What's In Store for MY2018 Major Update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ram-small.jpg

Competition never stands still - any guesses? My wishlist:

• HID or LED headlights (Please, sweet baby Jesus!)
  • Front "spotting" camera
  • Blind spot monitors
  • Better mirrors (power folding, extending, retracting, more convex surface area)
  • Dampened tailgate
  • Flat rear floor
  • 8-speed transmission (gas only, probably)
  • Better build quality (less squeaks/rattles)
  • Better fuel efficiency
  • Limited slip **AND** electronically locking rear diff
  • Interior carpet delete
  • Front passenger footwell bulge removal
  • 10", 4:3 aspect ratio (not 16:9) center screen
  • Upgraded processor for center screen
  • Locking fuel door w/ remote release
  • Real underbody skid plates option (e.g., capable of load bearing/deflecting blunt force trauma)
  • More mega cab rear seat recline
  • More payload & towing (goes without saying) w/ better ride quality
  • Driver-adjustable TPMS PSI warning thresholds
  • 1,000 watt power inverter rating
  • AMP Powersteps option

Last edited:

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I like all that except flat rear floor. I love the storage compartments. My Ford with the flat floor sacked because everything rolled around in the back.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the storage too; I dream that they're compatible with a flat floor. :)

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I would bet that an 8 speed transmission upgrade would be on most 6.4L and 5.7L owners list.

I don't think an 8 speed would be viable for the 6.7L Cummins, but I would like to see an upgraded 68RFE making it beefier with better shift logic.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I liked the flat rear floor in my ford. It worked better for my guns. now everything has to go on the seat. its a little bit of a PITA.

I would LOVE a flat rear floor and the same storage. but you would have to give up the height somewhere, ground clearance from the cab or head room....
something. and im not giving up ride height/ground clearance. just cant.

Last edited:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
If we're being honest, I doubt we're going to see a major update in 2018. Speculation was that the generation change would be the major update. Timing wise it would have made sense for that to happen in 2017/2018 however since that didn't happen for the 2017 1500's I doubt it's going to happen in 2018 for the HD trucks. If anything I'd expect the 2018 1500's to get the major update and the HD trucks will wait until 2019 (the 1500's typically get the upgrade a year earlier than the HD trucks).

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They would do themselves a big favor by just getting the damn 8 speed in HD trucks. Understand it might not survive behind a diesel, but certainly should work in the gas trucks. That and a bump in HP for both gas engines would be at the top of my list. And maybe a front camera option:)

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I liked the flat rear floor in my ford. It worked better for my guns. now everything has to go on the seat. its a little bit of a PITA.

I would LOVE a flat rear floor and the same storage. but you would have to give up the height somewhere, ground clearance from the cab or head room....
something. and im not giving up ride height/ground clearance. just cant.

I'd like to see a flat floor, with larger compartments in the floor boards like the crew cabs have. Just bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm all for the 8 speed behind the gassers, I'd buy one tomorrow. I know the 8 speed can handle the power but does anyone know if it's duty rated (whatever the term is) for towing and hauling HD weights or if the parking mechanism will hold? I've been hoping FCA would wise up and drop the 8 speed behind the 6.4 Hemi, what a towing machine that would be (for a gasser)!

One would assume based on the fact the 8HP70 is stouter compared to the 545RFE that used to be behind the HD gassers it would work but you know what they say when you assume..........

Last edited:
Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm all for the 8 speed behind the gassers, I'd buy one tomorrow. I know the 8 speed can handle the power but does anyone know if it's duty rated (whatever the term is) for towing and hauling HD weights or if the parking mechanism will hold? I've been hoping FCA would wise up and drop the 8 speed behind the 6.4 Hemi, what a towing machine that would be (for a gasser)!

One would assume based on the fact the 8HP70 is stouter compared to the 545RFE that used to be behind the HD gassers it would work but you know what they say when you assume..........

I would be all for it if they made the HD version serviceable under warranty. if it was not serviceable under warranty like the 1/2 ton id be skeptical. or id just suck it up and void the warranty but doing my own service.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be all for it if they made the HD version serviceable under warranty. if it was not serviceable under warranty like the 1/2 ton id be skeptical. or id just suck it up and void the warranty but doing my own service.

That's a great point as I've never seen a "no fill" tranny on an HD.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X2.

Forgot all about that non-user serviceable "feature" on the 8HP70.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IIRC, didn't Jeep add a dipstick to one of the trannys they started using since "jeepers" like to check the fluid? I seem to remember reading that though I'm not sure if that was on the 8 speed. Either way there is hope.........

And the more I think about it, the only real drawback would be the inability to do a quick visual inspection. I mean, the trans does have an inspection/fill hole!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
When the 2013+ Wrangles went exclusively to the Pentastar V6, they mated it with a sealed 5 speed transmission that has no dipstick.

SEALED TRANSMISSIONS

:gayflag:

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If we're being honest, I doubt we're going to see a major update in 2018. Speculation was that the generation change would be the major update. Timing wise it would have made sense for that to happen in 2017/2018 however since that didn't happen for the 2017 1500's I doubt it's going to happen in 2018 for the HD trucks. If anything I'd expect the 2018 1500's to get the major update and the HD trucks will wait until 2019 (the 1500's typically get the upgrade a year earlier than the HD trucks).

:(

You're probably right.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When the 2013+ Wrangles went exclusively to the Pentastar V6, they mated it with a sealed 5 speed transmission that has no dipstick.

The WA580 5 speed behind the 3.6 Pentastar does indeed have a dipstick, it's located under the plastic engine cover. The trans is considered a "fill for life" tranny but it has a dipstick.............

Snipit of an article in an offroad rag:

The Wrangler A580 gets a dipstick but it’s still considered a “fill-for-life” transmission that requires no maintenance. The new auto also comes with Electronic Range Select, a shifter that can be toggled to the right or left to control selection of the desired top gear.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
The WA580 5 speed behind the 3.6 Pentastar does indeed have a dipstick, it's located under the plastic engine cover. The trans is considered a "fill for life" tranny but it has a dipstick.............

Snipit of an article in an offroad rag:

The Wrangler A580 gets a dipstick but it’s still considered a “fill-for-life” transmission that requires no maintenance. The new auto also comes with Electronic Range Select, a shifter that can be toggled to the right or left to control selection of the desired top gear.

Yeah, you are right. I forgot about it being under the cover.