Want Rear Differential Cover w/Drain Plug for 2500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking for a rear differential cover with a drain plug for a 2500 4x4 6.4L. I think it is a 10.5".

I went to 4 Wheel Parts today and they don't have one. The issue is that the rear anti sway bar and suspension linkage are too close to the cover.

I only really want a rear differential cover with a drain plug.

Has anyone found one??

Phil21502

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a pml cover on mine and love it. They have a website, check them out

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
In case you don't find one, you don't have to completely disconnect the sway bar. I changed my diff fluid about a month ago and just took off the four bolts holding the sway bar to the axle letting it hang while I changed the oil. It probably added another 2-3 minutes to the job.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
In case you don't find one, you don't have to completely disconnect the sway bar. I changed my diff fluid about a month ago and just took off the four bolts holding the sway bar to the axle letting it hang while I changed the oil. It probably added another 2-3 minutes to the job.

Thanks - I usually siphon the fluid out. All of the fluid may not get out but it is too much work to unbolt and reseal everything.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
AEV has front & rear heavy duty covers. The rear has 3 plugs. A drain plug on the bottom, a "fill line" plug and a large plug on top to fill from.

Pricey, but they look nice. Right now I'm fine with the stock ones. When I get a few more items checked off my mod list, I'll look into them.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
AEV has front & rear heavy duty covers. The rear has 3 plugs. A drain plug on the bottom, a "fill line" plug and a large plug on top to fill from.

Pricey, but they look nice. Right now I'm fine with the stock ones. When I get a few more items checked off my mod list, I'll look into them.

Is this the one?

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/shop/vehicle/ram/ram-rear-differential-cover

" Designed specifically for the AAM 11.5” The 6.4l 2500 has 10.5" correct???

Last edited:

Phil21502

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should be 11.5 for ur year. And again check out the pml cover. I can't say anything bad about mine. Those aev are nice but sure are pricey

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going with the PML cover.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
After my first diff fluid change I stopped caring about covers with drains. The stock cover comes off with the sway bar in place and the gasket is reusable. The only caveat is if you need better protection against rocks or increased cooling. Otherwise it's just another shiny object to waste your money on.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
After my first diff fluid change I stopped caring about covers with drains. The stock cover comes off with the sway bar in place and the gasket is reusable. The only caveat is if you need better protection against rocks or increased cooling. Otherwise it's just another shiny object to waste your money on.

I full time in a travel trailer so I plan on changing my rear diff fluid often.

Also, traveling doesn't allow for convenient places to change fluids so I have to do it fast.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I full time in a travel trailer so I plan on changing my rear diff fluid often.

Also, traveling doesn't allow for convenient places to change fluids so I have to do it fast.

So you're saying a new diff cover will speed up your fluid changes? I find that hard to believe. How much driving are you doing? 60k, 90k? That's what, two or three changes a year? You MIGHT save five minutes per change with a drain plug. It takes less than five minutes to pull the rear diff cover and you get to inspect the diff while you're in there.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
So you're saying a new diff cover will speed up your fluid changes? I find that hard to believe. How much driving are you doing? 60k, 90k? That's what, two or three changes a year? You MIGHT save five minutes per change with a drain plug. It takes less than five minutes to pull the rear diff cover and you get to inspect the diff while you're in there.

The manual states that 'severe duty' which includes towing; the rear diff fluid should be changed at 20K.

My rear diff has two areas where items are hung from the rear diff bolts. Then there are the sway bar and suspension linkage that are in the way.

Only opening and closing two plug holes should save me a lot of time and mess.