weather strip between cab & box....why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I can take a pic on lunch if needed. there is a "weather strip" (best name i can give it) between the cab and box. its like a rubber flap or a giant squeegee looking thing that is held in by plastic clips. all the way at the bottom of the cab. every time it rains or i wash my truck the thing holds water for a long time. I have to crawl under there and run a stick in between it to let the water out.

what the heck is it there for. thinking about removing it as I dont want water sitting their that long. Is it to keep road debris out form between the cab and box?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm pretty sure it's there as part of the aerodynamics of the truck/drag reduction.

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm pretty sure it's there as part of the aerodynamics of the truck/drag reduction.

really... not doubting you at all just seems....... optimistic on RAM's part.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hopefully someone else can confirm it. I may have read it somewhere. Ram did a bunch of little tweaks to these 2013+ trucks to squeeze out extra mpg/less drag wherever they could. Probably due to federal fuel economy goals, ie
- the active grill shutters (not only for engine temp but create a front air bubble when closed at hwy speeds to reduce drag)
- lower front end (reduced drag)
- built in mini spoiler on the rear tailgate
- adding the OEM oval wheel to wheel steps also cuts drag/increases mpg by 1/2 - 1 mpg.

Of course a lot of that goes out the window with a leveling kit, bigger AT/MT tires and replacing the front grill/shutters entirely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hopefully someone else can confirm it. I may have read it somewhere. Ram did a bunch of little tweaks to these 2013+ trucks to squeeze out extra mpg/less drag wherever they could. Probably due to federal fuel economy goals, ie
- the active grill shutters (not only for engine temp but create a front air bubble when closed at hwy speeds to reduce drag)
- lower front end (reduced drag)
- built in mini spoiler on the rear tailgate
- adding the OEM oval wheel to wheel steps also cuts drag/increases mpg by 1/2 - 1 mpg.

Of course a lot of that goes out the window with a leveling kit, bigger AT/MT tires and replacing the front grill/shutters entirely.

WTF is this?

my truck doesn't have it right? must be an option on the 1/2 ton or nicer trucks.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I didn't realize that you had a 3500 until I looked at your profile and I'm not sure about that truck class but the non HD 1500 & 2500's seen to have most of those as far as I know (i could be wrong).

You can check for the grill shutters easily enough. Start the truck up when it's cool, and see if there are slats in the grill that close and then open up one the engine warms up to a certain temp.

Crashno1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have my car wash guy spray it off every time he washes it. All it's going to do
is cause the cab and bed to rust. Not a real smart idea.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have my car wash guy spray it off every time he washes it. All it's going to do
is cause the cab and bed to rust. Not a real smart idea.

were do you get one of these? is yours free say....once a week for a few hours?

Crashno1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too Dam hot in South Florida to do it yourself. Heat index is 104 with 100% humidity.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
well unless someone can come up with a good reason to leave it on....mine is coming off next time i wash it.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
mine came off a long time ago. no idea why it's there and I think it actually looks cleaner without them. The metal rod or backing inside of it was rusting and they started to fall of

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
mine came off a long time ago. no idea why it's there and I think it actually looks cleaner without them. The metal rod or backing inside of it was rusting and they started to fall of

off it comes for sure then

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
not at the moment. its best to lay under the truck to see it. its all the way at the bottom of the cab right on the corner. full length of the cab/box were they but up to each other. i can take a pic later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
not at the moment. its best to lay under the truck to see it. its all the way at the bottom of the cab right on the corner. full length of the cab/box were they but up to each other. i can take a pic later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
I just crawled under mine and don,t see what you are explaining.I have factory running boards maybe with those its not there?

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't realize that you had a 3500 until I looked at your profile and I'm not sure about that truck class but the non HD 1500 & 2500's seen to have most of those as far as I know (i could be wrong).

You can check for the grill shutters easily enough. Start the truck up when it's cool, and see if there are slats in the grill that close and then open up one the engine warms up to a certain temp.

The active grill is only on 1500's.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I think I've see that flap you are speaking of. I noticed it I think cause I saw leaves in there.

I bet it's for some sort of wind noise or drag.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
so to be clear. I am NOT talking about the ones on the new 1500"s that run vertical to the ground on both sides of the box/cab gap. they go up and down.

im am talking about the one that runs parallel to the ground that is going the WIDTH of your box/cab. it also is parallel to your axles. you HAVE to lay under the truck to see it.

here are some pics. it is like a little water trough that hold the water there.

first pic should be a somewhat siee view from under the truck. 2nd pic is directly under it looking up. it is the black flap.

where is waldo?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 131
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I just crawled under mine and don,t see what you are explaining.I have factory running boards maybe with those its not there?

see pics. running boards have nothing to do with it.