous problems I've had I wouldn't be so worried.

OP
OP
J

jpsfj60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 HD
Engine
Well I think this problem is total ********. I already had a bad 2016 Tacoma that
I traded for this Ram this year!!
O well, Chevy dealership here I come..

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Well I think this problem is total ********. I already had a bad 2016 Tacoma that

Something tells me if a windshield wiper blade insert fell apart, you would be running to trade the vehicle in.

Must be swimming in money to be trading in and buying 3 new vehicles in the same model year. Also, if you think Chebby's are not immune to being turds, you better start planning on your 4th vehicle purchase now.

OP
OP
J

jpsfj60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 HD
Engine
Transmission problems this early in ownership is not acceptable in my book!!!
The 16 Tacoma came from the factory low 3/4 of a quart of Tranny fluid and then tranny
started doing its thing with shifting. Sort of like what my new 2500HD is doing.
We shall see how they fix my problem. Truck is at dealership now and will be there for
over a week maybe more.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Transmission problems this early in ownership is not acceptable in my book!!!
The 16 Tacoma came from the factory low 3/4 of a quart of Tranny fluid and then tranny
started doing its thing with shifting. Sort of like what my new 2500HD is doing.
We shall see how they fix my problem. Truck is at dealership now and will be there for
over a week maybe more.

There's a good chance your RAM came from the factory low 1 qt also.....mine did...Glad I did my own P.D.I.

Like hootbro said...shyt happens and mechanical things fail...I spun a rod bearing on a new 02 Silverado 3500 that was 3 days old with 135 miles...Dealer gave me a choice...new motor or new truck...Took the truck option...

OP
OP
J

jpsfj60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 HD
Engine
Well back to the dealer for the 2nd time for the same problem. This code
is going to ruin my transmission cause they can't figure out what is causing the
truck to go into limp mode and then throw the check engine light on.
Should I have my transmission re flashed so it can relearn my driving style??

Going to call corporate tonight and ask for new tranny or tell them to come pick this ************* up.

OP
OP
J

jpsfj60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 HD
Engine
Has ANYONE on here experienced this problem with a new 16 2500HD 6.4????

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I agree with you. They have been building these trucks for quite awhile now and they should be perfected. We aren't talking about a loose screw here and there, not a minor miss-fitted body part. A major component failure and the fact they couldn't repair it properly is what drives people away from any brand. Many on this site make excuses for ******** like this but in the end there in NO excuse for the lack of quality control and **** poor engineering. Many will also tell us that this is common across all brand lines. That may be but it is still no excuse.

Sincerely;
8 recalls and counting

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I think the OP just got a trans that was on the wrong side of the bell curve. It is going to happen and is just a part of the mass production process of manufacturing. You just hope all the components on your vehicle are on the good side of the bell curve. Some manufactures have a more stringent bell curve than others which is why you usually pay more for their products. However, if an issue like this gets past the quality control, then the dealer should fix it. If they can't, then they should get Ram involved.

OP
OP
J

jpsfj60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 HD
Engine
Called dealership today at lunch for an update on my truck. Service guy said that
my truck thru several codes this time as it went into 4th gear limp mode. I asked what
they were doing to fix or figure this out. He told me they did not know what was going
on with this truck and that it was just sitting there.

I called Ram and a good PA Lemon Law Lawyer!! I am really ****** pissed now!! Don't care if they do figure this problem out cause they are keeping this truck. This is a wring
computer problem or TCM problem and they don't know what to do or where to start.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Several codes? The only time that happens to our new trucks on the lot is when they get struck by lightning or at the ground near the truck. In every case it is a pain in the ass because once you fix one sensor or issue, then another pops up. I always recommend my customers to try and have their trucks hit by lightning just written off with their insurance because in just about every case they spent thousands of dollars in repairs and the truck never really got fixed even years later. Not saying this is the case here, but that many codes and it erratically popping up like it is sure sounds like it.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Called dealership today at lunch for an update on my truck. Service guy said that
my truck thru several codes this time as it went into 4th gear limp mode. I asked what
they were doing to fix or figure this out. He told me they did not know what was going

I called Ram and a good PA Lemon Law Lawyer!! I am really ****** pissed now!! Don't care if they do figure this problem out cause they are keeping this truck. This is a wring
computer problem or TCM problem and they don't know what to do or where to start.

What codes did it throw? I would work directly with FCA before getting a lawyer. I've heard the LL process is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes you can just get the manufacture to "buy back" the vehicle without all the legal BS. That's what I've seen happen anyway....

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Lemon Law varies by state but in most cases is a pretty high bar to meet. From what is being described I think it is not even close but check out your state to be sure.

New vehicles are complex and have problems. It's a fact of life that all the frustration and threatening lawsuits in the world won't change. I think you're much more likely to get a remedy by trying to work with them. When my tranny went I tried to keep a good attitude and was super happy with my treatment from the service writer and mechanic.

I know with my business I'll do anything for reasonable people but when someone is cranky I have no problem telling them to get lost. Hang in there and be patient. They'll get it taken care of. Once it's all done you can evaluate and decide if you want to keep the truck. You've got lots of warranty left.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

You got a right to be pissed but take a breather and cool your jets. You are no where near making them keeping this truck if this is your first time letting them tackle the problem.

OP
OP
J

jpsfj60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 HD
Engine
Still at the dealership 15 days later. They said there was a FSB that
describes what my truck was doing. They then told me that they had to flash
5 different things for that FSB to be fixed???
They still don't think its fixed but its not throwing anymore codes.
What a nightmare!!!!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Still at the dealership 15 days later. They said there was a FSB that
describes what my truck was doing. They then told me that they had to flash
5 different things for that FSB to be fixed???
They still don't think its fixed but its not throwing anymore codes.
What a nightmare!!!!

I could be wrong on this, but I think they meant TSB as in Technical Service Bulletin.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When my tranny blew and was rebuilt they called and told me the tech put it back together and when he was test driving it, it lost 5th and 6th gear. Two days later I got a call that it was all done and just needed some fine tuning to fix the 5th/6th gear problem. I'm not sure why they called me to tell me that they were still screwing with it. My point is sometimes it's darkest before dawn as the saying goes.

My biggest problem now is I over analyze every little thing I think I feel with the tranny thinking something is going wrong. They'll get it back together and then you'll have lots of time of drive it and decide what to do. You're in a good spot over me in that you have 55K of powertrain warranty left and I have about 15K. Personally, I have the lifetime Maxcare but it's non-transferable so in terms of resale I only have the 15K engine/tranny and zero bumper to bumper. Basically, my truck is worth more to me than anyone else.