What's the most you've hauled/towed with your HD's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I really haven't broken mine in good yet. I've hauled a couple large round bales (maybe 3-4 tons):

2016_ram_roundbales.jpg

…my 50hp compact utility tractor (no pic), a load of loose mulch in the bed and pulling a flarebox wagon full of same (before starting mods):

2015_ram2500_side.jpg

…and most recently, taking my DD to the alignment shop after installing stiffer springs and camber bolts for autocrossing.

2016_ontrailer.jpg

es

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Guess i've never actually hauled with mine ether. That said, 5th wheel pin weight at about 4k and will set it down approx 3 inches. After installing the Air Lift 5000, 40# in the bags has the ride height back to standard and that is with 4 fuel cans full and a 7500 generator. It towed fine without the bags but the headlamp aim of course was high and also with the bags, the pin shock when towing seems significantly better. Am now in Canada at HighLine and have logged almost 4k miles on mostly the back and secondary roads. Couldn't be happier with the Ram capabilities. Also, finding out just how much difference elevation plays on power and mileage. In CO with elevations starting at a mile,there is a huge difference in both. Think, hand calculated, will be averaging 10 mpg towing between 13 and 14k 5'er. Truly enjoying the Canadian trip and the Ram's towing capabilities.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Oo. I thought it was 4000. So basically mine would look just as bad with 4000
The 2500's are in the lower 3000 range with the 6.4 and crew cabs. The 3500's get an additional 1000 pounds or so of payload capacity.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Guess i've never actually hauled with mine ether. That said, 5th wheel pin weight at about 4k and will set it down approx 3 inches. After installing the Air Lift 5000, 40# in the bags has the ride height back to standard and that is with 4 fuel cans full and a 7500 generator. It towed fine without the bags but the headlamp aim of course was high and also with the bags, the pin shock when towing seems significantly better. Am now in Canada at HighLine and have logged almost 4k miles on mostly the back and secondary roads. Couldn't be happier with the Ram capabilities. Also, finding out just how much difference elevation plays on power and mileage. In CO with elevations starting at a mile,there is a huge difference in both. Think, hand calculated, will be averaging 10 mpg towing between 13 and 14k 5'er. Truly enjoying the Canadian trip and the Ram's towing capabilities.

Nice post. Thanks for sharing.

I love traveling the states but all the wife ever wants to do is go over seas. Last tome i vacationed in the states was about 10 years ago for only 3 days in florida golfing with my dad on his buisness trip. The time befor that i was probobly 10 and we went to mertal beach (spelling).

What rpms do u run at with that weight when on a flat highway....say 60mph ish

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Most towed

She is around 14k with the tanks full(maybe a little more). Up and down steep grades she pulls it no problems. Although the wind resistance becomes a major factor above 75 mph.

20150419_164805.jpg

Most hauled (that I have a pic of)

42 50lb bags of dear corn and protein plus about 50-75 lbs worth of tools in the Ramboxes totaling about 2,150 lbs.

20150905_094019.jpg

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
It's hard to make a comparison in towing rpms as we've towed in the CO rockies and in SD both eastern and western with elevations between 12000 and 2000' with the standard 3.73 gearing. With the 3.73's in eastern SD and on the flats, was towing in 2nd to 4th depending if in tow haul or not. It struggled many times unless you wanted to run at least the high end of 3000 rpms. After the re gear to 4.54, am now running here in 5th and 6th with rpms between 1400 and 2000 not in tow haul mode. If i run into hilly country or in soft road conditions i do run in TH. Coming out of CO, and still in the 4 to 5000' range in elevations generally was able to tow w/o TH and then around 2000 to 3500 rpm. Now, when i get into the low 4's for rpm i have the power without having to struggle or run at an insane rpm. Think the 4.10's would definitely help if you have them. As for actual rpms vs speed, run about 1800 at 60 and at 80, 2200 rpm. Am also able to use the MDS and especially now in the 500' elevations and that includes when towing. Also, don't use the tow haul on the declines as when you brake, no matter how lightly, you will get a downshift weather you want it or not. Now, i use the gear shifter prior to the grade and am able to control when i want the downshift, or if at all.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys got nothing on me....weak....here's the mother load

20160506_192703_zpszqhbiojy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
You forgot to flip out your tow mirrors for that load.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

soper72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Outdoorsman CC
a878c4665fb2fbb63530f1decf14902a.jpg

My old bathroom on its way to the dump. Doesn't look like much, but there is probably about 2k pounds worth of tiles in there. I wish it rode that smooth all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, got to do a heavy tow for the first time today. From what I can find by looking up it is somewhere between 5500 and 7000 pounds plus the trailer. Transmission programming sucks even in tow haul mode. It will stay in 4th gear going 40 at 1400 rpm's slowing down until I give it enough gas to kick down and then take off. It happened a few times at different speeds too. Braking was horrendous, why are surge brakes legal? Never had a lack of power but of course I still would like to have the Cummins for any type of pulling.
728d7b6b100629ffd9a4fdccb088c311.jpg

deadparrot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Didnt think to take a picture as its pretty much all my truck does. Ill snap one for you all next run. 3000 (60 50lb bags) of feed suppliment in bed weekly. Pretty sure thats higher than rating. Never checked to be honest.

Bumber pull with skid loader and fencing supplies we are around the 10000 lb trailer/load combined.

Stock trailer is a Wilson aluminum goose. 5700 lb empty, usally 10000 to 12000 in cattle on heavy hauls. Pulls good, plenty of power and brakes, BUT you know its back there.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Hauled a bulldozer on a heavy trailer once... v10 didn't care. Tranny did

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've put 2 yards of mulch on a few occasions, as well as 2 yards of black dirt in the bed of my truck. Will put up a pic when I get home from work. Only had to travel about 7 miles loaded like this, but was easily doable.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So after towing the excavator back this morning I've determined I would much rather have my old 1500 to tow with power wise vs my 2500. I don't know of it is the weight difference between the platforms or if it is the 8 speed but the 1500 was just flat out better. Engine braking is amazing with the 8 speed in tow haul, it downshifts to to provide the perfect amount of engine braking, this truck didn't do that whatsoever. The transmission programming is so screwed up in this 2500 I litterally have to force a downshift sometimes, which causes the truck to take off way after than I want so I have to let off, then it up shifts back into the same gear again causing the same problem! It acted the same way in tow haul as it did without tow haul on. I almost wanted to take it back to stock to see if it is the hemifever programming not working good for towing or if this is how it acts stock. Truth be told I wasn't impressed with the power either... If it had the 8 speed I think it would be hands down the best performing gas truck empty and towing, but as it stands now if I were going to tow heavy all the time I would be getting a cummins.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
So after towing the excavator back this morning I've determined I would much rather have my old 1500 to tow with power wise vs my 2500. I don't know of it is the weight difference between the platforms or if it is the 8 speed but the 1500 was just flat out better. Engine braking is amazing with the 8 speed in tow haul, it downshifts to to provide the perfect amount of engine braking, this truck didn't do that whatsoever. The transmission programming is so screwed up in this 2500 I litterally have to force a downshift sometimes, which causes the truck to take off way after than I want so I have to let off, then it up shifts back into the same gear again causing the same problem! It acted the same way in tow haul as it did without tow haul on. I almost wanted to take it back to stock to see if it is the hemifever programming not working good for towing or if this is how it acts stock. Truth be told I wasn't impressed with the power either... If it had the 8 speed I think it would be hands down the best performing gas truck empty and towing, but as it stands now if I were going to tow heavy all the time I would be getting a cummins.

Can you increase transmission line pressure with the Hemifever tune? If it is a true custom tune then they should be able to manipulate the line pressure, torque converter lock up, and shift points making your towing experience a lot better. From my experience with some tuners in the past, I have found that those that make a great unloaded tune generally are not good at making good towing tunes, and those that can make a good towing tune do not make a great unloaded tune.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Im lot trying to argue with anyone but my truck acts COMPLETLY DIFFERENT when its in tow/haul mode. And even better under load. The shiftimg points and engine breaking woke good too.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Ivery never owned an 8 speed but my shift points on my truck seem fine in tow haul. I'd say better than my 5.0 f150. Ive towed over 10000 multiple times now and the transmission seems to stay in a good gear. Usually stays in 4th and doesn't struggle. Only complaint is when it first goes into second gear it seems too tall until it builds up Rpm again.
The difference in towing this much weight as far as breaking and stability isn't in the same ballpark with 1500 vs 2500 too.

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I prefer to not use the tow/haul mode. It definitely changes the shift points and I just don't like it. Uses 2nd way too much and ignores 3rd when 3rd seems to be the right choice. I'm only pulling 7K with another 1K in the cab/bed, but not using it felt smoother & MPG was better.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I prefer to not use the tow/haul mode. It definitely changes the shift points and I just don't like it. Uses 2nd way too much and ignores 3rd when 3rd seems to be the right choice. I'm only pulling 7K with another 1K in the cab/bed, but not using it felt smoother & MPG was better.

from what i understand in "D" normal driving ( no T/H mode) the truck uses 1,2,4,5,6
When T/H mode is activated it uses 1,2,3,4,5 and the shift points are much higher in the RPM range. not sure if you meant that it literally ignores 3rd or if you meant it dosnt use it enough or at the right point/rpm

Im not %100 sure though.