update pcm = no TPMS light :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
comrades

came to sea level few days ago. truck ran like garbage. surged, stalled etc.

took in to dealer

they " updated " pcm

" to latest calibration "

" 181906KW " is the number on the work order under the word calibration...

been 2 days, one tank of gas - no more TPMS LIGHT.

i run toyos at 55

the light was on 24/7 before the update

cheers

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
maybe ram finally listened to all of the complaints and realized running tires at max all the time was silly

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
i want the option to turn that damn light off, if im not smart enough to look at my tires and check em then i dont need to be driving my truck....

OP
OP
N

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Please post a pic of the invoice if you can! :favorites13:

Comrade - I'm on a vacation of sorts now. Should be back in Colorado Wednesday ish...I have no clue how to post a photo. I'm a caveman. If you or someone can explain so, if it's easy I will try to do so when I get home.

My luck is that the Tpms light will come back on in Iowa or Nebraska ....

Cheers.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
maybe ram finally listened to all of the complaints and realized running tires at max all the time was silly

ha..

What people forget is these trucks are designed to work. The Feds control the tires and ratings for a reason.

People don't realize how many crashes are due to improper tire and tire rating when towing.

The Feds basically made FCA do the WiTech Update 2 to REMOVE the TPMS adjustability.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
ha..

What people forget is these trucks are designed to work. The Feds control the tires and ratings for a reason.

People don't realize how many crashes are due to improper tire and tire rating when towing.

The Feds basically made FCA do the WiTech Update 2 to REMOVE the TPMS adjustability.

Understood, however I do not tow. I know I am in the minority, I bought it for hauling heavier loads than a 1500 could handle. I also understand that when empty, 80 is not necessary..

OP
OP
N

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
ha..

I don't want the government anywhere near me, my low flow shower head, my mandated low flow clogging toilet, or my truck. I know that's wishful thinking....Cheers comrade!

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ha..

Ram used to provide a Light Load button on the dash for TPMS on 2012 and older 2500s. Its the few tards (and likely litigation happy) that ruined it for the majority of us that know better...

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
ha..

Then why is Ford's 2017 F-250 spec'd for 65 psi front, 60 psi in the rear? The door sticker actually states that! Oh, and you can change the TPMS thresholds for both F-250/350 in FORScan all day long.

This is squarely an FCA issue. Don't blame the .gov for FCA's stupidity.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't mind the little yellow light. I hate the prompt on the evic screen.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
ha..

Nonsense. My tires are rated to something like 3600 lbs at 80 psi, or 7200 lbs per axle. Seeing that Ram derated my rear axle to 6500 lbs, I don't need the full 80psi to accomplish that weight rating. Furthermore, I have a 2500 and an artificially lower rear axle rating as a result. I don't think I can put much more than 5000 lbs on my rear axle before I go over my 10,000 class 2B weight rating. My tires are rated to carry the "real world" weight that a 3/4 ton truck is designed to carry at around 65 psi., not 80.

Running my tires at 80psi does nothing but make a rougher ride, make it more likely to bounce around a turn when empty, provide less traction due to the rounded tread and reduce the lifespan of the tire. It isn't safer. It doesn't protect us. I'm not sure why Ram got rid of the empty air pressure setting, but I assume its a combination of bean counters (cheaper to forego that option) and lawyers (some idiot somewhere sued because they did something stupid and refused to accept personal responsibility for their stupidity). That is generally how the world works now...

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
comrades

came to sea level few days ago. truck ran like garbage. surged, stalled etc.

took in to dealer

they " updated " pcm

" to latest calibration "

" 181906KW " is the number on the work order under the word calibration...

been 2 days, one tank of gas - no more TPMS LIGHT.

i run toyos at 55

the light was on 24/7 before the update

cheers

Unless they lowered the threshold this doesn't really make sense. At what pressure will the light come on now? Or will it?

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Unless they lowered the threshold this doesn't really make sense. At what pressure will the light come on now? Or will it?

Exactly and i'd like to know the answer to those questions too. I'd also like to see a screenshot of the EVIC showing the pressures and no lights. I'm not calling anyone a liar but proof would be good. Running 55 psi will not cause a warning for the fronts, that's 50 for the Hemi. 80 rear psi is the same for the Hemi and Cummins and the warnings come on at 64. I wonder if a tech aired up the rears to 65+ to make the light go off.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
@nukegm

you may want to double check the tires. EVERY freaking time I take my truck to the dealer, they air up my tires to 80 psi. I could be wrong, but thats what they do when I go.

It's the same when I go to discount tire and firestone. They said their policy is to air up to the manufacturers specs on the sticker. They admit the psi is crazy high, but it's a CYA thing for them.

OP
OP
N

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
@nukegm

you may want to double check the tires. EVERY freaking time I take my truck to the dealer, they air up my tires to 80 psi. I could be wrong, but thats what they do when I go.

It's the same when I go to discount tire and firestone. They said their policy is to air up to the manufacturers specs on the sticker. They admit the psi is crazy high, but it's a CYA thing for them.

comrades - i did air down the tires after the dealer to 55 psi . the light was off for 3 days, and multiple tanks of fuel. the light came back on near the nebraska colorado state line...i dont understand how the thing stayed off for nearly 800 miles. go figure....

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
comrades - i did air down the tires after the dealer to 55 psi . the light was off for 3 days, and multiple tanks of fuel. the light came back on near the nebraska colorado state line...i dont understand how the thing stayed off for nearly 800 miles. go figure....
When the light came on what psi did it say to inflate to? I've heard of sensors taking awhile to update but that's a little much.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
@nukegm

And they don't even look at the max air pressure on the side of the tire when they air them back up to 80. The 35's max is 65. I went back to changing my own oil after they aired my 35's up to 80 on one visit and then the next visit put the 5.7 oil in my 6.4.