Tuner issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok, so I asked this in the 6.4 thread and a few people responded but I have kind of further refined my issue.
Pretty much driving down any road if you floor it and let it downshift a few times and let off the throttle will stay wide open, it has progressively gotten worse to the point where this morning it held for a full 5 seconds and almost caused me to rear end someone merging onto the expressway.
The trick is air temperature, it had to be below about 35 degrees and the colder it was the worse it acted up.
After my almost accident I got out my tuner and went back to stock and on the rest of the way home it had zero issues, so my problem is with the tune (hemifever 87 tune).
Can anyone else simulate those conditions and see if it acts up? I am going to email Sean to see what the issue is, but I'm at a loss here. It didn't act up last year at all and suddenly this year when it gets cold I have a problem?
The easiest for me to replicate it is really anything above 50 mph, put it to the floor and let it downshift to 2nd or 3rd, in anything under 30 degrees it would stick every single time.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is your TB icing up or do you have a dirty TB????

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i had the same issue with my tuner. I never went thru the process of elimination to determine if it was a particular tune or just an anomaly.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i had the same issue with my tuner. I never went thru the process of elimination to determine if it was a particular tune or just an anomaly.
So do you still have the issue or did you get rid of the tuner? What tune did you run?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was running an 87 octane Hemifever tune when the same issue as yours arose. I quit running tunes after beta testing the is2 bricked my pcm.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My 6.4 is bone stock, and I have had that happen at least 2-3 times. The throttle only stayed wide open for about a second, but it was still an ass-puckering experience. I never paid attention to the air temps though.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 6.4 is bone stock, and I have had that happen at least 2-3 times. The throttle only stayed wide open for about a second, but it was still an ass-puckering experience. I never paid attention to the air temps though.
Stop blowing holes in my theory!

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This isn't exactly a great endorsement for the tunes........just sayin.....
The trick is figuring out if it is an issue with the base tune from diablosport or if it is part of the hemifever tune.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
9 chances out of 10, it's in the tune.....Datalog for your tuner and try to replicate it. The log will show him what he needs.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
9 chances out of 10, it's in the tune.....Datalog for your tuner and try to replicate it. The log will show him what he needs.
That was my plan... But I wanted to see what he says first, since it requires me to put the tune back on it to do a data log of the issue.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Seems like the throttle positioning sensor (if we have one....I'm used to Ford diesel tuning) is having something wonky happen when you lift off the pedal.......

The fact that returning it to the "stock" tune remedied it, or at least you haven't been able to replicate it suggests any and all sensors are fine but the devil is in the code.

Not that you need anyone to tell you this but......I wouldn't do any testing unless it was a straight empty road or lot with a lit of time to recover should the issue show up.

That is a scary problem to have. Good luck my friend......very curious to see how this ends up.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
My HemiFever tune was doing weird things to my 6.4 and he seemed less then happy to help me. It seemed like he did one 6.4 tune and just uses it over and over again. I base this on his saying (and I paraphrase) "I have a ton of other trucks using that exact tune and they're not having that problem." Moral of the story, I dumped HemiFever tunes and started working with charged392 on The Hemi Truck Club forum.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont have any after market tunes on my trinity...I do see a few issues pop up on my trinity and on my dash..Usually an issue with anti lock and trl brake...It comes and goes and i also had a 4 wd over head issue and i not used the 4wd sence last year and i was parked and drying off my truck from a wash...Sence then i just unplugged my tuner but left tune inand no issues yet..
I emailed diablo to set it up for a relearn but it hasnt done anything sence.....

Possible software glitch in the diablo tuner..Mine is the 5.7..

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
My HemiFever tune was doing weird things to my 6.4 and he seemed less then happy to help me. It seemed like he did one 6.4 tune and just uses it over and over again. I base this on his saying (and I paraphrase) "I have a ton of other trucks using that exact tune and they're not having that problem." Moral of the story, I dumped HemiFever tunes and started working with charged392 on The Hemi Truck Club forum.

So it sounds like he just has one "custom" tune he sends to everyone? Is that even after you send him a datalog?

I personally use Jerseyboy tuning, as do alot of other jeep srt8 guys. He knows his stuff when it comes to tuning the modern hemi. Some LX guys use him also.
Other names to consider also is AJ Berge (Hemituner). Johan Mangs, he used to work for Diablosport. Josh from HHP (High Horse Performance). Mike Doban from OST (Outlaw Street Tuning).

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So it sounds like he just has one "custom" tune he sends to everyone? Is that even after you send him a datalog?

I personally use Jerseyboy tuning, as do alot of other jeep srt8 guys. He knows his stuff when it comes to tuning the modern hemi. Some LX guys use him also.
Other names to consider also is AJ Berge (Hemituner). Johan Mangs, he used to work for Diablosport. Josh from HHP (High Horse Performance). Mike Doban from OST (Outlaw Street Tuning).

IMO, I'd be more worried about getting the trans tuning right then the engine setup. HF was able to make some great improvements over the stock trans tuning. Tried one other tune and without the trans improvements it just wasn't worth it.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
IMO, I'd be more worried about getting the trans tuning right then the engine setup. HF was able to make some great improvements over the stock trans tuning. Tried one other tune and without the trans improvements it just wasn't worth it.
Are you talking about the Cummins or Hemi?

I doubt he did any trans tuning through email and the diablosport. Only trans tuning is in the tcm not the pcm. Not sure if the trucks are different from the other 6.4 vehicles or not.

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you talking about the Cummins or Hemi?

I doubt he did any trans tuning through email and the diablosport. Only trans tuning is in the tcm not the pcm. Not sure if the trucks are different from the other 6.4 vehicles or not.

I'm talking about the Hemi 6.4/66RFE trans. I don't have any specifics on how HF tuned the trans. But first time I reverted back to the OEM tune I was reminded of how much I hated the stock trans tuning. I'll ask Matt or Sean if they'll elaborate on what specifically is done here.