What's it worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I'm gonna sell my rig. Looks like the garage in the new house we just built is too short...I was afraid that was going to happen but there's nothing we could have done about it anyway. Thinking about getting a new Durango R/T.

I have 72k miles, truck is in great shape, always babied. Normal wear and tear on the interior and exterior, no dings or deep scratches, no rips or tears. KBB says trade in is right around 26k but I've got a ton of mods/accessories (listed in my signature). What does you guys think it's worth? I'm in MN so big 4x4's are desirable.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm gonna sell my rig. Looks like the garage in the new house we just built is too short...I was afraid that was going to happen but there's nothing we could have done about it anyway. Thinking about getting a new Durango R/T.

I have 72k miles, truck is in great shape, always babied. Normal wear and tear on the interior and exterior, no dings or deep scratches, no rips or tears. KBB says trade in is right around 26k but I've got a ton of mods/accessories (listed in my signature). What does you guys think it's worth? I'm in MN so big 4x4's are desirable.

Mods aren't going to add any value. Maybe an "I would buy this one instead" value, but not monetary value. In many markets, it will even lower the value.
What does KBB say for retail value?

…and what builder wouldn't add a couple feet onto a garage for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
It wasn't length we did add 2 feet, it's height. We could have pushed up to an 8' door but it wasn't in the budget.

KBB says high retail is actually a few bucks LESS than high trade.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It wasn't length we did add 2 feet, it's height. We could have pushed up to an 8' door but it wasn't in the budget.

That's why no one uses KBB. Banks and dealers use NADA for loan value purposes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
That's why no one uses KBB. Banks and dealers use NADA for loan value purposes.

Yeah, I have nada access to NADA.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Everyone does. And it's free.

Where can I find that? Didn't see anything on the website except paid values...did I miss it?

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Found it. My first search took me directly to the business site.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Found it. My first search took me directly to the business site.

$26,175 clean trade, $29,675 clean retail. That's about what I was thinking, I want around $30 for it...we'll see how much they want to deal I guess.

Thanks for the tip Rampant

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would leave it in the drive way personally. But in all honesty in my area I would say 30-32 retail witch brings you in around 24-26 for trade and 27-29 private party. Like others have said Mods won't get you anything it may help you sell it private party but dealers don't care and can hurt you value because you gotta find someone that likes what you have done.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
$26,175 clean trade, $29,675 clean retail. That's about what I was thinking, I want around $30 for it...we'll see how much they want to deal I guess.

Thanks for the tip Rampant
$30k is about what a dealer would sell for or even a bit more. That's why they lowball you on the trade-in. Selling to a private party should be real close to the middle. I'd expect to get around 28-28.5k if it is in outstanding condition. Why would anyone pay full retail from a private seller? No warranty, no prep, no insp., tag/title work, etc., etc.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Understand that. Upgrading both my doors to 9' during the build wasn't cheap.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Understand that. Upgrading both my doors to 9' during the build wasn't cheap.

a smidge OT and not trying to be a smart ass or trouble maker, but what is it about taller doors adds to the cost of a build? Other than the doors themselves. I've always built my own garages/work shops so maybe I don't understand how contractors/builders work. My shop I built last year has two 9 foot doors on one side and an 8 ft door on another. No added cost.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
a smidge OT and not trying to be a smart ass or trouble maker, but what is it about taller doors adds to the cost of a build? Other than the doors themselves. I've always built my own garages/work shops so maybe I don't understand how contractors/builders work. My shop I built last year has two 9 foot doors on one side and an 8 ft door on another. No added cost.

It's just the doors, unless your plan has a low roofline over the garage. We went with 9x18 and 9x10. My wife had to have these specific windows in them that they only sell on an insulated door. Windows, insulated doors, higher horsepower openers were all up charges. I don't even like to think about how much extra it cost me.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
unless your plan has a low roofline over the garage.

This has to be it. I'm guessing it's more than an extra foot of a couple 2X4s to frame the openings. :)

Most houses (in my area anyway) being built today have living space above the garage and it's not as simple as just raising the garage a foot. It may not even be possible to stay within neighborhood guidelines and all the other BS.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I wish you well and getting what you want for your truck. In the end, till your done swapping vehicles, paying taxes, registration, etc, i just can't imagine it's going to cost less than the change from going from a 7x16 to an 8x16 door. Even if the garage would have to be a foot higher.

My shop has 8x16 doors and my truck goes in just fine. I also have a standard bay door opener i installed.

My wife and i have been looking to build for several years, but have held off looking for the right piece of land in the right area.

To each their own, but i have to ask, if a few thousand dollars more to build a garage to handle your truck is going to break the bank, should you be building a new house in the first place?

Good luck with your decision

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This has to be it. I'm guessing it's more than an extra foot of a couple 2X4s to frame the openings. :)

Most houses (in my area anyway) being built today have living space above the garage and it's not as simple as just raising the garage a foot. It may not even be possible to stay within neighborhood guidelines and all the other BS.

My neighbor to the north has his 3500 in the driveway for that reason. He would have had to raise the entire second floor 2 feet to the tune of $20K.

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
With the mods listed, a seller would need to find the person looking for that type of vehicle. Locally vehicles with mods are harder to trade as won't put them on their lot but send to auction. They don't know who did the work, if it's correct and don't want to touch it.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

I disagree with some of the others. By no means are you going to get 100% return on your mods, but I feel they will help you get to the high end of the book value. If you have time I highly suggest that you try to sell it yourself. As you probably already know, this is how you will get top dollar.
We also have a Durango. It has the 3.6 with a K&N CAI. It gets up & hauls ass so I can only imagine what it is like with the Hemi.:naughty: