Why is the cummins soo slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
but compared to my other diesels

Would love to hear what the other diesels are - I came from an 06 stock Duramax into my 6.4 Hemi. I loved the Dmax but there was definitely a lag until the beast let loose. I test drove the Cummins back to back with the 6.4 and really liked the 6.4's responsiveness. Of course, I miss the diesel "beast" and towing with it. Still buying beer with the 6K I saved :) :)

As much as I like the 6.4 I really doubt I'd buy another gas HD truck.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the same boat as above- Love my 6.4... Can't justify a diesel.. That being said.. Next time maybe I'll take a small sacrifice in trim lvl to get a diesel..

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Couldn't justify a diesel option either, but got one anyways because I wanted it and didn't want to spend the next 3-5 years wishing I did. Nothing against the other engine choices, they just weren't even an option for me regardless. I live by the motto "life is too short to regret things you didn't do".

Tuned and deleted, normal off the line performance improves dramatically with the torque management "tailored". Just a little throttle input will get you off the line quickly. There have been many times that the person next to me thinks I am racing them coming off a stop light when I am just applying light throttle input not even getting above 2,000 rpm. My wife used to get mad at me for this because she thought I was trying to race everyone off the line too. Then she drove the truck and people were doing the same to her, and she drives like a grandma compared to me.

Now you can tune these trucks without removing the emissions equipment. Some tuners will also turn off the EGR, but you can return it back to stock to turn it on if you have to get an emissions test for state inspection.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Would love to hear what the other diesels are - I came from an 06 stock Duramax into my 6.4 Hemi. I loved the Dmax but there was definitely a lag until the beast let loose. I test drove the Cummins back to back with the 6.4 and really liked the 6.4's responsiveness. Of course, I miss the diesel "beast" and towing with it. Still buying beer with the 6K I saved :) :)

As much as I like the 6.4 I really doubt I'd buy another gas HD truck.

1998 Cummins 24v (chipped, leveled)
2005 Cummins HO (6" lift, bullydog programmer)
2008 Cummins (deleted, 6" lift, H&S mini max)
2009 Duramax (stock, not worth investing in)
2015 Cummins (leveled, and better than the rest)

Really hated my Dmax. Didn't keep it very long. It was a sluggish **** in comparison. Hunted gears too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
1998 Cummins 24v (chipped, leveled)
2005 Cummins HO (6" lift, bullydog programmer)
2008 Cummins (deleted, 6" lift, H&S mini max)
2009 Duramax (stock, not worth investing in)
2015 Cummins (leveled, and better than the rest)

Really hated my Dmax. Didn't keep it very long. It was a sluggish **** in comparison. Hunted gears too much.

Thanks.... that's good info. Interesting about the Dmax. I know in 09 they were dealing with the introduction of the DPF and some other emission stuff, and many of the new owners were pretty annoyed so I'm not surprised you weren't happy with that truck.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks.... that's good info. Interesting about the Dmax. I know in 09 they were dealing with the introduction of the DPF and some other emission stuff, and many of the new owners were pretty annoyed so I'm not surprised you weren't happy with that truck.

Don't know if related to the constant shifting but I had the tranny lines blow out and all had to be replaced and then the transfer case service light came on shortly after. The dealer had to replace the solenoid and clear the CEL since a loaner reader wouldn't clear it. Those two things made me hesitant to up the power with a programmer. I ended up just selling it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Don't know if related to the constant shifting but I had the tranny lines blow out and all had to be replaced and then the transfer case service light came on shortly after. The dealer had to replace the solenoid and clear the CEL since a loaner reader wouldn't clear it. Those two things made me hesitant to up the power with a programmer. I ended up just selling it.

That's crazy they didn't fix those things on the redesign. My 06 had both the tranny line problem and my xfer case blew a leak and needed half of it rebuilt/replaced. I had those problems along with some front hubs and other suspension/steering parts but drove it for 150K over 8 years. I was overall happy with it but ultimately sold it for fear of upcoming repairs as I probably would any truck at that age/miles.