ugh.. check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, 9 months and 10k trouble free miles, but this morning I start it up and get a check engine light. Sounds and runs fine, no messages. I hate dealing with the local dealer..

soper72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Outdoorsman CC
Well, 9 months and 10k trouble free miles, but this morning I start it up and get a check engine light. Sounds and runs fine, no messages. I hate dealing with the local dealer..

Keep us posted. I had a steering sensor go at 3k, trouble free since. Going on 1 year and 12k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you don't have a code reader it's not a bad thing to pick up. I got one at Autozone for about $70 and it does the job. Also, places like Autozone will read the code for you for free and give you a print out. Of course, it ultimately goes to the dealer but knowing the code can help you know how urgent it is. Also, you can clear the code and see if it returns (they sometimes don't).

OP
OP
BlkZrx

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you don't have a code reader it's not a bad thing to pick up. I got one at Autozone for about $70 and it does the job. Also, places like Autozone will read the code for you for free and give you a print out. Of course, it ultimately goes to the dealer but knowing the code can help you know how urgent it is. Also, you can clear the code and see if it returns (they sometimes don't).

Good idea, thanks..

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Make sure your fuel cap is tight. I've cleared a dozen "small evap leak" codes off my kids cars over the years.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The 6.4L has a fuel cap? I thought it was capless like the Cummins?

Hmm, learn something new every day.

ramessesII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My light just came on too --with similar miles. I brought it in and it was nothing, just some EGR parameter out of spec. Got a couple updates and new bumpers on the weak middle console.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
You can get scanners for under $20.00 on e-bay....I have the ****-Scan 309...Works fine...

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
I picked up a used truck a couple weeks ago, and a check engine light came on already! ugh...so I picked up a cen-tech scan tool w/abs from harbor freight yesterday...was some sort of sensor error, I cleared the error and it went away and hasn't come back.....I figure if it's a problem, it'll come back on, otherwise a fluke in the universe...

the errors were not on that list posted above, had something to do with the DEF stuff...found them on another forum someplace.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I had a crankcase ventilation code pop up within the first 5k. I checked the system and found nothing wrong so I cleared it. It has never came back since with 39k on the clock now. I have found that sometimes these sensors will just get a false reading or go nuts for a short while and then go back to normal.

OP
OP
BlkZrx

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Appreciate all the responses, the error cleared itself the next day, will get a code reader soon.