What kind of mileage with and without PDF deletes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

four_gear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Found a 2012 ram 3500 mega cab Laramie with the 6.7 cummins. Just wondering what kind of fuel mileage people are getting with the stock, and with a dpf delete? Is the delete worth it? Or should I be looking for a 13 with def? TIA

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well the delete is only worth it if it is a what is known as a " full delete" witch means new exhaust " hopefully turbo back" wich deletes the dpf and also the egr. Personally I feel the egr cuts that diesel motor life/performance in half. Also these are emission regs to satisfy the epa and they can be expensive as all hell to have replaced because the state/county you live in requires it to pass smog to be registerd.. something to think about, and having them deleted can land you a 50k fine... just something to chew on... the county where I live u only smog on purchase or sale.. so personally I'd delete the hell out of it lol.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Stock, I was getting around 16 to 16.5 MPG combined city/highway. But I immediately installed a lift and larger tires and then deleted. I'm still getting 16-16.5 MPG deleted, but that is with a lift and 37 inch tires. Most owners seem to report about a 3 MPG increase after deleting. As pointed out, you need to consider the area you live in. I don't have to worry about inspections. Some people do, and just reinstall their DPF and NOX filters for inspection once a year. Another thing to consider is that the EPA cracked down on "race tuners" that enable you to delete emissions controls so the price of these tuners has shot up. If you decide deleting isn't for you, the 2013 up Cummins get a little better milage than the 2010-2012's with less emission's problems.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
We deleted my dad's 2012 2500 mega cab. he was getting 14-15 on summer fuel with mixed highway and in town... We deleted him near new years a couple years ago, and on winter fuel he was getting 18 mixed... went up to 20 in the summer. he was averaging 11ish pulling his 5th wheel weighing 15,000 pounds. He is now looking at a solid 14 while towing it... pulling the camper is it's primary use...

we did the full delete, tuner, egr and dpf delete... I loved the sound of it with the stock muffler on but he didn't like the little bit of drone that was heard in the cab. We installed a 30" FTE resonator and it eliminated all drone... sweet ride...

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Im seeing 13MPG in the city, all stop and go with lights.

18MPG all highway @ 75mph.

Mixed highway/city with some light towing I've seen 14mpg.

Stock with all emissions systems

JonF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my 2011 I did a DPF delete pipe and smarty Jr. I only ran the 40 HP tune and averaged 17+ mpg with a light foot daily driving in the summer. (Empty) On a long interstate drive I could get very close to 19 mpg @ 70-74 mph. Day to day driving that was a 2 mpg increase. I never took a long trip before deleting so I cant compare there.

The 2013+ trucks with DEF do the same or better mpg than my modified 2011.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Picked up a solid 3 mpg when I deleted my '10. I ran the Smarty Jr. and flo-pro 4" turbo back since I kept the stock muffler (straight thru design). If I had to do it over I would have went with a new 5" turbo back as the 5" exhaust sounds significantly better IMHO. Overall I was happy with my results and would absolutely do it again on the pre-DEF trucks. Oh, and I was running my Smarty on the performance setting (100 hp) unless I was towing heavy. Truck still would not roll coal, not even close.........tune was VERY CLEAN.

And did this to a set of Toyo MT's...............

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 235