weather strip between cab & box....why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
well I haven't had a chance to reinstall this weather strip thing and we got 2 1/2 inches of rain within 15 minutes when I was at the gym. In the back of my mind was the comment about water getting on the fuel pump. Didn't have any issues. This was only one instance.

I just went outside and looked at my truck.
Yes, the fuel pump is directly in the opening between the cab and bed.
It looks like the shape of the tank will let water run off /out of the fuel pump area.
I do see what you are saying, but I can't see that strip stopping water from getting on the fuel pump.
It may stop a direct hit / blast, but I think it would still get wet.
I may cut a plastic milk bottle and shield over the fuel pump.
It'll be away from any body panel contact, but cover the fuel pump area.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I just went outside and looked at my truck.
Yes, the fuel pump is directly in the opening between the cab and bed.
It looks like the shape of the tank will let water run off /out of the fuel pump area.
I do see what you are saying, but I can't see that strip stopping water from getting on the fuel pump.
It may stop a direct hit / blast, but I think it would still get wet.
I may cut a plastic milk bottle and shield over the fuel pump.
It'll be away from any body panel contact, but cover the fuel pump area.

Excellent idea. Just cut the bottom of the jug off. I would scallop the bottom edge of the jug that sits on the tank, for air to flow through. Thanks for the great idea.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
And maybe spray paint it black. Lol

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
so after thinking long and hard about it, I did the "Tape" idea. I ended up using Gorilla tape on the cab as well as on the plastic strip thing so there are 2 smooth surfaces touching.....and then zip tied the thing back on. man was it a PITA trying to get tape on the back of the cab when laying under the truck. it wasn't so bad on the passenger side but the drivers side has the gas tank right in the way, and that was a trick let me tell you... in the end I was under the truck for a good hour.

well see how long it last from rubbing. that gorilla tape is some thick, strong stuff.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so after thinking long and hard about it, I did the "Tape" idea. I ended up using Gorilla tape on the cab as well as on the plastic strip thing so there are 2 smooth surfaces touching.....and then zip tied the thing back on. man was it a PITA trying to get tape on the back of the cab when laying under the truck. it wasn't so bad on the passenger side but the drivers side has the gas tank right in the way, and that was a trick let me tell you... in the end I was under the truck for a good hour.

well see how long it last from rubbing. that gorilla tape i some thick, strong stuff.
Yeah the drivers side is such a pita to get to. When I pulled the weatherstrip off that was the worst part. One of those push pins is almost directly above the gas tank...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't imagine doing it with the bed fully installed .

For anyone thinking of installing a body lift , this would be the time to do it !
I did mine @ 1500 miles while the bed was off at a body shop.

Hell it's pretty simple to disconnect the bed and slide it back a bit ...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't imagine doing it with the bed fully installed .

For anyone thinking of installing a body lift , this would be the time to do it !
I did mine @ 1500 miles while the bed was off at a body shop.

Hell it's pretty simple to disconnect the bed and slide it back a bit ...
I've never had a pickup box off a truck before, I'm assuming it's several bolts accessed from under the truck?

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've never had a pickup box off a truck before, I'm assuming it's several bolts accessed from under the truck?

The bolts are on the inside of the box should be able to see them unless you have a bed linner. They proboly have little covers on them. Dont remember.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Good Thread with great info !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe there are 6 bolts holding the bed , then unplug your tail lights and trailer hitch plugs ☆☆Edit☆☆ and the fuel filler neck screws , if you drop the spare tire it makes the bed much lighter and more balanced .

The bed is pretty light one guy on each side to lift it up and back about a foot will give plenty of room to access the back of the cab .

Last edited: